Home

Tips for playoffs in franchise mode?

This is a discussion on Tips for playoffs in franchise mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

OVR: 0
Tips for playoffs in franchise mode?

About to start the playoffs and was wondering if people have tips to win the World Series? My first time playing MLB show in like 2 yrs and haven't gone this deep into a season in a very long time if not forever.

Do players get as tired during the playoffs like the regular season? What about relief pitchers?

In NBA 2K the playoffs ramps up the difficulty a LOT. Is this the same in MLB the Show? Does home crowd play a factor?

General tips? Thanks.

It's scary AF to have played hundreds of hours on this game all to possibly lose in a 5 game series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Re: Tips for playoffs in franchise mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior
About to start the playoffs and was wondering if people have tips to win the World Series? My first time playing MLB show in like 2 yrs and haven't gone this deep into a season in a very long time if not forever.

Do players get as tired during the playoffs like the regular season? What about relief pitchers?

In NBA 2K the playoffs ramps up the difficulty a LOT. Is this the same in MLB the Show? Does home crowd play a factor?

General tips? Thanks.

It's scary AF to have played hundreds of hours on this game all to possibly lose in a 5 game series.
-Players won't get as tired because you essentially play 2 and have an off day when the series shifts to the opposing ballpark.
-Difficulty will ramp up because you're going to play against the best teams in the league, and will most likely face their best pitchers.
-Just be patient, but don't let up. The best way to get through it is to sit back and wait for you pitch when you're batting. Try to take the starter deep into counts. Your offense might start a bit slower by not being as aggressive, but you'll be able to get through the Max Scherzer's, Kershaw's, and DeGrom's earlier in the game.
-Crowds don't really factor in.
-Shorten your rotation. With the extra off-days, it's possible to run a 4 man, or even 3 man (your starter won't be fully recovered, but can still put up some important innings).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

The other responder had some good tips.

The most important tip I have...play your game.

You got there by doing something right...stick with what got you there. If you got there with little ball, don't suddenly start trying to bash HRs every AB. It's SO EASY to fall into this trap.

Other tips:

1. Playoffs are exciting. But stick with your normal game playing routine. If you normally play one game a night (for example), don't play 2 or 3 because it's the playoffs. Fatigue for the user has a great impact as well.
2. Remember that making it to the playoffs and losing sets you up for a fantastic storyline/backstory for the next season. Don't put undue pressure on yourself to win, from a story-telling perspective, you win either way. Just roll with it and ENJOY IT!
3. Don't skip cut scenes. The glorious thing about the playoffs is that build-up to a crescendo. If you don't already, this is the one time where you let the game "breathe" and take it all in. Go full broadcast and take on that more deliberate pace. This will also slow you down and keep you on an even keel.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
Banned

SouthernWarrior's Arena

Great tips! thank you both!!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
MVP

forme95's Arena

To add to what JoshC posted. The CPU pit her always has the pitcher pitching from the Ace (#1) spot. It will boost it's performance. Not to say you won't be able to rock them, but they will be more pin point, so sit on "your" pitch and make them pAy when they make a mistake. Work counts deep and get the starter out.

Most importantly. Just have fun and enjoy the moment. You made the post season. That's reward all in its own.

I've been playing for 5+ years and haven't won a WS yet. Now, it doesn't bother me, nor does it make me want to manipulate the game so I can. It will make when I do win one that much more sweeter. So if you don't make it all the way, just enjoy how far you got and build off it in the next season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWarrior

...General tips? Thanks.

file this under general tips: outscore the opponent. it's the surest way to victory

but seriously, even when I have lost in the LDS or LCS, I never regretted an inning of the countless hours completing a 162 game grind. from my perspective it was always about the journey and not the destination. dont get me wrong a World Championship is nice but when I'm done with one season, win or lose, I'm always itching to start another with another team and dive right back in. good luck and happy baseball!

A Work in Progress
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

If this is a playoff against the cpu say 30 team control, you might want to put the manager hook at 9 or 10 in your sliders and before each series set up the cpu pitching staff for a
3-man rotation for the 5 game series and 4 man for a 7 game series.

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"
Old 06-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3
Arrow Re: Tips for playoffs in franchise mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfan2
If this is a playoff against the cpu say 30 team control, you might want to put the manager hook at 9 or 10 in your sliders and before each series set up the cpu pitching staff for a
3-man rotation for the 5 game series and 4 man for a 7 game series.
Btw, good luck, this is still a SORE subject coming off an 106 win season with my Nats & coming back from a 2- 1 series deficit to beat the Rockies in the NLDS series and getting swept by the Dodgers in a sweep on a walk off Bellinger HR.
Enjoy!! Yeah good times. 😭😭😭😭

Good luck

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »