Home

Stealing is Impossible

This is a discussion on Stealing is Impossible within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12
Stealing is Impossible

In years past I’ve stole bases a little too easy this year my rate is 51%. I’ve moved the slider up and still get hosed even with a good lead and jump. So frustrating because they still on me easily and I get hosed almost every time. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Stealing is Impossible

The key is to hold down on L2 and then release as soon as the pitcher begins his movement (in some cases, you might catch him 'napping' and can get away with releasing early). Using good situational baseball tactics in knowing what counts/out situations to run on is also critical. Also have good knowledge of the battery's ratings/quirks.

I tend to hit 70-75% of my attempts and I am quite admittedly too aggressive at times.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

My main issue with stealing is you essentially can not steal if the CPU slidesteps because it will almost always be an automatic out even with a speed demon, and even on offspeed pitches, and every pitcher seems to have an amazing slidestep. It’s not realistic, but it’s what we have, so you can’t really just run on a good count: you also have to get lucky and hope you also go on a pitch when they’re not going to slidestep (because even an offspeed pitch is usually an out if they slidestep unless it bounces), which basically just comes down to luck. I’ve found that they’ll often use it for the first 2 pitches then you are usually safe to go on the third pitch, but it definitely varies. Sometimes they go every other pitch, etc. Sometimes you just have to run on a fastball count just because you think they won’t slidestep at that point in the sequence, which is far from ideal, but not much we can do about it as adjusting sliders doesn’t seem to help a whole lot with this.

I often will even just go back to first if I get a good jump when the CPU slidesteps because you’re more likely to make it back than you are to make it to 2nd, even if you’re already halfway....

I’m really hoping they tone the slidestep down in a patch because it just feels unbalanced compared to real life, both the effectiveness and the rate at which it’s used by virtually all CPU pitchers.

However, with that said, the stealing mechanic itself is awesome and has always been one of my favorite parts of the game. If they can balance the slidestep out a bit, I’d be thrilled.

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-12-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

It's not hard if you do it in the right situations. My top two base stealing threats are a combined 73 successful steals in 77 attempts.

You gotta run on the right counts.

DON'T run on 0-0, 0-1, or 1-1 counts. Those are times when the CPU might pitch out.

I have found that even 1-0 counts aren't good counts to run on.

Best counts to run on are 2-0, 2-1, 3-0, 3-1. Those counts the CPU is less likely to pitch out, or use a slide step, because they don't want to throw another ball.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasRocks
In years past I’ve stole bases a little too easy this year my rate is 51%. I’ve moved the slider up and still get hosed even with a good lead and jump. So frustrating because they still on me easily and I get hosed almost every time. Any suggestions?
Don’t even worry about a lead or holding and releasing L2. Just press L2 once, the. Hold L1 in through the pitchers pitch.

The idea is that your runner is leaning and can get a good jump on the pitch, and because he did not take a lead, it does not draw the pitchers attention. Try it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I was glad when SDS separated fielder arm strength into ''infield'' & ''outfield'',
now they need to add 2 more sliders: Catcher Arm Strength & Catcher Accuracy.

A Work in Progress
Old 06-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

I have yet to see a side step in actual MLB this year. But yet it happens every at bat in this game when a halfway speedy guy is on first. This game needs tendency sliders. They distinguish players individual likelihood of doing things like this and things like throwing to first on a pick off.

#2 in your program, #1 in our hearts. You will be missed, Red.

- Rick Wise
Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
I have yet to see a side step in actual MLB this year. But yet it happens every at bat in this game when a halfway speedy guy is on first. This game needs tendency sliders. They distinguish players individual likelihood of doing things like this and things like throwing to first on a pick off.

#2 in your program, #1 in our hearts. You will be missed, Red.

Yep, it really needs to be toned down. It’s used in real baseball, but not to this extent, and it’s certainly not an automatic out like it usually is in The Show.

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-13-2018 at 05:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »