Home

Idea for Franchise to make SDS some $$$

This is a discussion on Idea for Franchise to make SDS some $$$ within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

So I think we mostly all agree that the reason that franchise is getting minimal love these days in The Show, and in sports games in general is the cash cow that are the card collecting games.

I was just playing a game in my franchise and Matty V, says something along the lines of "we'll be back after this" and I thought, what about commercials? What if franchise games had 10 second, non-skip-able commercials? I know that would frustrate many given the Heidi Watney outrage sometimes seen, but you'd have to think that Under Armour, Nike etc. would jump at the chance. I bet you'd be willing to get some of the stadium sponsors as well.

I just hope that if that were to happen that the companies would put the additional funds into their respective franchise modes, with bigger teams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #2
Rookie

hb5239799's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Idea for Franchise to make SDS some $$$

YES!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

They’d just use the extra cash to work on Diamond Dynasty.

So in theory, franchise would get even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #4
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0

There are so many ways to commercialize franchise mode. The fact is it’s just not a priority and our portion of The Show community is the minority.

As much as I want to see the mode grow, in-game commercials doesn’t interest me. Baseball games take long enough as is and temporarily unskippable Heidi is a drag enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ace2734; 06-02-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:48 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
So I think we mostly all agree that the reason that franchise is getting minimal love these days in The Show, and in sports games in general is the cash cow that are the card collecting games.

I was just playing a game in my franchise and Matty V, says something along the lines of "we'll be back after this" and I thought, what about commercials? What if franchise games had 10 second, non-skip-able commercials? I know that would frustrate many given the Heidi Watney outrage sometimes seen, but you'd have to think that Under Armour, Nike etc. would jump at the chance. I bet you'd be willing to get some of the stadium sponsors as well.

I just hope that if that were to happen that the companies would put the additional funds into their respective franchise modes, with bigger teams.
Oh hell no THAT is just what 2K had been doing for a while if I remember correctly. While it would require no money from our pockets I think the annoyance alone would steer people away from the mode.

Last edited by StateoftheFranchise; 06-02-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
Oh hell no THAT is just what 2K had been doing for a while if I remember correctly. While it would require no money from our pockets I think the annoyance alone would steer people away from the mode.

I agree. We are bombarded with commercials everywhere we turn. I don't watch TV networks that have commercials, unless I Tivo them so I can fast forward through them. I stopped watching sports years and years ago due to all the ads and having everything in-game being sponsored by something. Don't know if football still does it but it got old, real fast, hearing stuff like, "This kickoff is bought to you by", as if there would be no kickoff without a sponsor. Radio stations now have sold naming rights for their studios so we have to hear the plug every time the dude on the radio mentions where he is. Many even have naming rights for their e-mail "box". Those are just a very few examples.

The last place I want more advertising is in games. I will not buy any game that goes that route.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
They’d just use the extra cash to work on Diamond Dynasty.

So in theory, franchise would get even worse.
Perhaps, but in theory, having a higher revenue stream within franchise mode can prompt devs to say "hey, this mode is important to our bottom line" and thus get that 'blessing' from higher-ups to focus more attention to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateoftheFranchise
While it would require no money from our pockets I think the annoyance alone would steer people away from the mode.
This would be my concern as well. The vast majority of gamers (including franchise guys) are incredibly impatient. They want instant gratification and don't want to work for it. It's why some people sim games; not because they "don't have time" (in many, not all, cases) but because they want the "reward" handed to them as quickly as possible (no different than DD guys spending cash for cards vs "grinding").

Adding anything into the mode that can "drag things out" even more is going to likely push folks away.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

This would be my concern as well. The vast majority of gamers (including franchise guys) are incredibly impatient. They want instant gratification and don't want to work for it. It's why some people sim games; not because they "don't have time" (in many, not all, cases) but because they want the "reward" handed to them as quickly as possible (no different than DD guys spending cash for cards vs "grinding").

Adding anything into the mode that can "drag things out" even more is going to likely push folks away.
I think you've also hit a chord with why so many people find fault with the game. Impatient, looking for some perfect slider set, questioning everything when they lose, not much when they win. I would quit playing the game if I had to sit through a commercial.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »