Home

Thru 40 games we lead the majors in walks drawn

This is a discussion on Thru 40 games we lead the majors in walks drawn within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #65
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Thru 40 games we lead the majors in walks drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamhat1915
I'm too impatient to lead in walks. I just cannot let myself let any pitch in the zone go. I feel like I have to swing at pitches in the zone, no matter where they are, and end up getting fooled and make an out. I have a pretty good eye when batting and can usually tell when they'll be a ball or strike, but I don't work counts to get myself into a position to take balls.
Though I believe I know the culprit behind that mindset for me. It's just getting past it and not worrying about striking out lol
But congrats on taking so many walks! Teach me your ways
My first franchise year on '19 I was near the bottom, in walks drawn. I would swing at what I thought were hittable pitches instead of hitting pitches that were "mistakes". I constantly had a two strike approach to hitting.

This season, I just told myself that I'm going to pay attention to my hitter's hot zones and look for pitches in those locations until the situation forced me to not be as selective. Thus far, through 60 some odd games, its worked, but I still have those games where I swing at anything...

I've had my share of backwards k's, either on bad strike three calls or looking for something completely different than what the pitcher delivered.

Really nothing more than forcing myself to be more patient/selective at the plate.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
My first franchise year on '19 I was near the bottom, in walks drawn. I would swing at what I thought were hittable pitches instead of hitting pitches that were "mistakes". I constantly had a two strike approach to hitting.

This season, I just told myself that I'm going to pay attention to my hitter's hot zones and look for pitches in those locations until the situation forced me to not be as selective. Thus far, through 60 some odd games, its worked, but I still have those games where I swing at anything...

I've had my share of backwards k's, either on bad strike three calls or looking for something completely different than what the pitcher delivered.

Really nothing more than forcing myself to be more patient/selective at the plate.
I wish personalized ump traits were more well documented. I know we've attempted to make note of this over the years but I always lose track. I know if I had a reliable cheat sheet, I wouldnt have to do my homework and I believe I'd get better than a marginal increase in my walks. And I would really exploit it when pitching lol

A Work in Progress
Old 08-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 0

Wow your strikeout numbers are right on. How on earth do you manage to strikeout the cpu 8 times per game on average?

Countryboy Any tips ? I’m on default meter and only average 5 or 6. They just make too much contact and don’t foul enough balls. How do you approach them? I find my starters a to be the problem
Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #68
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy99
Wow your strikeout numbers are right on. How on earth do you manage to strikeout the cpu 8 times per game on average?

Countryboy Any tips ? I’m on default meter and only average 5 or 6. They just make too much contact and don’t foul enough balls. How do you approach them? I find my starters a to be the problem
Luck?

I don't know man, I just utilize my pitchers best pitch as much as possible, try to keep hitters off balance/guessing, and do my best not to fall into patterns when pitching, by using the Pitcher/Batter analysis screen.

It's honestly nothing more than that.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #69
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Luck?

I don't know man, I just utilize my pitchers best pitch as much as possible, try to keep hitters off balance/guessing, and do my best not to fall into patterns when pitching, by using the Pitcher/Batter analysis screen.

It's honestly nothing more than that.

Do u vary the meter speeds? Sometimes full sometimes half etc?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #70
Pro

Quote:

Do u also looks at the confidence meter for each pitch?
Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #71
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Absolutely. And I try to keep "like" pitches at the same meter speed during an at bat. I liken this to the pitches coming out of the same area of the pitchers hand.

Ex: If my pitcher has a fastball/slider combo, I'll try to pitch each one of those at the same meter speed to a hitter during an at-bat.

Quote:
Do u also looks at the confidence meter for each pitch?
Yes. And just because a pitcher may have 4 or 5 pitches, doesn't mean that you have to use them all, or at least equally.

If I feel that a pitcher doesn't have a pitch, no matter what it is, then I become extremely selective on when I use that particular pitch. A game I'm playing right now, Funkhouser doesn't yet have a feel on his splitter (5th pitch). I've thrown it a couple of times and it just isn't doing anything, so that pitch will most likely not be used the rest of the game, or if so, I'll likely throw it out of the zone simply as a "show me pitch" to give the hitter something else to think about.

The AI in this game, especially on higher levels, is very good at picking up patterns both when hitting and pitching. If you can avoid pitching a routine over and over, you'll have a better opportunity of success at not only getting the hitter out with weak contact, but striking them out as well.

And yes sometimes, even when you feel as though, and may have done, everything right, it still goes wrong.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #72
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

You seem to accept that stance. That means everything you say in the future about anything will be critically analyzed. It wont matter if you're wrong, though. You'll just ignore it.
Next year is another year. OS needs to do something about equality. Seriously. ONE dude makes a post about his season walk stats without settings or sliders or difficulties.. and it's on the Show main page???? That's just terrible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »