Home

Position Changes

This is a discussion on Position Changes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Position Changes

When going about position changes what do you guys look for when moving a prospect from the outfield to the infield, or the rotation to the pen and vise versa, and what ratings edits do you make if any to accommodate the switch? I find in my Mariners franchise I have a sudden influx of too many OF prospects combined with already established big leaguers and I don't want to have a situation where they're blocked. My big league OF consists of Kyle Lewis, Greg Jones (traded for from TB, converted to CF), and Christian Pache (got in a deal that sent Haniger to ATL), with Julio Rodriguez, and Jarred Kelenic waiting in the wings.

I'm especially curious about the rotation to the pen and vise versa. Because I have starters that aren't cutting it, but have live arms, and BP arms that have a good 3-4 pitch mix and good command. What ratings changes if any should I make when I move a player, and what are your shared experiences doing this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Rookie

MightyMaxxx13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Position Changes

I have rules for position changes in my franchise.

For position players: I can only move them to one of their secondary positions (IE I’m not turning shortstops into catchers). And ONLY right before or right after spring training (so as not to interfere with any mid-season progression). No edits to players mid-season.

I can convert starters to relievers. When I do, I have to adjust their stamina down and their /9 attributes up (in proportion) until they get back to the same overall rating they were at as a starter.

I can convert relievers to starters but I can’t adjust their stamina up. (So basically I’m only doing this for guys with 60+ stamina).

I try to only make these edits if I feel it is a long term change. I try to never mess with actual attribute ratings.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I make position edits all the time based on needs or the players profile ie if their attributes seem more suited to a different position. I never edit attributes, except when it comes to pitchers, where I'm allowed to trade 1 for 1 between stamina and durability (though this trade is only available during the off season).

The idea is that if a pitcher is trying to stretch out their innings, it'll adversely effect their durability. Likewise a move to the pen and less concern about stamina will raise durability. This also allows for the natural development of stamina at your discretion while imposing natural limits.

I find that position edits with no consequences work out fine because it doesn't always take. I have a center fielder who I twice tried to convert to a third baseman, and despite being an above average fielder in the outfield he was a disaster at 3rd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Rookie

TonyMoraco15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMaxxx13
I have rules for position changes in my franchise.

For position players: I can only move them to one of their secondary positions (IE I’m not turning shortstops into catchers). And ONLY right before or right after spring training (so as not to interfere with any mid-season progression). No edits to players mid-season.

I can convert starters to relievers. When I do, I have to adjust their stamina down and their /9 attributes up (in proportion) until they get back to the same overall rating they were at as a starter.

I can convert relievers to starters but I can’t adjust their stamina up. (So basically I’m only doing this for guys with 60+ stamina).

I try to only make these edits if I feel it is a long term change. I try to never mess with actual attribute ratings.

I go by this same principle, only thing tho for me, I only touch stamina ratings on pitchers and nothing else never.

Kudos brother.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

If I change a position players primary spot, then I try to be realistic about it. A big, slow powerful guy might move from 1B to LF, and a small, fast guy from 2B to CF.

I don't generally adjust pitchers, because it just doesn't feel realistic. If I have a lights out closer with extremely high ratings but bad stamina, how do I move up the stamina enough to make him viable as a starter without instantly making him a HOFer?

At the major league level, I put starters in the pen all the time as long relievers, but leave their position alone. If he then improves enough to later be in the rotation, great! That's like in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
MVP

^i never move RPs to starters but I move starters to the pen all the time (but if I do it’s permanent). For rating I knock their stam down somewhere into the 25-35 range then give +2 to velocity and +2 to H/9 and K/9, leaving the rest the same.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Pro

Coachwf's Arena

OVR: 8

Do players ever automatically add a 2nd position if you play them at that position or do always have to edit them?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachwf
Do players ever automatically add a 2nd position if you play them at that position or do always have to edit them?
Sadly, they do not. That's something that we've been asking for for years now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »