Home

Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse?

This is a discussion on Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 11-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
You'll Float Too!!!

PhilliesFan13's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Bryce Harper starting a new video game curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I think itís the height of irony, leaving a team to win a World Series only for your old team to win it. Heís getting trolled badly on Twitter, had he shown some humility and tweeted congrats to the Nationals it would have been old news but he canít bring himself to. Heís probably the kind of douche who will tell reporters not to ask him about it when Spring Training rolls around.
Yeah well he actually did wish all of his former teammates well and was happy for all of his friends over there. He didn't need to use Twitter. The words actually came out of his mouth in an interview here a few weeks ago so....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

PhilliesFan1320 YouTube Channel

PhilliesFan1320 Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #26
3/13/2020

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This is one of the more intriguing player team changes in sports, imo, with Harper going from the Nationals to the Phillies and how the two teams fared the first season after the change:

Phillies 2018 went 80-82 without Harper. In 2019 with Harper they improve to 81-81.

Nationals 2018 went 82-80 with Harper. In 2019 without Harper they go 93-69 and win the World Series.

I've been thinking about any other sport where one year removed from a marquee player switching teams that such a drastic difference in first year results post move.

I know there are many more factors involved than just Harper, but I personally find it very intriguing.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 11-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #27
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
This is one of the more intriguing player team changes in sports, imo, with Harper going from the Nationals to the Phillies and how the two teams fared the first season after the change:

Phillies 2018 went 80-82 without Harper. In 2019 with Harper they improve to 81-81.

Nationals 2018 went 82-80 with Harper. In 2019 without Harper they go 93-69 and win the World Series.

I've been thinking about any other sport where one year removed from a marquee player switching teams that such a drastic difference in first year results post move.

I know there are many more factors involved than just Harper, but I personally find it very intriguing.
Not quite in the same year but this comes pretty close.
Wayne Gretzky traded to La from Edmonton just prior to 1988-89 season.
1989-90 season Edmonton win Stanley cup and on route thrash LA 4-0 in the 2nd round for good measure.
Wayne never wins another cup....
Old 11-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
All Star

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Dale Murphy left Atlanta for Philly in August of '90, the next year the Braves go from worst to World Series. of course, by 1990, Murph was just a shell of his former self.

not a drastic turnaround for Tennessee Volunteers from '97 to '98, but it did take Peyton Manning moving on for the Vols to win a natty (and to beat Florida and Darth Visor).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »