Home

Changing positions of prospects?

This is a discussion on Changing positions of prospects? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Changing positions of prospects?

I often will switch guys to spots where their overall decreases.

My understanding is that in many cases, it will actually make them better in the long run. Potential (if I’m correct in how it works) reflects a cap on their overall rating. If a guy has an 80 overall and an 88 potential, then his individual attributes can increase until his overall reaches 88. If you move him to anoosition where his overall is a 78, for example, then his individual attributes stay the same but have a little more room to grow before his overall reaches the cap. So the end result is he’s a better player.

I only do that if the move makes sense, though. And almost always restrict moved to secondary positions the guy already has (although I’ll also add secondary positions in the minors).

Moving a guy from left field to center or right almost always results in an overall drop (I’ve never seen it NOT go down), but if he’s a great defensive player with speed, he makes more sense in center. If he has a great arm, I want him in right. Likewise first to third; if he’s a good defender with a strong arm, I’d consider a move to third despite his overall dropping. Same for starters to relievers if they lack stamina. Overall drops in all cases, but for young prospects who need to develop a few years anyway, the eventual peak will be better.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Changing positions of prospects?

I generally do this if it makes sense with their stats. For example I will switch a 1B with good fielding and a good arm to 3B or possibly catcher. A good speedy 2B with a weak arm and sub-par fielding I might change to a LF. An aging slugging LF I might make them a 1B. I also almost always switch guys from LF to RF depending on how I want them on my roster so they aren't playing their "2nd" position all of the time. I usually try and make it their 2nd position for one year and then flip them after the season is over to try and make them accustomed to it.

I do this all the time in the offseason. I find if you do it during the season their green or red progression/regression arrows dissapear. I'm not sure if it gets reset or not but I would think so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »