Home

An Ambitious Idea on How to Breath New Life Into Franchise

This is a discussion on An Ambitious Idea on How to Breath New Life Into Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

I was recently thinking about ways that SCEA could breath new life into franchise mode. Aside from a fully fleshed out owner mode, and stadium creator, both of which The Show needs to add in the near future, a thought I had was, what if we could start our franchise at any point in history. Complete with period accurate rosters and draft classes. How cool would it be to start a franchise in 1920 or 1988 or any other year and play all the way through 2020 and beyond? That would put carry over saves to the true test. Being able to draft Ken Griffey Jr in 1988, or Ted Williams in 1939. The rules and numbers of teams would also be period accurate. In other words in 1962, the Mets and Astros would automatically be added to the league complete with an expansion draft.

I know this would be an extremely ambitious task, as would getting the licenses to use basically every single player who ever played in the Majors and/or was drafted by Major League Baseball. With the power of next gen, if they can figure out all the logistics it MAY be feasible...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Pro

Re: An Ambitious Idea on How to Breath New Life Into Franchise

Love this idea.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

I think it would be a great feature, but probably not worth the time it would take to accurately model every player in major league history, not to mention every historic jersey, stadium, rule change, etc., assuming that’s the goal.

I wonder how OOTP handles this. Maybe since they don’t portray their likeness?
Old 06-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

Let’s just assume it would be possible and they could get all the rights and licenses to make it happen. Would it really be worth the effort for them? Even after figuring out how to make all that basic stuff that would just allow them to do it work, that would surely be a huge project that would take a lot of resources to do right. Yeah being able to include any former player would be a big positive for DD, but that’s about where their reason to do this would end isn’t it?

Plus, even their ‘Full Minors’ Roster this year wasn’t very good. I know it’s only year 1 of full minors out of the box in the Show but still. If they disappointed with that, what do you think the overall quality of those rosters for all those past years would be? That’s a lot of roster work. Not a huge classic roster guy, but personally I’ll take what some of the amazing roster creator’s on here do over in the roster section of the forum then whatever SDS would make.

Amazing idea but I don’t see it happening anytime soon and I don’t have much faith in them doing it well either, not saying they couldn’t, just not so sure that they would.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
I was recently thinking about ways that SCEA could breath new life into franchise mode. Aside from a fully fleshed out owner mode, and stadium creator, both of which The Show needs to add in the near future, a thought I had was, what if we could start our franchise at any point in history. Complete with period accurate rosters and draft classes. How cool would it be to start a franchise in 1920 or 1988 or any other year and play all the way through 2020 and beyond? That would put carry over saves to the true test. Being able to draft Ken Griffey Jr in 1988, or Ted Williams in 1939. The rules and numbers of teams would also be period accurate. In other words in 1962, the Mets and Astros would automatically be added to the league complete with an expansion draft.

I know this would be an extremely ambitious task, as would getting the licenses to use basically every single player who ever played in the Majors and/or was drafted by Major League Baseball. With the power of next gen, if they can figure out all the logistics it MAY be feasible...

this could theoretically be done on a PC but I don't see a console being able to until maybe PS8?

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
this could theoretically be done on a PC but I don't see a console being able to until maybe PS8?

We’ll be underwater by then

I’m 2K, can’t you start a franchise with one of the historical teams? I think that would be the best bet here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I mean it's a nice idea but the only thing I truly need is for them to expand the rosters.

You have no idea how much even just 5 more player spots on the roster would help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12

And when you become a multi-billionaire and can help them pay for the licensing for each player's likeness, I'm sure you can make it happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »