Home

best way to negotiate contracts in franchise?

This is a discussion on best way to negotiate contracts in franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

OVR: 0
best way to negotiate contracts in franchise?

For example, I have Corey Kluber up for FA after the year.

If I pay him less but make him an "ace" he is more likely to sign the contract

But if I pay him more but make him "starter" it's the same thing but more expensive.

I do not intend to make Kluber an ace on my team, but I would think it would be cheaper PLUS with morale bonus's (team performance, his production, etc) it would balance out. Currently he expects to be an Ace on the team and have a higher salary but only loses 2 morale points.

How do you deal with players when "role" is a factor long term?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2020, 03:25 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: best way to negotiate contracts in franchise?

How old is he and how has he been playing? If he plays like an ace pay him less (usually less years is better on your end) with the ACE role
Old 05-17-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
How old is he and how has he been playing? If he plays like an ace pay him less (usually less years is better on your end) with the ACE role
Corey Kluber is 34 and is playing above average but not great or outstanding. He's also on the Mets and I have already an ace in Jacob deGrom and to an extent Noah Syndergaard
Old 05-17-2020, 04:28 AM   #4
Rookie

Cold Snap's Arena

Let him walk.

MLB The Show has a strangely sharp dropoff for players around this age. His attributes will rapidly atrophy, if not this season then the one after, and before long he'll be contributing about as much as a minimum-salary player, but you're paying him tens of millions.

Let him walk.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Snap
Let him walk.

MLB The Show has a strangely sharp dropoff for players around this age. His attributes will rapidly atrophy, if not this season then the one after, and before long he'll be contributing about as much as a minimum-salary player, but you're paying him tens of millions.

Let him walk.
Interesting. I'll try to sign him to a 1 year deal but I think he was only negotiating on 2 year deals or more.

If he starts to fall dramatically I can trade him and have a great prospect in the wings.

Don't really have other options as I don't know the FA field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2020, 04:45 AM   #6
Rookie

Yep let him walk, I have Kershaw at age 37 regressing to a now 90 and I am planning on trading him before the deadline he's only making $11M but he's just not worth the shelacking he has taken over the past 2 months (I'm in June 2024)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:21 AM   #7
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
Yep let him walk, I have Kershaw at age 37 regressing to a now 90 and I am planning on trading him before the deadline he's only making $11M but he's just not worth the shelacking he has taken over the past 2 months (I'm in June 2024)

Hmm.. but isn’t a 90 still really good? Maybe if you can get a younger starter in 87-88 range but he still seems to be highly skilled
Old 05-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
Hmm.. but isn’t a 90 still really good? Maybe if you can get a younger starter in 87-88 range but he still seems to be highly skilled
I pretty much agree, but one to remember is that the star players in The Show are exceptionally greedy. Even at 37 years old, Kershaw is going to demand a ridiculous contract. Best to trade him and let him become someone else's problem, particularly if your team is rebuilding. Seriously, some of these boneheaded players would rather languish on the FA list for a couple of years and then retire than take an appropriate contract and play. That's something I've never really heard addressed here before.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »