Home

MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB The Show 20 Review: A Worthy Sendoff For This Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar81
Opening videos are a lost art.
The opener for The Show 16 just about singlehandedly made me a fan of The Struts.* Rock's not dead, it turns out, and those guys are GOOD.* Even their covers are no slouch (Dancing In the Street and Ballroom Blitz are impressive), and I dare you to listen all the way through "Tattler Magazine" without smiling at least once.
The chalk art opener for 17 needs no further praise.* It gets me every.* Single.* Time.* It might just be the single best introduction to the sport in under 3 minutes.* I mean, come on:* going from Cal Ripken, straight into Gehrig's farewell address, that is* just *sniff* positively unfair, man... *sniff sniff*
I'm not crying.* You're crying.
The way the kids and the pros were intercut in the opener for 18 was nicely done, and if you wondered what they'd do to top it, well, they had four different videos in 19.* FOUR.
So, yeah, this opening cinematic was a bit of a letdown, but the rest of the package is fine by me.

Yeah, was just coming here to say the same thing. The intro sucks. I mean it might be cool if you're a Cubs fan or a Javier Baez fan but even then I'm sure that would get old quick for folks like me that hate the Cubs. I mean Jeez!! And I never thought they'd make a worse one than the Yasiel Puig one but this one here trumps it, especially after the last several years really tugged at the heart strings of what makes baseball great and why I love this sport!
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 03-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

The chalk outline was the best on the PS4 by a mile. But my all time fav was The Show 12 on PS3, which was a supercut of the last night of the regular season. AKA the most exciting finish to a regular season ever - the Red Sox collapse, the Rays piling on the Yankees late for the win with Longoria hitting a HR into the small gap just inside the LF foul pole - Crawford’s cutout - created when Carl Crawford was a Ray, yet he was was a thousand miles away in Baltimore with the Red Sox. And the Phillies won in extra innings in Atlanta to eliminate the Braves and sent the Cards straight into the playoffs without having to play a tiebreaker. Watched all of it live that night and it seemed like it all happened within 30 minutes of each other. I cant tell you how many times i watched that intro - all time favorite Intro of any sports game!
Old 03-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #11
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Yeah that intro for '17 is the greatest video game intro I've ever seen. Just beautiful

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2020, 02:40 AM   #12
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Yeah, was just coming here to say the same thing. The intro sucks. I mean it might be cool if you're a Cubs fan or a Javier Baez fan but even then I'm sure that would get old quick for folks like me that hate the Cubs. I mean Jeez!! And I never thought they'd make a worse one than the Yasiel Puig one but this one here trumps it, especially after the last several years really tugged at the heart strings of what makes baseball great and why I love this sport!
Speaking as one - nope, it's not.

Not sure who thought slow-motion jumping of any player would be good for an intro. It stands out as especially weak compared to the A+ effort put in over the last few years too.

Last edited by SmashMan; 03-20-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Love the game this year, but with regards to the commentary, enough is enough. It's time for a new commentary team once and for all. I, and many others, can call out most of the commentary lines as they've been pretty much the same for many years.

If the NHL team, Madden team, etc can do it, MLB can as well. I know there's a relationship with Matt, but the commentary is so incredibly dated.

Need a guy with more emotion(Been saying this year after year). Nothing worse than coming up in a big spot and then hearing Matt just lazily read his line with zero emotion behind it. Completely ruins immersion.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Yeah that intro for '17 is the greatest video game intro I've ever seen. Just beautiful
I quite literally get goose-bumps just THINKING about that intro. The music was beautiful and the moments that they captured were just brilliant.

This year's was...very bleh....the one upside, it was short.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
@csamuelsvt You lost me at "NHL."

EA Vancouver hung on to Gary Thorne and Bill Clement until they had pretty much no choice but to switch crews on the NBC rebrand. Thorne and Clement didn't sound bad per se, the community just wanted different voices. The result? Way too much Doc Emmerick, who is an acquired taste even when he's calling a LIVE game. And video game commentary? *facepalm*

So this year, with the NBC agreement having run its course, they decided to go with a different crew, and even invited guest commentary from such noted hockey experts as Snoop Dog, Will Ferrell, and Drake...? Wait, what?

Be careful what you wish for, and don't be so quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

With an established cast, you can add new lines to the database without having to rebuild all the commentary from scratch. Bring in a new cast, and you have to start all over from nothing. Pick the wrong cast, and you could spend YEARS trying to get the commentary back to what it was.

Love him or hate him, Matty V is the straw that stirs the drink right now. And starting over with a brand new voice cast is a gamble. With the series shifting to a new hardware generation, I'd expect he stays put for now, until the franchise is established next gen.

Last edited by LoadStar81; 03-20-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Code cleanup, followed by asterisk cleanup
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, it's not the people that commentate that are the problem, it's that historically video game commentary is extremely limited and the end result is that it becomes very repetitive. Whoever ends up being the commentary team next year, they need to record 10 times the amount of audio.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »