Home

Some Franchise Gameplay Questions

This is a discussion on Some Franchise Gameplay Questions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Some Franchise Gameplay Questions

I find that players progress slowly -- top prospects will never become high 80/low 90 players. Is there a method to get better progression? Do you only promote guys who are on hot streaks? Do you move guys down a lot who underperform? Can you gain points in spring training?

Any tips on situational hitting? Ground ball to right side with man on 2nd and no out?

Do quirks really matter -- like if I have a reliever who is better when behind, should I move him to that role even if he is my 2nd best RP? If a guy excels at first pitch swinging do you tend to do that even if its not a perfect pitch? Wondering how much it affects tendencies and if I should go out of my way to try to fulfil their quirks.

Seems like bloopers in the gap or down the line rarely become doubles, even for speedy players. I was thinking of jacking up runner speed or slowing the OF throw speed, but that will affect sac flies. Any slider recommendation?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Some Franchise Gameplay Questions

Unless training works this year (as it hasn't in the decade plus it's been in the game) there is nothing you can do to make players better outside of playing with them and even then it makes no sense.

And check the sliders section of this forum though it tends to lean towards direction hitting and classic or meter pitching neither of which I play with.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
MVP

I argued unsuccessfully against performance based progression because the game engine and sim engine are not the same. The 29 other teams progress at a different rate.

I tend to leave my top prospects in the minors until they are ready to play. Expecting them to develop at the MLB level seems less reliable but I can't honestly say how it all works. One thing I'm sure of is pitcher stamina always declines and therefore if you intend to carry over your franchise you need starting pitcher prospects with a minimum of 85 stamina. Speed also always declines.

Last edited by tessl; 02-20-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I argued unsuccessfully against performance based progression because the game engine and sim engine are not the same. The 29 other teams progress at a different rate.

I tend to leave my top prospects in the minors until they are ready to play. Expecting them to develop at the MLB level seems less reliable but I can't honestly say how it all works. One thing I'm sure of is pitcher stamina always declines and therefore if you intend to carry over your franchise you need starting pitcher prospects with a minimum of 85 stamina. Speed also always declines.
Speed and stamina should decline, but only once the players get into their 30s. If you are seeing new'ish players still in their 20s declining, then that is concerning. I never see this, but that is because I have always been just a "One Season at a time" sort of gamer. In regards to the game engine versus the sim engine, it's always been an apples to oranges sort of thing. I have always felt that the only way to have a apples to apples comparison was to play all 2430 games in a given season played as CPU vs CPU games with Quick Counts disabled, but who has time for that.

PS: I am going to keep my various RTTS characters around, but they will be used more for batting practice than anything else. I have decided that when it comes to franchise game play, I am coming back to the world MoM game play after a 2 year break. Contrary to what some folks may think, we actually have a lot of influence playing our MoM games without introducing our joy stick abilities (or lack of abilities) into the game results.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl

Agreed. But sometimes the performance based progression works properly in the sim engine. I remember one year I did a test franchise with the padres. Simmed the whole season and Hunter renfro finished with something like a .330 average and 18 homers against lefties (didn’t do as well against righties). His left handed contact and power both shot up by like +10. So it’s beautiful when it works. It really gives those players the ability to jump a level if they perform.

But you are right. The problem is it doesn’t work consistently and when it doesn’t it’s an ugly situation.

I think the biggest issue is the training. It flat out doesn’t work. I tested over 200 franchise seasons last year and training seems to have little to no effect on progression. I can say with 100% certainty you can train stamina and speed until your blue in the face and will never improve and most of the time still regress. Training is essentially a “broken” feature the last couple of years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

There definitely is performance based progression. Players can move substantially up or down in attributes based on the season stats.

I do not think prospects progress fast enough. You will hardly ever see drafted generates players 20-23 make an MLB team. They just are not a high enough overall.

I'll usually go to the top 100 list every season and tinker with the prospects to get them more MLB ready.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Rookie

So is the issue that simmed games don't accrue point bonuses as fast? If I play through spring, will I see progression in players? I think that would essentially fix things if players could gain a couple points with a good spring. Over the course of 3 years, a prospect could add a 4 or 5 base point improvement to their regular progression.

I noticed if you edit a player mid season, they don't seem to progress, at least not for a while. Is there a way to boost a players stats without forcing manual changes after that -- for example, is it best to do prior to spring training vs mid season?

I know franchise has been neglected for years. any chance they make tweaks to progression, or is it historically not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
There definitely is performance based progression. Players can move substantially up or down in attributes based on the season stats.

I do not think prospects progress fast enough. You will hardly ever see drafted generates players 20-23 make an MLB team. They just are not a high enough overall.

I'll usually go to the top 100 list every season and tinker with the prospects to get them more MLB ready.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I've seen A prospects bust and I've seen C prospects become all stars. I've seen a prospect start at 37 and make it all the way to 99. That is increadibly rare though.

I will say one thing. Too often you see A prospects not be ready until they are 26-27. I've never seen a generated prospect be ready at 19. Not once.

I do get guys ready in the 21-23 range, but it's usually prospects who were drafted at a near MLB ready rating already.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »