Home

Contact - Swings & Misses - Strikeouts

This is a discussion on Contact - Swings & Misses - Strikeouts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #121
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Contact - Swings & Misses - Strikeouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I've been around these boards a long time and definitely anti-dev bashing, and this is not what I am saying but feel that this is what a comment like this can be taken as.

What I am saying is that there is a design flaw, that can be reproduced. Unfortunately, since the design flaw is subjective and skill based it is hard to get everyone to agree it is off. However, when it comes to sports we have a real-life comparison to work off of, and in real-life no matter how "skilled" you are at baseball, you strike out a lot more than you do in MLB The Show.

Also, the sliders in place to help remedy these types of things do not make an impact.

When you cannot fix something, it is broken.

I cannot change how often I strike out, no matter how bad I my swings are and I cannot fix that. It is broken. That is not an attack, that is not me yelling at the devs, or hating the game. It is me stating a finding and hope it can be fixed.

I opened a bug ticket on this the first week the game was released and it has not been addressed. I found a thread which highlights EXACTLY what I reported and experiencing and I am doubling down on it....

This is what threads and discussions are for

Saying its NOT broken may not be making an excuse but its not helping resolve the issue that is now over a dozen pages deep with examples and evidence.
I've been helping resolve and discussing the issue, I'm the one who started the thread..LOL

But to lump an issue into the category as broken, insists the actual mechanic doesn't function at all, which simply isn't true. I still strikeout, I still walk, I still swing and miss, I still foul tip,I still hit the ball, I still hit homeruns, I still hit into outs, I still do everything thats included in the mechanic of hitting, which means it's not broken.

It may have a bug, or something may need to be tuned/tightened up, or what have you, but to flat out say that hitting is broken in response to someone looking for help/answers is simply incorrect.

If hitting were broken, there would be a lot more people involved in this thread and a riot on the forums about the issue.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #122
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
The short answer is that with Directional hitting, you essentially control the timing of the swing, and while you can influence the direction of the hit, you don’t control the actual placement/location of your swing (PCI). The PCI is determined by your hitter’s attributes/ratings, and how they handle the pitch type and location you’re facing at that moment in time. This is why you can have perfect timing at a pitch in the zone and still miss, and this is actually one of the cool things about Directional hitting: it’s a bit more stats/ratings-based than zone hitting which is more reliant on user skill, so it’s awesome we have both options.
Agree....

But the problem has been that in past MLB The Shows, if your timing was off the chances of you making contact also went down. It seems like this year you are still able to make contact far too often when using Directional Hitting and swinging either Very Later or Very Early.

I believe that is the issue people are seeing with the lack of Swings and Misses on both sides of the ball, regardless of hitting/pitching method used. When a hitter, in MLB The Show 19, swings very late or very early they are making contact (fair or foul) too often.

For some reason it seems like there are swings and misses on Good Timing, and there should be. But they seem to standout more and be more offensive to the senses, because you can continuously be late or early and make contact 100% of the time and out of the the handful of times you actually make a Good Swing, on a ball down the middle, the batter whiffs? Something is off.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #123
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I've been helping resolve and discussing the issue, I'm the one who started the thread..LOL

But to lump an issue into the category as broken, insists the actual mechanic doesn't function at all, which simply isn't true. I still strikeout, I still walk, I still swing and miss, I still foul tip,I still hit the ball, I still hit homeruns, I still hit into outs, I still do everything thats included in the mechanic of hitting, which means it's not broken.

It may have a bug, or something may need to be tuned/tightened up, or what have you, but to flat out say that hitting is broken in response to someone looking for help/answers is simply incorrect.

If hitting were broken, there would be a lot more people involved in this thread and a riot on the forums about the issue.
Hitting is not broken, you're right. But a component of hitting is, which is lacks of swings and misses on bad timing. The fact I cannot fix that with sliders designed to adjust this very thing means it is broken.

Bad Timing does not yield expected results.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #124
Rookie

OVR: 0

The problem that I have with directional hitting (and I'm playing with that since The Show 16) is related to the subject of this thread.

I'm currently playing on HoF for both hitting and pitching with the Dodgers and I don't have any trouble because I'm sitting at 6-1 but, sometimes, I have the weird impression that the CPU is capable of making contact with the ball on late/early timing even when the ball is outside the zone when me, with the same pitch and the same timing, the player misses the ball.

I tried to play on Legend but it's even worse. I'll post some images when I can.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #125
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

15 minutes of gameplay from my last game against the Cubs.

Aside from Schwarber's hit on a pitch out of the zone and the PCI not close, nothing else really looked out of place to me.

This is default legend, using meter and zone hitting...obviously.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #126
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
15 minutes of gameplay from my last game against the Cubs.

Aside from Schwarber's hit on a pitch out of the zone and the PCI not close, nothing else really looked out of place to me.

This is default legend, using meter and zone hitting...obviously.

That’s exactly how I play and I SUCK at hitting. What tips can you pass on?

Meter pitching and I don’t K a lot of hitters and Zone hitting and I K a ton

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #127
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

1) Know your hitters hot/cold zones and tendencies
2) Pick a spot and/or pitch to sit on. Easier than trying to react to every pitch
3) Don't be afraid to get to 2 strikes
4) USE THE BATTER/PITCHER ANALYSIS to pick up tendencies of the pitcher, see past ab's, and to pick up patterns

Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #128
Banned

51shergie's Arena

OVR: 0

Something else important: your attitude before every pitch should be: this is probably gonna be a ball

This year more than ever you have to make the cpu throw you a good pitch. If you ever get deep in a count hold R2 before a pitch to see the pitches you’ve been thrown, you’ll be surprised how many pitches are not in the zone.

Lastly, quick counts plays totally different to me. In qc i rake, when play every pitch its much more difficult to hit

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »