Home

After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance

This is a discussion on After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #17
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
After playing every pitch of every inning in over 200 games of MLB '20, it has once again delivered one of the best sports gaming experiences that I have played and between the lines may deliver the best sports game that I have played to date.

MLB '20 certainly isn't without its warts, but my experience has allowed me to avoid a few of those (roster balance issue with new franchises - auto baserunning wonkiness)

As a carryover save player who plays his games on default Legend with zone hitting and meter pitching, MLB '20 delivers one hell of an experience on the diamond. The hitting feels pure, the pitching feels as though I can pitch off the fastball effectively again, fielding has advanced forward to better differentiate gold glovers for your average fielder. The crowd seems a bit more in tune to what is happening on the field, the stats that popup, especially when using the Show theme, really help immerse franchise players into their virtual universe. MLB '20 simply delivers the most authentic and enjoyable experience on the diamond than any of its predecessors, including last year's game.

Off the field, speaking purely from the franchise perspective, MLB '20 adds little substance to what I've already experienced years prior. The addition of relocation/rebranding is a nice change of pace, but something that I have very little interest in. The ability to make two way players is again a nice addition but not something that I personally care about. The biggest changes for me are the roster size additions as well as how the CPU is even better this year at building a roster within franchise mode. While I hope that with the advancement to the PS5 that franchise mode gets a lot of the little things added that are, imo, sorely needed (larger rosters, ability to edit managers, more robust draft, more robust injury system, etc..) the current franchise mode offers enough to continue to keep me interested and intrigued to play multiple years in this installment.

MLB '20 isn't going into the hall of fame. It may not even be a starter in the all-star game. But it does belong in the all-star game simply because of its on field play, which for me, will always triumph everything else, and that is where MLB '20 shines the brightest.

I look forward to what the SDS team can deliver on the next generation of hardware, but for now, kudos to SDS for once again delivering a great playing game on the diamond, that provide me with entertainment and keep me involved until MLB '21 launches next Spring.

Well said CB. Maybe its because I took a couple yrs off from buying MLBTS, but Im loving MLB20. Now I havent played anywhere near 200 games like you have, my gosh I dont know how anyone could find the time to play that much. Im kind of retired, and I dont have that much time to play, lol.

Sure its not without its flaws, as Ive been noticing a couple times, after games it will say a player of mine was caught stealing, even though he didnt even attempt to steal a base, but outside of that, Im very pleased with the game. Bunting does need some work, as it use to be too easy and now its way too hard, as you cant seem to deaden the ball, its always a rocket right to someone, or atleast Ive not been able to figure it out anyway.
Other than those 2 things, I dont have any gripes really gameplay wise, or that sliders cant fix. Sure I wish Franchise was more indepth, and I wish the sim stat engine would be improved upon, but gameplay wise, its the best its every been IMO.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 06-18-2020, 01:43 AM   #18
Rookie

Chad211's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparks87
Always look forward to your annual arse kiss thread

Im not going to pretend this game is something it isnt. All in all it's enough to get most people their baseball gaming fix during troubled times....and i appreciate you mentioned that the game DOES have its issues. But lets be real here...this is one of the worst iterations we've seen in years. The game has 12 patches already with #13 not too far away. That in itself should tell you something...

Sports games are hard to get perfect. I get it. They need to appeal to such a wide range of audiences from casual to hardcore. Thats hard to do in a sports simulation game. Where i (and i think most of the community have an issue) is this game has turned in to such a DD cash cow (which i cant say i blame them) that they've neglected other key areas of the game that many enjoy. They've patched the game so many times their code is likely jacked to where they create more issues than they fix.

There's no doubt in my mind that this year was a throwaway year considering they get to develop on new hardware next year and hopefully kill some of these long standing issues that get overlooked. I've been a loyal fan of this game for years and to me its been slowly fading as are most sports games these days....but i know damn well i'll probably play Day 1 every year.

I dont think its really "All Star" worthy. Personally, id just go with Good/Okay.
You got it right though!!! Thing is, As mainly as a franchise player the things that turn me off to this game is that the issues that are here with the game now can be corrected with an update and those things are players running down the field with the bat after a walk, important missing players still not there from day 1 and trying to play and enjoy a franchise when you hear things like “Back to Arizona and more spiring training baseball” when your playing in Cleveland or somewhere else. Most of this stuff is right there in front of your face during gameplay and the stuff that can be fixed with a solid game update is being ignored. SDS has all they need things right with this version still they just gotta do it and are not. Overall the game looks good and plays well but needs some more fine tuning.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 3

I’ve been waiting for this. Thank you
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
Pro

This is the version of the show I’ve played the least. The overall feeling of staleness has certainly kicked in hard this year IMO. Franchise is boring and has fallen behind others in the industry.
Gameplay which is usually solid has far too many homeruns and doesn’t feel as balanced as previous years.
Frame rate issues are better but still poor at times even on the ps4pro.
Lastly the god awful homerun camera remains with no option to disable.

Like Madden competition is sorely lacking
Old 06-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #21
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Overall MLB 20 is the most complete package they have put together yet.

On the field, the game has never played better!

It is easily the most refined gameplay the series has ever had. I poured close to 260 hours already into this years game with no stopping in sight. I am completely immersed in my year 4 Yankees carry over franchise all the way back from MLB 17.

I have a few other brand new ones ready to go as well as a year 4 carryover from MLB 16 too!

Add to that all the incredible classic rosters this cycle.......I am just having the time of my life playing console baseball.

The game does need some new life though in terms of upgraded franchise features (expanded rosters, minor leagues, scouting and drafting, historical minor league stats).

In desperately needs a refresh in terms of play by play and color commentary presentation.

So it is not perfect.

But I am addicted to the gameplay. It is simply a joy to play.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

The fielding issues that this game launched with shouldn’t have passed through beta testing - they were awful and caused many moments of frustration and “cheap” losses. The fact that it took a number of patches before they were fixed was equally frustrating.

Glad i stuck with the game though... it has turned into a very enjoyable experience reminiscent of past years - still my favorite game on any console.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #23
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Instead posting in a new thread I thought I'd just share here.

One thing this game does well is the CPU throwing behind runners when multiple runners on basepaths.

Example: playing the Mets and I have men on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. I hit a flyball in the gap that is being hung up by wind so I have to hold runners to ensure that its going to drop. when I know its going to fall in, I send the runners. Right fielder hits the cutoff man who can throw home (runner w/92 spd about halfway down the line) or he can throw to 3rd to try and get that runner (65 spd about halfway down the line). The cutoff man elects to throw to third, gets the runner out and helps stop the bleeding of a possible big inning because now there are 2 outs with a man on second and only one came across. Next batter flies out deep to left so the cutoff man getting the trailing runner at 3rd, saved a run.

Too often before in baseball games the CPU would always, or almost always, try to get the lead runner which at times led to big innings. Not in '20. They seem to be more aware of situation and who is running the bases.

Well done

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
Banned

Once again, out of the box, the game was great, fresh, the gameplay felt organic and I was enjoying it immensely.

15 patches later it's turned into the exact same mess it does every year. Every single year the patches make the game play exactly like the previous year because the developers are simply catering to the DD crowd. The game literally has become MLB the Show 2012.8647.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »