Home

Keeping things fresh

This is a discussion on Keeping things fresh within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Keeping things fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
This is incredibly true. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Speaking for myself, the hardest part for me (and I have a hunch this is the OP's issue) is getting over that initial 'hump'. It's getting to that first point where you're invested into the franchise.

Even using Bacon's roster, I didn't quite settle-in right away. The one thing I did from the outset was commit to myself to get through April (playing every pitch); no starting-over, no waffling on "alternate franchises", just going in full-bore. I knew if I could do that, I'd be sucked-in; because the game is just that good. Sure enough - that's exactly what happened. I had key injuries, guys in slumps, big surprises and I complemented that with a story-arc changing trade. I was totally hooked by that point...and am already into Year 2.

The key is to let the game dictate the story for you. Now, I personally feel that real rosters make it more difficult to do so, there are SO many preconceptions of who's good, what "would/would not" happen, and "how things should play". But, to truly embrace a fictional universe, you HAVE to be able/willing to dive in without that initial "connection" and give it time to grow.
This is all very true. I think the hardest part is getting far enough into it that you stop caring so much about real-life transactions. I was 3/4 of the way through my 1st year with the Jays, and then all of the sudden it's the draft. OF COURSE I NEED TO HAVE THE NEW PICKS!!!! And then it was ruined.

I wish that you could import players after your franchise starts. I think that'd really help keep people invested.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
This is all very true. I think the hardest part is getting far enough into it that you stop caring so much about real-life transactions. I was 3/4 of the way through my 1st year with the Jays, and then all of the sudden it's the draft. OF COURSE I NEED TO HAVE THE NEW PICKS!!!! And then it was ruined.

I wish that you could import players after your franchise starts. I think that'd really help keep people invested.
I used to be that way; every new roster, every little transaction used to cause me to want to start over.

Then I realized something....the quest for authenticity ends the very minute you start a franchise. Why? 90 man rosters. You will NEVER have a perfectly authentic, real-life-mirroring experience. The minute you start a franchise, you are in an alternate universe made up of its own rules, its own dynamics, and it is instantly "not real". The minute I accepted that, I began enjoying franchise modes like I never had before.

The other thing I did last year, I avoided using the custom "full minors" rosters. I dove into an SDS roster from the beginning (yup, the one with "fake" players). Why, because it broadened that gap between "real life" and "my world".

My entire focus on franchise modes now is to tell a story. I treat every franchise mode just like an RPG (a la Skyrim) and let go of any consideration that it was a "simulator". I focused on "my players", "my team", and "my story" and role-played in the mode's environment.

It's a HUGE leap to make and not everyone can make it; but if you can, you'll have SO much more fun.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I used to be that way; every new roster, every little transaction used to cause me to want to start over.

Then I realized something....the quest for authenticity ends the very minute you start a franchise. Why? 90 man rosters. You will NEVER have a perfectly authentic, real-life-mirroring experience. The minute you start a franchise, you are in an alternate universe made up of its own rules, its own dynamics, and it is instantly "not real". The minute I accepted that, I began enjoying franchise modes like I never had before.

The other thing I did last year, I avoided using the custom "full minors" rosters. I dove into an SDS roster from the beginning (yup, the one with "fake" players). Why, because it broadened that gap between "real life" and "my world".

My entire focus on franchise modes now is to tell a story. I treat every franchise mode just like an RPG (a la Skyrim) and let go of any consideration that it was a "simulator". I focused on "my players", "my team", and "my story" and role-played in the mode's environment.

It's a HUGE leap to make and not everyone can make it; but if you can, you'll have SO much more fun.
So true. I always have been like that too. Honestly, the one thing I'll say about the COVID pandemic has been getting me into this mindset. I waiting until the Riding April 15th update and have had a franchise going since then. Into 2024 now and it's been a lot of fun making moves and adjusting the team based on that.

I tried starting a new one with the start of this season, but even so it's just not the same and as fun as I've been having with that team. Love the way I built it and how players have grown, regressed etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
Rookie

I love reading through the suggestions. Yeah, it's tough and it's a long grind. I might try the quick counts too? I don't know how I feel about that just yet. But, I'm on the same boat as some that I like having the real players. But, they all change and such anyway.

To start, I'm going to try to go 5 years into the future and keep tabs on players and what not. I'll trade the players with contracts too high that the game won't let them sign in FA and the others, I'll just release.

Building the team from bottom up again.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Trust me, there is nothing cooler than drafting someone in literally 2014 and be playing here in 2020 (real life time) with them as my ace.

I understand wanting real life prospects, but soon enough you get just as excited about fictional prospects. Sure, I look at the exciting roster the Jays have and I get the urge to play that, but then I think about all of the players completely unique to my universe that I'll lose, who I've built up slowly over literal years to become stars.

I'm at a point now where every issue the team has is thanks to my decision making. This isn't something I was handed. And in my eyes, Jose Lozano is as much a Blue Jay as Vladdy is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
Rookie

TonyMoraco15's Arena

I suggest using a team that is rebuilding... bump up the difficulty and fire away. Trust me when I tell you that you will enjoy every victory and If you can hang and turn the team around and win a WS, makes it even sweeter.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Trust me, there is nothing cooler than drafting someone in literally 2014 and be playing here in 2020 (real life time) with them as my ace.

I understand wanting real life prospects, but soon enough you get just as excited about fictional prospects. Sure, I look at the exciting roster the Jays have and I get the urge to play that, but then I think about all of the players completely unique to my universe that I'll lose, who I've built up slowly over literal years to become stars.

I'm at a point now where every issue the team has is thanks to my decision making. This isn't something I was handed. And in my eyes, Jose Lozano is as much a Blue Jay as Vladdy is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
This is how I feel. I am in 2027 and there is nothing sweeter than hearing Matty V say 'he was a first round pick in 2019 and they got it right.'

My Indians team is full of game generated players that are homegrown talent.

Every franchise I do the build up then play years later, my favorite player on the team is always my first draft pick from the first draft I did myself. From my Indians this year and last to my past franchises with the Giants, Rangers, Mariners, and Cardinals, that first pick turning into a superstar is always a thing of beauty. And they almost always, though hasn't happened yet with my Indians, earn a big extension.

Since I am continuing this Indians franchise long term, my LF Juan Cedeno will be an Indian for life.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
Rookie

Yeah, I know what you guys mean and I think I just need to find that connection again with a team that's not so good and build them.

I wish there was more utility with players though in the draft. I know you can edit but I'd like to see more of that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »