Home

Official MLB 19 the Show Trade Discussion

This is a discussion on Official MLB 19 the Show Trade Discussion within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7
Official MLB 19 the Show Trade Discussion

Hello, everyone! Bard back here and ready for another year of fun trade discussions! I have done this the last few years as I've attempted to take the reigns from AC and company!

We have a spreadsheet up with all trades from last season that have been approved by a few people within the thread to make it easier on us, and you to search for a player's value or a specific trade! However, we know some players got traded in real life and we always have room to discuss!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Player Calculation Example:

You're going to have to find the WAR for the player. We use Baseball Reference as they tend to have the most realistic WAR assessments. We will use Robinson Chirinos of the Texas Rangers for this example.

Link: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hiriro01.shtml

DISTINGUISHING AVERAGE WAR

For Position Players, we're going to scroll down to Player Value Batting. You can see that below but keep reading. We need to identify the player's WAR for the past three years. We use a 6 x 3 x 1 method of determining a fair value for the player. Thus we're going to take the 2017 WAR and multiply it by 6. Then we will find the 2016 WAR and multiply it by 3. The 2015 WAR is simply the remaining 10% so there is no need to multiply it. See below.

Okay now we have our WARS. We're going to discern our average WAR for Chirinos now.

2017 WAR: 2.7 x 6 = 16.2
2016 WAR: 0.9 x 3 = 2.7
2015 WAR: 1.8 x 1 = 1.8

Add: 16.2+2.7+1.8= 20.7
Now keep in mind, we were using percentages of each season to create our basis so now we need to divide by 10 (6+3+1). That brings Chirinos to a 2.1 WAR (rounding up from 2.07).

PINPOINTING TOTAL VALUE

Now we're going to create our total value from that WAR number. We've decided among ourselves, using Professional opinions, that the average worth for 1 WAR is 9 Million. So we're going to multiply Chirinos' WAR by 9 and then by the amount of years remaining on his contract. To do that, we're going to scroll down near the bottom where it says Salaries. See below.

Okay, now we know how many years Chirinos has remaining in his contract and how much he will be paid for those years. Lets do our math.

2.1(Player WAR) x 9 (WAR Worth) x 2 (Contracted Years Remaining) = 37.8M Total Value

There we see that Chirinos is worth a total value of 37.8M. But now we have to identify what his surplus value is.

FINALIZING SURPLUS VALUE

Surplus is identified using this method:

Total Value - Remaining Salary = Surplus Value

Using the image above, we can see that Chirinos has approximately $4.63M owed to him in his current contract. We can do our final piece of math now.

37.8 (Total Value) - 4.63 (Remaining Salary) = 33.17M Surplus

We will go ahead and round that fourth digit up or down. As it is a 7, we'll round up to a final 33.2M Surplus.

Finding prospect value:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...dated-edition/
--------------------------------------------------

New Year, new thread!

Do you need help figuring out what to do with your team? Whether it be rebuilding or contending and want to know the values on certain players please come on in here and ask!

If you have a rough draft deal made out and want suggestions to make it realistic or fair we will gladly help with that as well!

Literally all trading needs of any kind are gladly discussed in here, and feedback is always given.

I will do my best to answer as many questions I can this year as this is one of my favorite threads.

Now. Let the trading season of MLB 19 The Show commence!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Official MLB 19 the Show Trade Discussion

I created a Trade Value Calculator that took into account Contract Years, Team Control Years, Age, and level of player. I can't seem to get it into a google spreadsheet right now but will. Here is a list of some players values i've calculated. Some players like Cervelli have a dumbed down value cause of his age. I also updated some of the prospects FV:

Position Players
Prospect Rating FV
70 $125
65 $85
60 $70
55 $50
50 $40
45 $20
40 $5

Pitchers
Prospect Rating FV
70 $100
65 $85
60 $70
55 $50
50 $40
45 $20
40 $4

I also figured that since the show will now include real contracts it would be easier. I also added a couple of "rules to follow"

Side note:
-If Player has under 2 years of service and a WAR under 2
and wasn't a top 10 prospect their team the value will be inflated so cut the years before FA in half
-If the Player is a reliever value the years left despite prospect status
-Quality over quantity in trades to make value even out.
-If an aging player has an enormous value use the last 5-6 years (ex. Longoria, Kinsler)
-If trading to team with a bad record their prospects will be more valuable. Must top 2 prospects and 4 of top 10
-To make it fair pay attention to the teams needs and their records
-If they are Star pitchers add $15-20 to their listed value.
-I will make a roster edit to FM rosters. 55-70FV "A" potential. 50FV "B" Potential 45FV "C" Potential. It will be under gamertag Sportfan22

another side note: the guys in yellow are pirates cause they're my team. so ignore that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 11.37.16 AM.png (674.0 KB, 1022 views)

Last edited by Buccosback; 03-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1

Good stuff, guys! Look forward to checking back in once I get the game and start a franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

@Buccosback excited to collaborate with you this year! Interesting to see how our values with how we do things match up!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Rookie

@Bard i'm not on the forums a whole lot even though i try to be! you can shoot me a follow on twitter if you want @ihatetherefs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Rookie

dking30's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccosback
I created a Trade Value Calculator that took into account Contract Years, Team Control Years, Age, and level of player. I can't seem to get it into a google spreadsheet right now but will. Here is a list of some players values i've calculated. Some players like Cervelli have a dumbed down value cause of his age. I also updated some of the prospects FV:

Position Players
Prospect Rating FV
70 $125
65 $85
60 $70
55 $50
50 $40
45 $20
40 $5

Pitchers
Prospect Rating FV
70 $100
65 $85
60 $70
55 $50
50 $40
45 $20
40 $4

I also figured that since the show will now include real contracts it would be easier. I also added a couple of "rules to follow"

Side note:
-If Player has under 2 years of service and a WAR under 2
and wasn't a top 10 prospect their team the value will be inflated so cut the years before FA in half
-If the Player is a reliever value the years left despite prospect status
-Quality over quantity in trades to make value even out.
-If an aging player has an enormous value use the last 5-6 years (ex. Longoria, Kinsler)
-If trading to team with a bad record their prospects will be more valuable. Must top 2 prospects and 4 of top 10
-To make it fair pay attention to the teams needs and their records
-If they are Star pitchers add $15-20 to their listed value.
-I will make a roster edit to FM rosters. 55-70FV "A" potential. 50FV "B" Potential 45FV "C" Potential. It will be under gamertag Sportfan22

another side note: the guys in yellow are pirates cause they're my team. so ignore that.
Why does a "70" position prospect have more value than a "70" pitching prospect?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking30
Why does a "70" position prospect have more value than a "70" pitching prospect?
I'm pretty sure it's because elite hitting prospects have a much better track record of sustained success than elite pitching prospects
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Rookie

yes it is because hitting prospects have a better track record. I tried to simulate real trades that happened and what i found is that there was usually more value on the prospect side of the trade. although i didn't test it i will say the most lopsided trade i can think of recently was when the pirates traded Daniel Hudson for Corey Dickerson.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »