Home

Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

This is a discussion on Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Its On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

It’s the bottom of the ninth, my Reds are down 4-2 to the Giants, and the bottom of the order is up to bat. It’s not looking good. Thanks to a walk and a couple of base hits, however, the bases are suddenly loaded with no outs. Freddie Galvis pops up a fly ball, Nick Castellanos makes it home, and now we’re one run down with one out and runners on second and third. Except we’re not. The game is over and the Giants have won 4-2. While I thought I had timed it perfectly, I pressed L1 to tag up too early, and the CPU took a triple play to end the game. Worst feeling ever.

Despite the ending, the game was incredibly fun and realistic. I feel like I’ve got my settings and sliders right where I want them, and I’m getting some great gameplay along with realistic stats. What I’m not getting a great deal of at the moment is runs, but that’s down to me rather than the game. Being relatively new to baseball, I still find myself walking away from bases loaded situations empty handed, and failing to convert hits into runs.

Besides making sure that I wait to tag up (will never make this mistake again) are there any specific things that I should be doing to ensure that I make it home more often?

Is there a knack to stealing bases, for example? I’m pretty bad at that right now.

Or is there a specific type of pitch or hit that I should be looking for when the bases are loaded to make sure that I can get runners home?

Last edited by Mackrel829; 07-14-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Mackrel829 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Pro
 
Funkycorm's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,157
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
It’s the bottom of the ninth, my Reds are down 4-2 to the Giants, and the bottom of the order is up to bat. It’s not looking good. Thanks to a walk and a couple of base hits, however, the bases are suddenly loaded with no outs. Freddie Galvis pops up a fly ball, Nick Castellanos makes it home, and now we’re one run down with one out and runners on second and third. Except we’re not. The game is over and the Giants have won 4-2. While I thought I had timed it perfectly, I pressed L1 to tag up too early, and the CPU took a triple play to end the game. Worst feeling ever.

Despite the ending, the game was incredibly fun and realistic. I feel like I’ve got my settings and sliders right where I want them, and I’m getting some great gameplay along with realistic stats. What I’m not getting a great deal of at the moment is runs, but that’s down to me rather than the game. Being relatively new to baseball, I still find myself walking away from bases loaded situations empty handed, and failing to convert hits into runs.

Besides making sure that I wait to tag up (will never make this mistake again) are there any specific things that I should be doing to ensure that I make it home more often?

Is there a knack to stealing bases, for example? I’m pretty bad at that right now.

Or is there a specific type of pitch or hit that I should be looking for when the bases are loaded to make sure that I can get runners home?
Stealing is as much about the right situation as it is the player has the ability to steal with solid speed/steal attributes.

You never want to steal in a situation where the other pitcher can pitch out. Meaning, stealing on 0-0 is in general a bad idea. Stealing on 0-2 is also a bad idea. Most of my success comes from stealing on counts like 2-0 and 2-1. Counts where the pitcher doesn't want to fall to 3 ball counts so they put the ball in the zone.

Pitchers who pitch out on 0-0 will then tend to sidestep on 1-0. Side step pitches are less accurate and lead to 2-0 counts fairly often. Which as I said above is a perfect time to steal.

I also tend not to steal when my big bats are at the plate unless I can for sure get away with it. I don't want to take the bat out of my big boys and lose the chance to have them drive in more runs or worse end an inning.

Minimize stealing third unless it is a for sure. Never steal third with 2 outs. If it's a player you feel comfortable stealing with they are likely to score from second on a single to the outfield anyway. Especially if they have a good jump on contact.

Rule of thumb is you never want the third out to be at third.

Like so much in baseball, it is situational and experience will give you better ideas of when to steal.

And others will have different opinions on when to steal and that is the beauty of baseball.
__________________
Funkycorm

Currently Playing:
Ghost of Tsushima
MLB 20 The Show
Red Dead Redemption 2

Twitch
Twitter

Last edited by Funkycorm; 07-14-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Funkycorm is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Stealing is as much about the right situation as it is the player has the ability to steal with solid speed/steal attributes.

You never want to steal in a situation where the other pitcher can pitch out. Meaning, stealing on 0-0 is in general a bad idea. Stealing on 0-2 is also a bad idea. Most of my success comes from stealing on counts like 2-0 and 2-1. Counts where the pitcher doesn't want to fall to 3 ball counts so they put the ball in the zone.

Pitchers who pitch out on 0-0 will then tend to sidestep on 1-0. Side step pitches are less accurate and lead to 2-0 counts fairly often. Which as I said above is a perfect time to steal.

I also tend not to steal when my big bats are at the plate unless I can for sure get away with it. I don't want to take the bat out of my big boys and lose the chance to have them drive in more runs or worse end an inning.

Minimize stealing third unless it is a for sure. Never steal third with 2 outs. If it's a player you feel comfortable stealing with they are likely to score from second on a single to the outfield anyway. Especially if they have a good jump on contact.

Rule of thumb is you never want the third out to be at third.

Like so much in baseball, it is situational and experience will give you better ideas of when to steal.

And others will have different opinions on when to steal and that is the beauty of baseball.
Good stuff. Thanks a lot! I have a couple of follow up questions if thats ok?

1. When stealing, should I also be swinging at the ball every time? Or should I be taking a strike and hoping my guy gets to second before the catcher gets the ball there?

2. Can you tell me exactly what buttons youre pressing and when? Is it just a case of holding L2 and then releasing when the pitchers knee comes up?
Mackrel829 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Pro
 
Funkycorm's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,157
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
Good stuff. Thanks a lot! I have a couple of follow up questions if that’s ok?

1. When stealing, should I also be swinging at the ball every time? Or should I be taking a strike and hoping my guy gets to second before the catcher gets the ball there?

2. Can you tell me exactly what buttons you’re pressing and when? Is it just a case of holding L2 and then releasing when the pitchers knee comes up?
1. If you want to hit the ball and give the runner a head start, then yes. This is a hit and run. If you want a straight steal, the answer is no. Which is also why you don't generally try to steal with 2 strikes. I maybe only hit and run once a game and only if I know I will be getting a hittable pitch.

2. For me, I just hit L2 once or use the left joystick to point to the runner on first then tap L2. I don't buy into all of the hold L2 for the best jump. I have zero problem stealing with just preloading it. I am at work but I am pretty sure there is a tutorial screen there so you can check the controls screen in the main menu. I also never extend my lead. Too frequently it leads to them trying to pick you off at first and my runner freezing in shock.
__________________
Funkycorm

Currently Playing:
Ghost of Tsushima
MLB 20 The Show
Red Dead Redemption 2

Twitch
Twitter
Funkycorm is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
1. If you want to hit the ball and give the runner a head start, then yes. This is a hit and run. If you want a straight steal, the answer is no. Which is also why you don't generally try to steal with 2 strikes. I maybe only hit and run once a game and only if I know I will be getting a hittable pitch.

2. For me, I just hit L2 once or use the left joystick to point to the runner on first then tap L2. I don't buy into all of the hold L2 for the best jump. I have zero problem stealing with just preloading it. I am at work but I am pretty sure there is a tutorial screen there so you can check the controls screen in the main menu. I also never extend my lead. Too frequently it leads to them trying to pick you off at first and my runner freezing in shock.
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help!
Mackrel829 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Pro
 
Funkycorm's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,157
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the help!
No problem. We all start somewhere. Glad to help.
__________________
Funkycorm

Currently Playing:
Ghost of Tsushima
MLB 20 The Show
Red Dead Redemption 2

Twitch
Twitter
Funkycorm is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

REDEMPTION!

Another rough game against the Giants saw my Reds go six straight innings without a hit. 3-0 down at the bottom of the 7th, we somehow scrape together the runs to pull level. The Giants take the lead again in the 8th, but Derek Dietrich hits a solo HR to pull us back level once more. After a scoreless 9th inning from both sides, we enter extra innings tied at 4 runs apiece. My closer pitches a good inning and we get out with no runs conceded. After a base hit and two walks, we again find ourselves with bases loaded with one out. This time, however, it’s ends differently. Up steps Joey Votto and he cracks a grand slam home run into the stands and the Reds walk off 8-4 winners. This game can be so frustrating, and then so satisfying mere hours, or even minutes, later ����
Mackrel829 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2019
Re: Worst Feeling Ever + Tips for Scoring More Runs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
REDEMPTION!

Another rough game against the Giants saw my Reds go six straight innings without a hit. 3-0 down at the bottom of the 7th, we somehow scrape together the runs to pull level. The Giants take the lead again in the 8th, but Derek Dietrich hits a solo HR to pull us back level once more. After a scoreless 9th inning from both sides, we enter extra innings tied at 4 runs apiece. My closer pitches a good inning and we get out with no runs conceded. After a base hit and two walks, we again find ourselves with bases loaded with one out. This time, however, it€™s ends differently. Up steps Joey Votto and he cracks a grand slam home run into the stands and the Reds walk off 8-4 winners. This game can be so frustrating, and then so satisfying mere hours, or even minutes, later *‚*‚

You are right! The game of baseball is such a beautiful game. Anything can happen in a matter of seconds / minutes.

Quick story from my franchise, in running an Orioles franchise

Road game against the white sox, Im down 4-0 early in the game, I keep fighting to keep it there, keep it close, I got out of many jams. Top of the 7th I score 2, now Im down 2.

Top of the 8th I tie the ballgame with a huge clutch hit from my best guy Mancini.

Bottom of the 8th, First pitch (missed spot) Boom! Roberts hit a home run, down again 5-4

Top of the 9th, Hays gets on. Good. Now I have a lefty hitter against their closer who is also a lefty. I have no other RHB on the bench. I decided to hit with him.. big at bat, hit a double down the line, and now I have men on 3rd and 2nd, no outs. Next hitter hits a grounder to second and the run scores, tie game. They where able to retire the side and keep the game tie.

Bottom of the 9th, Moncada walks on a veryy very obvios strike 3 call missed by the ump. (Ugh) next batter, Anderson hits a big double that goes all the way to the back and Moncada scores to win the ballgame on a walkoff.

This game man! Its beautiful!
TonyMoraco15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Top -