Home

Bunting, what are your solution(s)/fixed?

This is a discussion on Bunting, what are your solution(s)/fixed? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Bunting, what are your solution(s)/fixed?

I know this has been discussed before but bunting really needs to be addressed. The rocket bunts have always been an issue in The Show but this year seems especially bad to me. Last night I had first and second with Hendricks up, I hunted and sure enough it was a rocket to third for an easy 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

I use directional hitting and aim my analog stick down and away (toward the base I want to hunt to). I try to, “influence,” the ball prior to pitch with the right analog. I’ve tried (as some have suggested) to let up on triangle right as the ball is hitting the bat. But to no avail.

The problem, in my opinion is two fold. First, the bunts are just too hard off the bat, too often, period. Secondly, it’s probably a coding issue that makes fielders go for the out at second at an unrealistic rate. They almost always throw to second, even in situations where they most likely would not in real life. A third baseman charging super hard in to barehand a ball is not very likely to wheel and throw to second with a 180 spin.

I’m to the point where I’m just going to either stop bunting, or let the computer do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Bunting, what are your solution(s)/fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I know this has been discussed before but bunting really needs to be addressed. The rocket bunts have always been an issue in The Show but this year seems especially bad to me. Last night I had first and second with Hendricks up, I hunted and sure enough it was a rocket to third for an easy 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

I use directional hitting and aim my analog stick down and away (toward the base I want to hunt to). I try to, “influence,” the ball prior to pitch with the right analog. I’ve tried (as some have suggested) to let up on triangle right as the ball is hitting the bat. But to no avail.

The problem, in my opinion is two fold. First, the bunts are just too hard off the bat, too often, period. Secondly, it’s probably a coding issue that makes fielders go for the out at second at an unrealistic rate. They almost always throw to second, even in situations where they most likely would not in real life. A third baseman charging super hard in to barehand a ball is not very likely to wheel and throw to second with a 180 spin.

I’m to the point where I’m just going to either stop bunting, or let the computer do it for me.

I believe I posted a thread asking a similar question and a few people responded that you needed to let off of triangle right before contact. I tried this and the success rate is the same. I have Foltynewicz who has 99 bunting and I’m pretty sure he hasn’t got one down successfully yet. The exit velo on bunts is like 45 MPH which is incredibly too high.

I’m assuming they did this to tune the game for DD to keep players from cheesing. SDS needs to either dull down the exit velo, or recode the fielding logic.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

For me bunting was noticably improved in 2019 and remains so in 2020. Perhaps it's because I play on veteran level (I'm old).

Other than that I always pre-load direction with the left stick and then let it go, and try and 'soften' the blow by letting go of the triangle button as the ball is making contact with the bat.

TBH I don't bunt that often even when playing an NL franchise. I feel like I can hit better in the game than picthers can IRL. (veteran :-) ).
Old 04-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
MVP

GR5Noles's Arena

OVR: 2

it's pretty bad this year. Last year I didn't have a problem with bunting because the fielder almost never went to second. Now, like you said, they almost always go after the lead runner and it turns into a double play
Old 04-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Bunt it towards the second baseman. The CPU does this to me almost everytime and it's a hit about 75% of the time.

I only drag bunt myself and have had the same issues, it's basically a groundball to the third baseman for a relatively easy out

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120

I’m assuming they did this to tune the game for DD to keep players from cheesing. SDS needs to either dull down the exit velo, or recode the fielding logic.

Preferably both.

The CPU fielding logic has been an area I’ve discussed many times. Fielders try to get the lead out and a very unrealistically high percentage of the time. This is one of the reasons that used teams almost always lead the league in GIDP.

When a ball is hit to the second baseman’s left, and he goes DEEP in the hole with a runner on first, 9/10 the fielder is throwing to first base. Not in The Show. He’s gonna wheel off his back foot and throw a perfect strike to short to start the double play. The 180, wheel throws of the back foot should be air mailed 75% of the time. It should be an insanely high risk/reward.

Furthermore, I’d love to see more differentiation between good and bad fielders. It’s better this year but still not noticeable enough. I wish animations were only unlocked for certain fielders with high enough ratings. The balls hit to third base that take the fielder into foul territory, who then jump throws (Jeter style) for a perfect strike to first for the out needs to go. At least most of the time. For a below average fielder, that throw should be off the mark 9/10.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

Yeah, they go for the runner at second almost all the time. Then they are called out when they are obviously safe. Lastly, I've seen 2B range far to his left in the hole between 1B and 2B, spin and make a rocket accurate throw to second to get the runner. Would rarely if ever happen IRL...

C
Old 04-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

Letting the computer bunt for you unfortunately won't help the situation either. I play MOM and cannot put down a successful bunt to save my life. Everytime its bunted too hard to 3B and they do the charge and miraculous throw all the way backwards to 2B to get the lead out. Very annoying and definitely effects game play as I like the small ball approach at times especially with the bottom of the order. Hopefully they address it

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »