Home

Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20

This is a discussion on Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

OVR: 0
Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20

Ever find yourself in a Moments mission when you are trying for XBHs and the lead runner from first refuses to take that extra base when there is no reason not to....?

Me too.

Ever hit a rocket with your RTTS player to the wall and the lead runner from first refuses to take third, costing you yet another XBH...?

Me too.

I'm really hoping that MLBTS20 has some revision or overhaul for CPU baserunning.

In the past yearly cycles, they've worked on (and continue to work on) hitting and defense. They've touched a tiny bit of baserunning where it relates to cheese, and of course, tags and tag animations.

But this YouTube video from the AMAZING Matt Antonelli really brings out some of the major issues with baserunning (CPU specifically).

Plug for Antonelli Baseball, if you haven't watched any of his RTTS videos, please do so. You'll enjoy them and he really has a great perspective about the mechanics of the game from the standpoint of a former professional player.

I'm hoping that in the future SDS can work with him in some degree to tighten up gameplay and mechanics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

Re: Praying for CPU baserunning updates/overhaul in MLBTS20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbekoscke
Ever find yourself in a Moments mission when you are trying for XBHs and the lead runner from first refuses to take that extra base when there is no reason not to....?

Me too.

Ever hit a rocket with your RTTS player to the wall and the lead runner from first refuses to take third, costing you yet another XBH...?

Me too.

I'm really hoping that MLBTS20 has some revision or overhaul for CPU baserunning.

In the past yearly cycles, they've worked on (and continue to work on) hitting and defense. They've touched a tiny bit of baserunning where it relates to cheese, and of course, tags and tag animations.

But this YouTube video from the AMAZING Matt Antonelli really brings out some of the major issues with baserunning (CPU specifically).

Plug for Antonelli Baseball, if you haven't watched any of his RTTS videos, please do so. You'll enjoy them and he really has a great perspective about the mechanics of the game from the standpoint of a former professional player.

I'm hoping that in the future SDS can work with him in some degree to tighten up gameplay and mechanics.
I’m with you on this issue...I have been searching for answer with sliders ..player ratings but haven’t got results...
Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

Another item I wish they would fix is when using auto baserunning I want to be able to totally control when I tell the runner to steal second. Right now, when I am batting, a runner will sometimes just take off for second even though I have not called a steal. This is not manage only mode either. I am at bat and I see the runner go.

All they need to do is restrict human stealing unless the player calls for it by using L1 and arrow or L2.

C
Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Another item I wish they would fix is when using auto baserunning I want to be able to totally control when I tell the runner to steal second. Right now, when I am batting, a runner will sometimes just take off for second even though I have not called a steal. This is not manage only mode either. I am at bat and I see the runner go.

All they need to do is restrict human stealing unless the player calls for it by using L1 and arrow or L2.

C
Hmm not sure I follow.
hence the'Auto' part, aren't they making the decisions for you based on their interpretation of the situation?
Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86
Hmm not sure I follow.
hence the'Auto' part, aren't they making the decisions for you based on their interpretation of the situation?
Yes...when running after ball is hit. I never thought that that logic applied to stealing but I guess it does. It does serve to take me out of a few innings!

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbekoscke

Me too.

Me too.

Prime example of the above CPU baserunning (un)awareness from one of the World Series Moments that I was playing:

CPU baserunning (un)awareness
Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Another instance of poor runner awareness:

Batter getting thrown out at 1st base after a single hit to right field because the batter SLOWLY walks onto the 1st base bag. We've all seen this happen way to often. Another instance of runner AI needing some work or an overhaul.

out at 1st base after single to right field
Old 01-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I agree with most of the stuff about the lack of aggressive CPU baserunning (particularly about it being a boat anchor in front of the player in RTTS and Moments), but that last example bothers me because I don't actually see that all the time - in fact that's the first time I've ever seen a roundoff like that on a hard hit to RF. It's not a case of him slowing down that causes him to get thrown out - it's because he's rounding off first like it's a base hit to CF or LF when he should be running straight at the bag.

This is what happens for me on hits to RF (and this is hit much less sharply than yours and he STILL runs it in a straight line). This is on assisted baserunning btw, but I'm not pressing a thing after contact so it's the CPU AI's decision to run straight to 1st or round off. What I mean by that is, say it's a line drive into the LF/CF gap - if I don't press anything the runner will still make a roundoff instead of taking a straight line - he'll just stop at first once he gets there because I didn't tell him to go further.

So....what exactly happened in your clip? I can't tell if you're the user team hitting or not since it's a replay (pro tip - try to capture live gameplay for stuff like that, it's a lot more informative), but if you were and were holding the advance base button even a little in the beginning that might have caused him to start rounding - and then pull up as he reached first. I've seriously never seen the CPU do that on its own in that situation (to the point where it affected the outcome of a play), so I'm genuinely confused.

Last edited by bcruise; 01-12-2020 at 05:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »