Home

Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

This is a discussion on Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Fact or Fiction: MLB The Show 19 Is the Sports Game of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don’t play other sports games anymore so I can’t compare but if it is better than the others, it does not automatically make it game of the year material imo. This game is like a veteran in the tail end of his contract. There are flashes of greatness but not nearly as good or reliable as he used to be.
lol if the Show was a current player, it would be more Albert Pujols. Hoping the PS5 is a rebirth for the Show and it becomes Soto or Acuna.

A Work in Progress
Old 11-01-2019, 04:20 AM   #18
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

Well it probably is but it’s not like their up against any other decent sports game lol! So they win by default.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #19
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don’t play other sports games anymore so I can’t compare but if it is better than the others, it does not automatically make it game of the year material imo. This game is like a veteran in the tail end of his contract. There are flashes of greatness but not nearly as good or reliable as he used to be.
This is the best way to describe The Show for me this year.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
Rookie

KennyJ1976's Arena

OVR: 0
If it ever was a year for you guys to skip SGOTY, this would be it. * There was absolutely no progression in sports games this year. * It would probably be more intriguing to give *a sports games disappointment of the year award.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 6
Moments concept was excellent this year. The weekly updates to mimic real life events 2nd to none. The only thing to improve in is more offline single player modes in dd.*

For only one baseball game without competition SDS could have mailed it in yearly like EA/Madden. But the don’t. They keep raising the bar. That’s impressive in today’s video game age.*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #22
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Overall, I'd say I agree with nemesis overall...to me it's still good, just not the standard that it once was.

Also, are we comparing it to the "20s" or other "19s?" For ME, NBA 2K has been a better experience as a franchise player than MLB for a few years now (obviously meaningless if you're not into basketball though). I just don't see how The Show's franchise gets to where it needs to be, now that March to October is there to pull even more focus. I really don't like how they spent multiple iterations to make franchise more accessible rather than expanding it and then turning around and making a brand new mode for that same base, making franchise feel more back burner than ever. I just don't see the same consistent iterative vision that I once did...feels more reactionary lately and the constant "maybe next year" franchise sentiment is frustrating.

Anyway, I understand that 2K20 is reportedly a mess (skipped it, as the additions to MyLeague weren't worth the switch, given all the other crap, so I don't know firsthand), so I get why that wouldn't compare favorably. Plus, the grimy monetizing practices of 2K keep getting worse and The Show is still a fundamentally good game with a deservedly respected dev team, so it's easy to see why people would call this GOTY worthy. So, it's a fair enough pick, at least. It's just a shame that the shine has definitely worn off for me.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

Also, are we comparing it to the "20s" or other "19s?"
Well, baseball games are always identified with the release year (since the season finishes in the same calendar year, unlike the other sports which identifies by the following year)....so comparing MLB 19 to the other 20's is appropriate IMO.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
THE SHOW for me is a presentation upgrade away from being GOTY. *THE intentional bland commentary desperately needs an upgrade. * THE SHOW's presentation and commentary in todays day and age should be as lively as MLB2k12/13.

I did agree. But you’re correct. It is indeed time to upgrade the presentation again.

It’s been good for a long while. Just kinda stale.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »