Home

The Los Angeles Angels "of Anaheim" Commentary Audio.

This is a discussion on The Los Angeles Angels "of Anaheim" Commentary Audio. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 10-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #17
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Los Angeles Angels "of Anaheim" Commentary Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Have no idea what was wrong with the name Anaheim Angels. They used that name from 1997-2004 and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Nobody confused them with the Dodgers or any other crap.

What was wrong with the name California Angels that they used for nearly 30 years or so?
Nowadays it's all about merchandising and brand identity. Add the name "Los Angeles" to any sports franchise you're immediately going to increase its marketability and value.

I may have my facts mixed up, but I did read somewhere that the "of Anaheim" tag came about when the Angels entered their stadium agreement with the city. One of the stipulations was that the team kept Anaheim as part of their name. So they switched to LA and tagged Anaheim on the end, those crafty devils. I mean Angels.

Last edited by Turbojugend; 10-31-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #18
Rookie

Pontiac, MI is an actual (horrible) city in Michigan, but I'm sure glad that the Pistons and Lions didn't change their names to the Pontiac Lions and Pontiac Pistons while they were there. Auburn Hills Pistons would have been even worse once they moved there, although I have to say that The Palace of Auburn Hills was nowhere near in need of replacement when the Pistons abandoned it.

I'm sure that California is a completely different story, but here in Michigan, teams follow the money. 30 years ago, the rich people were moving out of the city of Detroit in droves, so some of the teams followed. Now, it's "cool" for rich people to live downtown in Detroit. I'm not rich, so I guess I don't get a vote. Shrugs.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Don't forget the best sports franchise ever to emerge from the state of Michigan; the Flint Tropics.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

I never understood why people get on the Angels for claiming L.A., but not other sports teams. Half of New York sports teams play in New Jersey, a whole other state, but no one says anything.

It's not like the Angels don't have connections to L.A. The Pacific Coast League and MLB Angels started in L.A. The Dodgers hat logo was originally worn by Angels.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
All Star

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
I never understood why people get on the Angels for claiming L.A., but not other sports teams. Half of New York sports teams play in New Jersey, a whole other state, but no one says anything.

It's not like the Angels don't have connections to L.A. The Pacific Coast League and MLB Angels started in L.A. The Dodgers hat logo was originally worn by Angels.
Probably because they used the name LA then went to Anaheim, then went back to the LA name. I'm trying to think of another sports franchise that did the same but the Angels are the only one that come to mind right off.

On a related (or unrelated lol) note this is one of my pet peeves with Auburn University. They've changed their name from East Alabama to A&M of Alabama to Alabama Polytechnic Institute to finally Auburn. Once they turned their back on the state name, that eliminated any chance of me rooting for them. Of course I can understand why they had to change their name the last time. Recruiting in college sports is a nasty and brutal game and once they tarnished the Alabama name in the 1950's it just became to hard to overcome in recruiting with the stigma they created relating to the name Alabama. I know it was convenient at that time to for them to say, well, we were unofficially Auburn all that time so we wanted to reflect that, but the truth is the recruiting scandal is the real reason for the Auburn name change.
sorry for the rant/history lesson. November and the Iron Bowl always dredges up the past FBOW
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »