Home

What is your favorite pitching interface?

This is a discussion on What is your favorite pitching interface? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
MVP

Bartolo Colon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What is your favorite pitching interface?

Meter and I throw an absurd amount of wild pitches, I’m headstrong on bounces pitches with 2 strikes
Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I can agree when it comes to CPU hitting, even on Legend. But as far as analog with both control and consistency at 0 my pitchers missed their spots way too often when i had perfectly hit the line (either off the plate, or 'deep strikes' were too high)

Moving Control & Consistency was how i nailed down how often I was in the Zone. My goal was (like MLB) under 50% when pitching in games..

Like you, I also found the CPU too weak on Legend at Default hitting sliders. But, as i say, default isn't meant for Analog or Meter. Bumping up CPU Contact to 6, and CPU Power to 7 made me eventually even have to rethink sticking with Legend. The CPU became tough. Power at 7 was the key for me. That doesn't just increase CPU HR to a realistic level, it makes ground balls and everything to be hit harder, resulting in more base hits. On default CPU hitting though, i completely agree.

As for your last sentence, i agree with this also, unfortunately. But at least the game is still "tune-able" for us if we take the time. I have played a lot of games, my ERA is around 5, and i have a wide variety of CPU hitting results. CPU Babip is right near .300 which is perfect. Do you touch fielder speed and reaction?

Yes I have messed with fielding sliders but it sucks cause it impacts my offence also which I don’t want. At this point I’m seriously considering classic. I just tried it on default legend and the cpu was actually hitting and scoring runs ! Since I got the game this was the first time they felt dangerous in any way. Sucks that this is the mechanic I prefer the least but if it actually makes the game at all competitive I may give it an honest go.

For the classic users when you press and hold the pitch button down and feel the controller rumble once, does that mean the pitch will be delivered with max velocity ?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy99
Yes I have messed with fielding sliders but it sucks cause it impacts my offence also which I don’t want. At this point I’m seriously considering classic. I just tried it on default legend and the cpu was actually hitting and scoring runs ! Since I got the game this was the first time they felt dangerous in any way. Sucks that this is the mechanic I prefer the least but if it actually makes the game at all competitive I may give it an honest go.
Yes honestly that is the bad thing about the game being tuned this way. Adjusting fielding sliders from my experience is absolutely neccessary for Analog/Meter to output stats like real MLB. But it does impact Human Offense. So now THOSE sliders have to be adjusted... It can be a pain in the rear and take some time.

This is why most people settle on Classic or just play default sliders. Which is probably the best bet for most people. Most people are perfectly happy this way. They just want to be able to jump in and play. I personally just have to have very detailed MLB-like stats, which most people can usually live without, or never even notice. So I'm definitely in the minority.

But with patience, the right settings can be found, but it can take a while to test, re-adjust, test, repeat. I spent a lot of time doing this, and filling out spreadsheets etc. It was definitely a pain in the rear but once i got it, it was (and still is) the most realistic 'MLB-like' output and gameplay I've ever had. And i haven't touched my sliders since.

The way i look at, is i am going to spend hundreds of hours over the next year (or two) playing this game. For any other hobby, or anything else in my life that l am going to spend that much time with, i would invest extra time and effort getting it right. So to me it is well worth a few weeks or so of getting the game to perform as much like MLB as possible (even while everyone else is playing). The time investment far pays off and i never touch sliders after that.

But it does take patience, so most people prefer to skip it and play as the game comes. Nothing wrong with that, and if i didn't want to take that much time or effort, Classic would be the next best thing to me.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #20
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I've been using pulse since it was introduced.

I like it a lot, it's my personal favourite blend of pitcher ratings and user input, and the visual feedback is much more appealing to me.

My only gripe is that you can't choose pitch effort like you can on other interfaces.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
Pro

MJDrocks's Arena

Classic all day/every day. Ratings matter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I was a meterman before the Show came along & I'll be one when its gone

A Work in Progress
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #23
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I was a meterman before the Show came along & I'll be one when its gone
----------------
Attached Images
File Type: gif meterman.gif (1.81 MB, 87 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #24
Rookie

Ace1234NY's Arena

Analog. The control is just unmatched elsewhere. A key thing is that if I need to try to make sure to err in a certain direction in case I miss, analog allows me to do that. I get the arguments about realism and difficulty. Yes, even on default sliders the pitcher attributes factor in. You can hit the analog perfectly and still have your pitcher miss his spot. But it may not be enough. Even on default legend, it's not hard to consistently place your pitches.

Towards the end of the 18 cycle I started using Mike Lowe's sliders and it helped a lot. With the control and consistency lowered, it just wasnt possible to hit my spot every time. The CPU hitting was likewise lowered a bit to make up for the fact that you would be less precise. And I think it all worked. On default legend, the CPU could basically hit you anywhere in the zone and sometimes out of it as well. This made sense when it was so easy to control pitches that you were always painting the corners. But it wasnt realistic and it also made pitching just feel kind of random. With less control but also less CPU hitting, great placement was much harder but was also rewarded. It felt great.

Last edited by Ace1234NY; 04-22-2019 at 03:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »