Home

Manage mode players

This is a discussion on Manage mode players within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Manage mode players

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
I hate to be that guy but what does MoM mean?

Took me ages too before I realised it’s Manage-only Mode.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 02-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
BTW is sacrifice bunting borked in MoM game play?

I was playing a Spring Training game last night in MLBTS19 (Nationals vs Astros) and the game went deep into 16 extra innings. So I was presented with numerous sacrifice bunting opportunities when the lead off hitter made it to first base. Four times throughout the game I tried to lay down a sacrifice bunt with a position player (who did not have a high bunting rating) and all four times the player's bunting attempts were popped up and easily caught by the first base man or catcher for the out. I can see perhaps one out of four attempts resulting in a pop up, but not all four should fail. I hope I am wrong here, but it appears that SDS has purposely took bunting out of offline game play all because online DD players might have been exploiting the system. Sad especially since sacrifice bunting worked fine in older versions of the game.

This sums up perfectly 19’s bunting. Franchise and MTO. It has been either destroyed or made totally random with odds stacked against, unless a very specific set of criteria is met: Pitcher at bat. That’s the only time sac bunt works consistently. Any other sac bunt situation I would say less than 20% success rate so I don’t even bother anymore. Drag bunting no better so I never attempt that.

In the 19 pre-release streams, it was said that sac bunting was unlikely to work online unless it was a sac play, or player had a high bunt rating, to eliminate bunt cheese. Looks like not only was it done for offline as well, it wasn’t done properly and surprisingly never fixed throughout the year.

Hopefully fixed in 20, but not holding breath.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ted_is_back
This sums up perfectly 19’s bunting. Franchise and MTO. It has been either destroyed or made totally random with odds stacked against, unless a very specific set of criteria is met: Pitcher at bat. That’s the only time sac bunt works consistently. Any other sac bunt situation I would say less than 20% success rate so I don’t even bother anymore. Drag bunting no better so I never attempt that.

In the 19 pre-release streams, it was said that sac bunting was unlikely to work online unless it was a sac play, or player had a high bunt rating, to eliminate bunt cheese. Looks like not only was it done for offline as well, it wasn’t done properly and surprisingly never fixed throughout the year.

Hopefully fixed in 20, but not holding breath.

I can't say with 100% certainty but my experience is high bunt rated players can still bunt. I suspect as with some other problems that have been introduced into the game over the years a vocal minority complained loudly and got it changed - for the worst.

Another problem in manage mode is if the CPU brings the third baseman looking for a bunt the user controlled batter won't swing away until sometimes after two strikes. Frequently he never swings at all. The choice is bunt into a force play or double play or have the batter stand there and take pitches.

It needs to be fixed but I haven't filed a bug report because I've seen them "fix" one thing only to cause other problems.

A few years ago somebody griped about not enough chased pitches. They introduced more pitches in the dirt - which resulted in a lot of wild pitches. Fixed chased pitches - broke wild pitches.

Somebody complained balls didn't curve foul often enough. Balls which used to land fair down the line started curving foul which resulted in fewer hits down the line which resulted in lower scores. Fixed balls curving foul - broke accurate runs scored.

Somebody complained about "cheese bunts". Fixed cheese bunts. Broke sacrifice bunts.

How injuries got broken I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a complaint about too many injuries.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
Rookie

Ranger Fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I can't say with 100% certainty but my experience is high bunt rated players can still bunt. I suspect as with some other problems that have been introduced into the game over the years a vocal minority complained loudly and got it changed - for the worst.

Another problem in manage mode is if the CPU brings the third baseman looking for a bunt the user controlled batter won't swing away until sometimes after two strikes. Frequently he never swings at all. The choice is bunt into a force play or double play or have the batter stand there and take pitches.

It needs to be fixed but I haven't filed a bug report because I've seen them "fix" one thing only to cause other problems.

A few years ago somebody griped about not enough chased pitches. They introduced more pitches in the dirt - which resulted in a lot of wild pitches. Fixed chased pitches - broke wild pitches.

Somebody complained balls didn't curve foul often enough. Balls which used to land fair down the line started curving foul which resulted in fewer hits down the line which resulted in lower scores. Fixed balls curving foul - broke accurate runs scored.

Somebody complained about "cheese bunts". Fixed cheese bunts. Broke sacrifice bunts.

How injuries got broken I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a complaint about too many injuries.
Your 100 percent right. To many people whining about dumb crap on forums. It takes away from them actually fixing whats wrong. 10 plus years of a game and somehow the DEV team cannot figure out how to rotate inerleague schedules. They can however get the right color on our 5th uniform option. Injury bug is ridiculous. It was identified in May of last year and yet after 10 or so patches nothing was done about it. Game is designed for online play. When the issue was finally answered by a DEV he said oh really had no idea. We might patch it. No reason ever given why the brain trust can't figure out a way to rotate innerleage scheduling
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
MVP

One thing for all franchise users which includes manage mode is the upcoming March 4 developer stream which is scheduled to discuss the "new trade hub".

It will be interesting to see what they have done. I've always imposed my own restrictions on trades to prevent robbing the CPU.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 2

Ignoring a new bug where the "Dugout" view in MoM games is broken (I have been using the "Backstop" view as a replacement for now), I am liking that I am seeing a decent but not too crazy amount of offense in MLBTS20 Manage franchise games and all my CPU batting and pitching related slider settings are set to the default value of 5. Of course I am only working on a small sample of games. But so far so good.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
Ignoring a new bug where the "Dugout" view in MoM games is broken (I have been using the "Backstop" view as a replacement for now), I am liking that I am seeing a decent but not too crazy amount of offense in MLBTS20 Manage franchise games and all my CPU batting and pitching related slider settings are set to the default value of 5. Of course I am only working on a small sample of games. But so far so good.
Would love to hear if injuries have been added back in. To me, that was the only thing that killed MoM for me last year.

You want arcade, play Madden. Want sim game, play MLBTS

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Would love to hear if injuries have been added back in. To me, that was the only thing that killed MoM for me last year.

You want arcade, play Madden. Want sim game, play MLBTS
The issue was that injuries did not occur in any CPU vs CPU situation. That should have been resolved.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »