Home

Any reasons to delay starting a Franchise?

This is a discussion on Any reasons to delay starting a Franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Lucky me, I was gifted '20 from a friend who is completely bored with RTTS. I guess a thanks to SDS for neglecting offline as it allows me to abuse my sanity without having to pay them for it, suckers.

Anyway, I'm planning to start and play only ONE franchise mode (I'm not doing the start/restart-thing because of the this-or-that-thing). I usually take a little time at the beginning of each year and play a few rounds of Conquest to get used to the game and work my way up to Legend difficulty. So, I'm looking for a consensus on the current state of the game and any possible reasons why it would make sense to wait to start the mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Any reasons to delay starting a Franchise?

Game is fine. No reason to delay starting a franchise imo

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Game is fine. No reason to delay starting a franchise imo
And I'd imagine there's been no talk of SDS patching the "real" 2020 schedule when it's been declared? No way of that happening, correct?
Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
And I'd imagine there's been no talk of SDS patching the "real" 2020 schedule when it's been declared? No way of that happening, correct?
I'd imagine that would be very difficult to do outside of them releasing another FULL game or an "expansion" - the structure of the franchise mode (dates things happen, etc) would have to be completely different and I don't think just a title update would cut it. Which would only mess with '21's development cycle and that's probably the last thing anyone at SDS wants since the possibility of going multiplatform opens up next year.

In a video game bubble I don't think there's any reason to hold off on starting one. But as for trying to replicate what we might see IRL in 2020 - I don't think that's gonna happen.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

There's nothing any sports game can do (outside of maybe football/soccer) to represent what leagues will be doing to accommodate for unfinished seasons. As the previous person said, it would likely require releasing a new game to create those calendars. I don't know to what extent DLC can do anything. And any add-on rescheduling update would be so close to a new game as to cut into development time for next year's game which will be delayed as is.

I see this as an opportunity if you're a sports game fan as I am, to just relax, live with things not being exactly perfectly represented and write your own rules. Might be easy for me to say as I already play only older games with roster updates and just accept whatever schedule that year's game comes with. But I think you can get bogged down with replicating things so much that you never play the game.

In response to Covid19 I'd love to see sports games focus more time for those of us offline (since they won't do anything else for us offline players anymore) in giving us the ability to modify more "house rules" the way FIFA has and to be allowed to create our own tournaments and season lengths of our choosing but just short, medium, regular. I don't think sports ever go back to the kinds of season lengths we've been used to since a non-capacity stadium is not something any owner will ever permit. All people needed was one more reason to not spend the ridiculous prices of going to a game and this was it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley

In response to Covid19 I'd love to see sports games focus more time for those of us offline (since they won't do anything else for us offline players anymore) in giving us the ability to modify more "house rules" the way FIFA has and to be allowed to create our own tournaments and season lengths of our choosing but just short, medium, regular. I don't think sports ever go back to the kinds of season lengths we've been used to since a non-capacity stadium is not something any owner will ever permit. All people needed was one more reason to not spend the ridiculous prices of going to a game and this was it.
I’m genuinely curious if people follow through on this. People have been complaining about soaring prices and bloated salaries for years. I know personally I’ve spent way less on attending games in the past several years. But I’m not sure the mass pop is actually willing to fight organizations on this.

But I am very very interested to follow the aftermath of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'd imagine that would be very difficult to do outside of them releasing another FULL game or an "expansion" - the structure of the franchise mode (dates things happen, etc) would have to be completely different and I don't think just a title update would cut it. Which would only mess with '21's development cycle and that's probably the last thing anyone at SDS wants since the possibility of going multiplatform opens up next year.

In a video game bubble I don't think there's any reason to hold off on starting one. But as for trying to replicate what we might see IRL in 2020 - I don't think that's gonna happen.
I have no idea that's why I asked. It's not about replicating real life to every extent (although that would be awesome), but I like to play every pitch of every game, including spring training, so I don't want to leave any stone unturned, especially if something that major was in the works. I'm not bemoaning it if they don't, but to be honest, I don't follow that closely anymore, and I was just wondering.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
I have no idea that's why I asked. It's not about replicating real life to every extent (although that would be awesome), but I like to play every pitch of every game, including spring training, so I don't want to leave any stone unturned, especially if something that major was in the works. I'm not bemoaning it if they don't, but to be honest, I don't follow that closely anymore, and I was just wondering.

There is no reason to think any of the issues in Franchise Mode will be addressed at this point. Not trying to be negative but there is no reason why you shouldn’t start now and just roll with it.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »