Home

Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Pro

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Hitting is so mental.

I'm on directional hitting.

I notice if I just go up there with a plan and stick to the plan, I can relax and wait for the pitch I'm looking for, and it also helps me judge the pitches being in or out of the strike zone and I'm able to draw walks. If I relax and stick to my plan, I get good results.

If I am anxious and I really NEED a big hit and I don't have a plan, I swing at everything and I'm an easy out. It's so MENTAL, that I also notice that I hit better with lower rated players than I do with higher rated players because I work the count better with the lower rated players, because my expectations are lower.

Usually my #3 hitter with high ratings, I want so bad to mash the ball that I get terrible results. RELAX AND GO UP THERE WITH A PLAN.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Hitting is so mental.

I am also a Directional hitter, and I am slowly getting better (putting the emphasis on "slowly" more than "getting better") and yes I can echo what the OP has said about going up there with a plan versus just winging it. I try and sit on fastballs (at least for the early pitches in the count). But reading many of the off speed pitches while competing against the good MLB pitchers is still a challenge for me. I do have my difficulty settings turned up to the point where hitting is challenging, though I am not playing on the hardest "Legend" difficulty level since that is just too much for me. I am getting better recognizing curve balls in that I look for the upward movement and if I don't see much of an upward movement before the ball inevitably drops, I try and let it go. But I am still struggling with change ups since they look like fast balls as they leave the pitchers hand and then the pitch I seem to struggle with the most is the good slider that looks like it will be a strike before it breaks low and away. I am starting to draw more walks, but I still strike out more than I would like. I think I strike out 30% of the time versus the MLB average of something like 20%?

Disclaimer: I am a middle age fart, so my reaction times are not going to be as good as some of the young'uns here. But I am also a middle aged fart who refuses to grow up at least mentally.

Last edited by My993C2; 01-27-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Pro

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I am also a Directional hitter, and I am slowly getting better (putting the emphasis on "slowly" more than "getting better") and yes I can echo what the OP has said about going up there with a plan versus just winging it. I try and sit on fastballs (at least for the early pitches in the count). But reading many of the off speed pitches while competing against the good MLB pitchers is still a challenge for me. I do have my difficulty settings turned up to the point where hitting is challenging, though I am not playing on the hardest "Legend" difficulty level since that is just too much for me. I am getting better recognizing curve balls in that I look for the upward movement and if I don't see much of an upward movement before the ball inevitably drops, I try and let it go. But I am still struggling with change ups since they look like fast balls as they leave the pitchers hand and then the pitch I seem to struggle with the most is the good slider that looks like it will be a strike before it breaks low and away.
Yeah I get it. I don't even really sit on a type of pitch, I just more sit on an area, and wait for a good pitch in that zone.

And I have more success if I sit on something off-speed, and just react to the fast ball, rather than the other way around.

Also, I am pretty old myself. lol.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
GLORIA!!!!

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

It's very mental for me on Zone as well, on two different levels.

Since the PCI is small enough on Legend that it usually covers no more than a third of the strike zone, I have to think about where to place it pre-pitch so I don't have to react as much to the ball in-flight. I see moving the PCI around after the pitch has been thrown as sort of a two-strike approach - where you aren't as worried about making hard contact, you just don't want to strike out. And, usually, my averages when hitting like this are no better than most hitters' averages with two strikes in the count. My best success comes from guessing the right general location of the pitch, and then doing damage by swinging early on it. That's best accomplished early in count, or when the batter is ahead.

The other mental aspect of it is having the discipline to lay off of those pitches that will fall outside my PCI, unless I can't afford to take a strike. Usually unless I'm on two strikes I just simply don't swing at pitches that would force me to move the PCI, whether they are strikes or not. This lessens the chance of making a weak out in a hitter's count.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Pro

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It's very mental for me on Zone as well, on two different levels.

Since the PCI is small enough on Legend that it usually covers no more than a third of the strike zone, I have to think about where to place it pre-pitch so I don't have to react as much to the ball in-flight. I see moving the PCI around after the pitch has been thrown as sort of a two-strike approach - where you aren't as worried about making hard contact, you just don't want to strike out. And, usually, my averages when hitting like this are no better than most hitters' averages with two strikes in the count. My best success comes from guessing the right general location of the pitch, and then doing damage by swinging early on it. That's best accomplished early in count, or when the batter is ahead.

The other mental aspect of it is having the discipline to lay off of those pitches that will fall outside my PCI, unless I can't afford to take a strike. Usually unless I'm on two strikes I just simply don't swing at pitches that would force me to move the PCI, whether they are strikes or not. This lessens the chance of making a weak out in a hitter's count.
Discipline is the key. Even with 2 strikes if I look for an area, I can better judge the pitches that are in or out of the strike zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
All Star

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

there's a reason Yogi Berra said baseball is 90% mental. the man was a freakin' genius.

that said, there are times I'm not in the mood for patience. that's when the quick count goes ON. first pitch hack galore, the count has already been worked.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I struggle with hitting if i am not sitting in the exact right spot and looking at my tv at the correct angle. Every year i have to rearrange the living room furniture to get my chair to the correct spot. which changes from year to year it seems.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkprime 21
I struggle with hitting if i am not sitting in the exact right spot and looking at my tv at the correct angle. Every year i have to rearrange the living room furniture to get my chair to the correct spot. which changes from year to year it seems.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »