Home

Major baserunning overhaul is needed

This is a discussion on Major baserunning overhaul is needed within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murray’s Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20

Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Major baserunning overhaul is needed

A couple of changes and additions I would like to see:

the show is still using the same 4 or 5 base sliding animations for every play as it has for the past however many years . SDS has done a decent job with runners heading into second on a double play , but there is very little animation variety outside of that . Its as simple as mocap sessions recording more slides for stolen base/base hit situations as well as at the plate where in each case there needs to be certain scenarios where base runners do not take such a linear route to the bag or while attempting to score a run . I will elaborate on this further later in the post

I would love to see a system similar to the rtts throwing interface in which you can select where the runner leaves his feet , or in other words how far he will be sliding from an upright running stance , and depending on timing and base running ability you may have scenarios where the runner leaps too early and does not make it all the way to the bag , or too late in which he goes sliding past and leaves himself vulnerable to being tagged due to not being on the base and having to reach back to get called safe .

In addition , correct me if im wrong but there is essentially one animation for diving to the left or right of second or third on a steal or base hit , and you only have the option to do this while sliding head first . Not only should there be better and more animations for pushing up and to the left or right on the left stick while diving head first , there needs to be an option to do the same while pushing down and left/right in order to slide foot first as well , where the runner will attempt to hook the bag with one or both arms raised in an attempt to avoid being tagged . It is actually a bit ridiculous that this is not already possible .

There also needs to be better logic used for auto sliding , how often is a guy like ed encarnacion or adrian gonzalez sliding headfirst ... low speed guys like that with not much baserunning ability should almost always be sliding foot first , whereas someone like billy hamilton or mallex smith frequently excel at diving in headfirst .

Lastly , similar to old MLB 2K games , there should be a sprinting option where you have the choice of perhaps repeatedly tapping L2+R2 ( just one of several ideas for the implementation of this concept: I dont remember how 2K did it ) to make a guy hustle on the base paths , or not pressing sprint to maintain a regular running or jogging speed . This feature would bring control to the user and add another important layer to the game by forcing fielders to be aware of a runners speed while running out a groundball , as well as during base hits , where entering an all out sprint could be the difference in a runner advancing an additional base further than expected due to an error or getting thrown out for taking a fielders arm for granted or not getting a favorable bounce off the wall .

Last edited by dlxsf18; 04-22-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Major baserunning overhaul is needed

Off-topic I guess, but i find it amazing how every year it seems they tout they’ve added A THOUSAND NEW ANIMATIONS and yet little fundamental stuff like this goes untouched for years and years. Pitcher slide-step is another one that’s been exactly the same (with zero variance) ever since it was introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
Off-topic I guess, but i find it amazing how every year it seems they tout they’ve added A THOUSAND NEW ANIMATIONS and yet little fundamental stuff like this goes untouched for years and years. Pitcher slide-step is another one that’s been exactly the same (with zero variance) ever since it was introduced.

Completely agree , although the game is strange in that you can go several fictional games or real life days where you wont see a certain animation because of the fact that many are only triggered in very specific instances .

I wonder how many unique bat flips are reserved for walk off scenarios , they should all be in the game as regular occurrences without the obvious added emotion and cutscenes a walk off base hit would warrant .
Old 04-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #4
Rookie

I agree with you. Here’s an idea to go along with it. Make the quirks actually matter and put slides as quirks. Everyone slides feet first unless they have a quirk for head first. Then guys like Javy Baez can have the swim move quirk. I don’t want everyone able to do that slide but it’d be cool to see him do it in game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »