Home

Changing positions of prospects?

This is a discussion on Changing positions of prospects? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murray’s Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20

Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Changing positions of prospects?

I'm playing as the Marlins in the now 2021 season. I have a 20 year old 3B prospect who is an absolute STUD at 80 overall and has A potential. He can also play RF. I'd like to bring him up at some point after the all star break when he'll likely be around 81-82 overall.

My problem is that I already have Brian Anderson (who is a 90 overall) playing 3B and David Bote playing 2B. My entire infield is pretty crowded in general.

If I change my 3B prospect to be a RF, will that impact his potential/overall ratings at all and hurt his progression in the big leagues?

I definitely want to play this right because he's the best prospect I've ever drafted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Hunt for October Begins!

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Changing positions of prospects?

It could change his overall (either up or down) depending on his other attributes for that position.

I don't know that it will effect his progression at all. I do this quite often in the offseason for both myself and computer teams, but only if the move keeps overall the same or improves it. Haven't seen any adverse effects on progression doing so.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
It could change his overall (either up or down) depending on his other attributes for that position.

I don't know that it will effect his progression at all. I do this quite often in the offseason for both myself and computer teams, but only if the move keeps overall the same or improves it. Haven't seen any adverse effects on progression doing so.
Ok that's good news. I'm ok with the overall going down a point or two. The potential is where I was worried the most. Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Pro

kinsmen7's Arena

It's a bit of a shame that the training in this game is so thin/shoddy.

I'd love to be able to develop prospects at different positions, but I'm ok with just changing them.

Does anyone do it for players on other teams? Always thought a guy like Schwarber would make for an interesting first baseman (Moneyball: "It's incredibly hard!"), and given that the outlook for Vlad Jr. seems to be a switch to first/DH at some point, I'll likely add it in as a secondary position.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Hunt for October Begins!

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Yes I do it every offseason. Helps the CPU balance its roster.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Pro

Funkycorm's Arena

There will be no potential change.

I frequently see corner outfielders have better attributes to be CF and vice versa. E.g. changing SF CF prospect Heliot Ramos from center to a corner outfielder yields a 4-5 point overall increase. I will do it frequently with SS to 2b if a team is loaded at SS and weak at second.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

I do it all the time. It won’t affect potential or attributes but will affect overall rating based on how the skill set fits the position.

In my experience , 1B, 3B and RF show the biggest rating change with power and throwing contributing to the disparity. If I switch their position, I’ll just edit them up (or down) depending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »