Home

Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

This is a discussion on Franchise “Micro-transaction” model within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murray’s Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Jun 2009
Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

I was reading Gagnon39 thread about DD V. Franchise and as someone who didn’t play any DD, how much more could be done with DD? If not much, is it time to focus back on franchise mode? I’m no way really endorsing what I’m about to ask (though I would probably give in) but wanted to see what others thought?

As we know, SDS is a for-profit company thus it makes sense to focus on what yields the most return. DD allows Microtransactions which is a consistent revenue stream, and until franchise can have some sort of way to match that, i personally think we won’t see franchise to the fullest that many of us at OS are hoping for. After all, most franchise guys buy the game for $60 and never spend a dime more.

What if SDS built in “franchise downloadable content”? Want relocate/expansion? Buy “relocation/expansion pack”. Want to build a stadium? “stadium build” downloadable content is for you. All for XYZ amount, etc. At minimum, it would be nothing more then season mode to maximum, a fully featured virtual GM experience. There would be layers to this but you get the idea.

Would you be willing to spent money on that?

The DD guys are willing to if the market is there, SDS will do it because again,it yields a high return.

I’m not hoping for this but I don’t think it’s that far fetched. Either that, or loot box laws prohibit games from Microtransactions so the focus is put back on offline modes.

For me personally, push come to shove, I would be willing to shell out extra cash to have a full deep dive franchise experience. I actually think $60 for a years worth of entertainment is pretty cheap. How much would I? I’m not quite sure, might be how good the experience could be.

Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by hockeyyt988; 05-23-2019 at 10:06 PM.
hockeyyt988 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

I think SDS wouldn't make to much profit. EA Dosnt do it either. Fifa has only couple Language for commentary.
piffbernd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
Rookie
 
Ace2734's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

Would need to be done carefully but still not the way to go in my opinion. For a loose example, the micro transaction model deployed by EA and Dice for Stars Wars Battflefront made being a competitive player very costly. Literally.

I think there’s potential to do it with franchise mode just like with their beloved diamond dynasty, but it can’t be the whole model.

A compromise for me would be to properly utilize stubs. Allow users to use stubs to purchase upgrades, assets, gear, stadium enhancements, sounds, progression points, etc.

It’s promising to me that at least this year you can earn more stubs in franchise. However there is still only one purpose for them: buying budget space.

There’s so much untapped potential to franchise (the model has been done with MVP) and we’re just waiting for something in that direction.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ace2734 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Jun 2003
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

If my choices were either play in the existing stadium or pay real money to create a new one, I’d play in the existing one every single time. And I imagine most people would, as well.

What makes DD microtransactions work IMO (and I do think they’re fairly implemented) is that you don’t HAVE to spend real money on anything. Microtransactions are imply a way to expedite the existing process.

Compare that to microtransactions for create a stadium or expansion. Now you’re talking about features being locked behind a paywall, which is totally different. People will likely just go without instead.

For microtransactions to work in franchise, I think they have to be related to features everyone has access to without spending real money.

For the create-a-stadium option, for example, maybe there could be an exchange system where you trade X number of stadium cards (which already exist in the game) to build one new stadium. You can do that without spending a dime of real money. Just have to collect those stadium cards through regular play.

Could do the same thing for expansion teams. Want to run a franchise with a team you make yourself? Collect Y number of cards of a certain type and trade them in (say, one common, bronze, silver and gold for every team for an “expansion draft,” plus X stadium cards to create a stadium). That unlocks the ability to create one franchise save with an expansion team, where you then get access to the full mode (aren’t actually locked into using the cards you trade in).

That would be a major pain in the *** if you just want to play franchise and never think about DD stuff, but it still falls in the realm of free content that exists for everyone but you can pay to take the fast track.

If it’s just straight “expansion team costs $Y, and that’s the only way you can do it,” I can’t see that being successful at all.

Now, if you’re talking full-on expansion/stadium creator DLC, that’s a bit different and not really a microtransaction discussion, but I don’t see that being successful for them.
moTIGS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 PM   #5
Rookie
 
Jeffrey Smith's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

Video games are 80$ plus tax up here in Canada. I don’t think I’d spend more than that. Not even for The Show.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
__________________
MLB: TORONTO BLUE JAYS
NFL: MINNESOTA VIKINGS
NHL: TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Jeffrey Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #6
Moderator
 
kehlis's Arena
 
OVR: 41
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 24,451
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyyt988
I’m not hoping for this but I don’t think it’s that far fetched. Either that, or loot box laws prohibit games from Microtransactions so the focus is put back on offline modes.
I think it's wishful thinking to assume that if loot box laws actually came to fruition here that it would result in a shift from other modes back to offline modes.
kehlis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Jun 2009
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think it's wishful thinking to assume that if loot box laws actually came to fruition here that it would result in a shift from other modes back to offline modes.


That’s a good point. Wishful thinking indeed. Sometimes I wish online gaming never occurred. The mid 2000s were prime for yearly franchise mode improvements.

I still think the show does a great job with franchise. Is there room for improvement? Of course but still very enjoyable.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
hockeyyt988 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Rookie
 
JHodges57's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Victoria, Tx
Re: Franchise “Micro-transaction” model

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyyt988
I was reading Gagnon39 thread about DD V. Franchise and as someone who didn’t play any DD, how much more could be done with DD? If not much, is it time to focus back on franchise mode? I’m no way really endorsing what I’m about to ask (though I would probably give in) but wanted to see what others thought?

As we know, SDS is a for-profit company thus it makes sense to focus on what yields the most return. DD allows Microtransactions which is a consistent revenue stream, and until franchise can have some sort of way to match that, i personally think we won’t see franchise to the fullest that many of us at OS are hoping for. After all, most franchise guys buy the game for $60 and never spend a dime more.

What if SDS built in “franchise downloadable content”? Want relocate/expansion? Buy “relocation/expansion pack”. Want to build a stadium? “stadium build” downloadable content is for you. All for XYZ amount, etc. At minimum, it would be nothing more then season mode to maximum, a fully featured virtual GM experience. There would be layers to this but you get the idea.

Would you be willing to spent money on that?

The DD guys are willing to if the market is there, SDS will do it because again,it yields a high return.

I’m not hoping for this but I don’t think it’s that far fetched. Either that, or loot box laws prohibit games from Microtransactions so the focus is put back on offline modes.

For me personally, push come to shove, I would be willing to shell out extra cash to have a full deep dive franchise experience. I actually think $60 for a years worth of entertainment is pretty cheap. How much would I? I’m not quite sure, might be how good the experience could be.

Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I would pay $100 - $150 dollars up front for a full game, but I will never pay for microtransactions in any game. The day I am faced with having to pay to be able to be competitive is the day I stop playing (ie NBA2k). Haven't bought it in 2 years. I don't play any game on-line against others and have no plans to ever do so. If I have to pay more and more to play a game solo......no way.

To me, games are not THAT important to me to be constantly shelling out money to play them. I have other things I can do.

Last edited by JHodges57; 05-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.
JHodges57 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.

Top -