Home

#AutoDefense4Life!!!!

This is a discussion on #AutoDefense4Life!!!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: #AutoDefense4Life!!!!

as far as I have seen from shots from "CONTENT CREATORS" who are playing on much higher levels than mine that I think the studio has nerfed the stubs system this year.

I have seen content creators getting very similar numbers per half inning as I do even oh AS, or HOF depending on how they play...

just like most games with this type of system... SDS has made it all about the grind...

I can remember getting like 0-100 XP on a rookie for the offense and maybe 200 max per inning on rookie...

then I would see the content creators getting 400-600 per inning on defense and offense. this was back in 17 I think...

but now they have made it, all the same, to make you have to play more to get higher... UNLESS you're a DD player and they seem to be leaping levels and everything like nothing...

anyway if XP is important to you I guess test it out... see if I'm right or I'm just seeing things...

I just think we would have much less bellyaching over fielding if people would choose to use auto...

if you don't believe me go watch kevingohd, shelfy, koogs or any of them for a while...and see it for yourself...

I love watching them I do.. but all the bitching about fielding is just stupid...

next year when they go to SDS (in their new studio by the way) they as a unit need to go talk and sit with the animations team that does the coding and talk with them about it if it REALLY matters that much to them...

ok, I need to take my calm pills lol ...

Last edited by mlblover15; 07-23-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #18
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2

Just like many of you, I jumped over to auto fielding in MLB 17 and haven’t looked back. I do however play with buttons so I got to make the throws. That brings me to a quick question?

Does it matter when you hit the throw button on auto fielding? IE- say I’m throwing to cut off guy, can I click it when ball is on the way or does he get his best throw from waiting till animation is in motion (aka receiving the ball)?

May not matter, I just notice sometimes a studder when clicking too soon and wonder if that could be causing it

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

I always pre-load my throws - immediately after the ball is hit and I know where it's going I will press the button. I have not noticed any lag between catching and throwing unless it is intentionally part of the animation (IE the infielder taking his time to throw).
Old 07-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cripes
I always pre-load my throws - immediately after the ball is hit and I know where it's going I will press the button. I have not noticed any lag between catching and throwing unless it is intentionally part of the animation (IE the infielder taking his time to throw).
You brought up a good point here - I'm not sure people always realize when the fielder knows he can take his time and have a drawn-out, casual animation for a throw. But I can tell you how you can see the urgency in this game when the game knows it needs to be there.

Go into custom practice as the batting team, and set up a repeatable situation with a runner on 2nd and less than two outs. It's probably best to use directional for this as you can influence the hit type, but just spend some time hitting ground balls to the infielders. With that runner on 2nd, you won't see the kinds of double-pump throws, crow-hop throws, etc. that you do with nobody on - the ball will be gone to first as quick as the fielder can go through a throw animation. Remove that runner from the practice, and you'll see the casual plays again, as long as the batter isn't fast enough to make the play at 1st close.

That's why the complaints of there being no throw urgency in this game (not saying anyone's doing that here in this thread) drive me up a wall. And as long as the user is properly preloading their throw, they'll get that same urgency when it needs to be there.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #21
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
You brought up a good point here - I'm not sure people always realize when the fielder knows he can take his time and have a drawn-out, casual animation for a throw. But I can tell you how you can see the urgency in this game when the game knows it needs to be there.

Go into custom practice as the batting team, and set up a repeatable situation with a runner on 2nd and less than two outs. It's probably best to use directional for this as you can influence the hit type, but just spend some time hitting ground balls to the infielders. With that runner on 2nd, you won't see the kinds of double-pump throws, crow-hop throws, etc. that you do with nobody on - the ball will be gone to first as quick as the fielder can go through a throw animation. Remove that runner from the practice, and you'll see the casual plays again, as long as the batter isn't fast enough to make the play at 1st close.

That's why the complaints of there being no throw urgency in this game (not saying anyone's doing that here in this thread) drive me up a wall. And as long as the user is properly preloading their throw, they'll get that same urgency when it needs to be there.

That answer my question perfectly, thank you! I was under this impression as well, just didn’t know if there was a “best practice” per say.

Auto fielding makes the game look so much more fluid and really allows fielding ratings to play out. Especially with the increased emphasis on fielding in this years game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #22
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

OVR: 0

Auto fielding is the best way to go. I get great animations and fast reaction plays id never be able to get on manual or assist

Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
AUTO field, MANUAL throw.......perfect.
Same for me.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #24
All Star

TNKNGM's Arena

OVR: 14

I've been doing auto field with manual throwing for so many years now that I can't remember the last time I used anything other than auto fielding

I love being able to enjoy watching my fielders make the play (or not) and focus on preloading my throw. You also don't have the awkward movements and angles that come along with manually controlling the fielder. This is especially important on gappers and balls that bounce off the wall. I play as Boston so it makes life so much less frustrating playing balls off the green monster.

I have not even considered controlling my fielders in probably 5 to 7 years

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »