Home

Prospect Progression?

This is a discussion on Prospect Progression? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Prospect Progression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpersak
If/when you draft a prospect who is already 21 or 22, do you typically put them in AAA right away since they're older or do you still stick them in AA or A to build up their stats first?

I typically tend to stay away from the 22 year olds, obviously, since they're older to begin with but sometimes you see one that you can't pass on in the draft.
Those guys I will typically stick in double A unless they are absolute garbage. The scouting system in mlb the show 19 is way to simple and easy so I hardly ever have drafted a garbage player
Old 05-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I know this has been discussed before but I don't remember the answer. Can a prospect's potential change? If so, I don't ever remember seeing it happen in my game.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Those guys I will typically stick in double A unless they are absolute garbage. The scouting system in mlb the show 19 is way to simple and easy so I hardly ever have drafted a garbage player
To piggyback off of this, if a 22-23-24 year old player's overall is absolute garbage, but their potential is high, I'll either:

-Edit their age back to 18 to keep some semblance of realism. I haven't found that there's a realistic number of high school-ers available in the draft. This can help with that (this could be just in mine, but there were only 5 18 year olds drafted in the first 2.5 rounds of my draft this season)
-Leave them as they are, see how they develop in A ball for a year, and if it isn't great, release them.

Obviously the big issue here is the 90 man roster limit. With so few spots, it's hard to have these mid-20's guys with low overall ratings (regardless of potential), stew in the minors because as soon as you get a few injuries, you have to start drawing from the other, younger prospects that, as soon as you bring them to the majors, will stunt their development.

If the Show and OOTP had a baby (they're not going to, but it's fun to dream!), I wonder how huge the download file would be...because what a friggin' game that'd be!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #12
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I know this has been discussed before but I don't remember the answer. Can a prospect's potential change? If so, I don't ever remember seeing it happen in my game.
Yup! After a month or so, when you open up the player card, some players will either have a green arrow pointed up, or a red arrow pointing down right next to where their potential grade is.

I don't think it's ever drastic, but it will pop up and down with some players depending on how they're progressing.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Yup! After a month or so, when you open up the player card, some players will either have a green arrow pointed up, or a red arrow pointing down right next to where their potential grade is.

I don't think it's ever drastic, but it will pop up and down with some players depending on how they're progressing.
Just checked my players and one of my A prospects at the start of the year (Nico Hoerner) is now a B prospect. What the crap? Ugh, I guess it goes both ways, ha.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Just checked my players and one of my A prospects at the start of the year (Nico Hoerner) is now a B prospect. What the crap? Ugh, I guess it goes both ways, ha.
Haha, yup...

I haven't really been following too closely on the actual potential ratings (the number values) so far, but I'm assuming the ones you'll really notice are the 89-90, 79-80. I doubt they drop or rise significantly, but there's a bit of change here and there for sure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »