Home

After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance

This is a discussion on After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance

After playing every pitch of every inning in over 200 games of MLB '20, it has once again delivered one of the best sports gaming experiences that I have played and between the lines may deliver the best sports game that I have played to date.

MLB '20 certainly isn't without its warts, but my experience has allowed me to avoid a few of those (roster balance issue with new franchises - auto baserunning wonkiness)

As a carryover save player who plays his games on default Legend with zone hitting and meter pitching, MLB '20 delivers one hell of an experience on the diamond. The hitting feels pure, the pitching feels as though I can pitch off the fastball effectively again, fielding has advanced forward to better differentiate gold glovers for your average fielder. The crowd seems a bit more in tune to what is happening on the field, the stats that popup, especially when using the Show theme, really help immerse franchise players into their virtual universe. MLB '20 simply delivers the most authentic and enjoyable experience on the diamond than any of its predecessors, including last year's game.

Off the field, speaking purely from the franchise perspective, MLB '20 adds little substance to what I've already experienced years prior. The addition of relocation/rebranding is a nice change of pace, but something that I have very little interest in. The ability to make two way players is again a nice addition but not something that I personally care about. The biggest changes for me are the roster size additions as well as how the CPU is even better this year at building a roster within franchise mode. While I hope that with the advancement to the PS5 that franchise mode gets a lot of the little things added that are, imo, sorely needed (larger rosters, ability to edit managers, more robust draft, more robust injury system, etc..) the current franchise mode offers enough to continue to keep me interested and intrigued to play multiple years in this installment.

MLB '20 isn't going into the hall of fame. It may not even be a starter in the all-star game. But it does belong in the all-star game simply because of its on field play, which for me, will always triumph everything else, and that is where MLB '20 shines the brightest.

I look forward to what the SDS team can deliver on the next generation of hardware, but for now, kudos to SDS for once again delivering a great playing game on the diamond, that provide me with entertainment and keep me involved until MLB '21 launches next Spring.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: After 200 games played, MLB '20 delivers another all-star performance

Quote:
MLB '20 isn't going into the hall of fame. It may not even be a starter in the all-star game. But it does belong in the all-star game simply because of its on field play, which for me, will always triumph everything else, and that is where MLB '20 shines the brightest.
Don't think we realize how complex this game must be to make. We want everything "perfect" and I'm not sure that's possible. You're right, warts and all, the game play is amazingly good and fun. Picking up the PS5 for sure and if I'm still around next year will eagerly wait to see how this game transfers over.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Rookie

aparks87's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
After playing every pitch of every inning in over 200 games of MLB '20, it has once again delivered one of the best sports gaming experiences that I have played and between the lines may deliver the best sports game that I have played to date.

MLB '20 certainly isn't without its warts, but my experience has allowed me to avoid a few of those (roster balance issue with new franchises - auto baserunning wonkiness)

As a carryover save player who plays his games on default Legend with zone hitting and meter pitching, MLB '20 delivers one hell of an experience on the diamond. The hitting feels pure, the pitching feels as though I can pitch off the fastball effectively again, fielding has advanced forward to better differentiate gold glovers for your average fielder. The crowd seems a bit more in tune to what is happening on the field, the stats that popup, especially when using the Show theme, really help immerse franchise players into their virtual universe. MLB '20 simply delivers the most authentic and enjoyable experience on the diamond than any of its predecessors, including last year's game.

Off the field, speaking purely from the franchise perspective, MLB '20 adds little substance to what I've already experienced years prior. The addition of relocation/rebranding is a nice change of pace, but something that I have very little interest in. The ability to make two way players is again a nice addition but not something that I personally care about. The biggest changes for me are the roster size additions as well as how the CPU is even better this year at building a roster within franchise mode. While I hope that with the advancement to the PS5 that franchise mode gets a lot of the little things added that are, imo, sorely needed (larger rosters, ability to edit managers, more robust draft, more robust injury system, etc..) the current franchise mode offers enough to continue to keep me interested and intrigued to play multiple years in this installment.

I look forward to what the SDS team can deliver on the next generation of hardware, but for now, kudos to SDS for once again delivering a great playing game on the diamond, that provide me with entertainment and keep me involved until MLB '21 launches next Spring.
Always look forward to your annual arse kiss thread

Im not going to pretend this game is something it isnt. All in all it's enough to get most people their baseball gaming fix during troubled times....and i appreciate you mentioned that the game DOES have its issues. But lets be real here...this is one of the worst iterations we've seen in years. The game has 12 patches already with #13 not too far away. That in itself should tell you something...

Sports games are hard to get perfect. I get it. They need to appeal to such a wide range of audiences from casual to hardcore. Thats hard to do in a sports simulation game. Where i (and i think most of the community have an issue) is this game has turned in to such a DD cash cow (which i cant say i blame them) that they've neglected other key areas of the game that many enjoy. They've patched the game so many times their code is likely jacked to where they create more issues than they fix.

There's no doubt in my mind that this year was a throwaway year considering they get to develop on new hardware next year and hopefully kill some of these long standing issues that get overlooked. I've been a loyal fan of this game for years and to me its been slowly fading as are most sports games these days....but i know damn well i'll probably play Day 1 every year.

I dont think its really "All Star" worthy. Personally, id just go with Good/Okay.

Last edited by aparks87; 06-16-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparks87
Always look forward to your annual arse kiss thread

Im not going to pretend this game is something it isnt. All in all it's enough to get most people their baseball gaming fix during troubled times....and i appreciate you mentioned that the game DOES have its issues. But lets be real here...this is one of the worst iterations we've seen in years. The game has 12 patches already with #13 not too far away. That in itself should tell you something...

Sports games are hard to get perfect. I get it. They need to appeal to such a wide range of audiences from casual to hardcore. Thats hard to do in a sports simulation game. Where i (and i think most of the community have an issue) is this game has turned in to such a DD cash cow (which i cant say i blame them) that they've neglected other key areas of the game that many enjoy. They've patched the game so many times their code is likely jacked to where they create more issues than they fix.

There's no doubt in my mind that this year was a throwaway year considering they get to develop on new hardware next year and hopefully kill some of these long standing issues that get overlooked. I've been a loyal fan of this game for years and to me its been slowly fading as are most sports games these days....but i know damn well i'll probably play Day 1 every year.

I dont think its really "All Star" worthy. Personally, id just go with Good/Okay.
If my posting this thread is bothersome to you then you have the option to bypass and not post at all. Not everyone likes everything equally and not everyone shares the same views of the game as I do.

But if you can't share your differing opinion without the added condescending remarks and tone, then perhaps you shouldn't be sharing your opinion in this thread and start one of your own.

Just food for thought.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I’ve been very conflicted with this years game. While playing I feel the game is better than it’s ever been. I haven’t seen many of the issues that others have complained about and am completely satisfied when I finish a game and turn off the PS4.

However I have been less inclined to play several games back to back this year. An hour at a time every other day seems to satisfy my itch this year. I’m feeling that franchise mode has gotten a bit stale. I assume it’s more me than the game though. Maybe I just need to take a year off and come back with a fresh outlook.

I used to dabble in DD to get a change from my franchise but I find the DD content to be very bland this year as well.

I’ll keep playing just not as often as previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
I’ve been very conflicted with this years game. While playing I feel the game is better than it’s ever been. I haven’t seen many of the issues that others have complained about and am completely satisfied when I finish a game and turn off the PS4.

However I have been less inclined to play several games back to back this year. An hour at a time every other day seems to satisfy my itch this year. I’m feeling that franchise mode has gotten a bit stale. I assume it’s more me than the game though. Maybe I just need to take a year off and come back with a fresh outlook.

I used to dabble in DD to get a change from my franchise but I find the DD content to be very bland this year as well.

I’ll keep playing just not as often as previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

It's a great game. It's entertaining, there's a lot going on visually that is amazing, and IMO, it actually plays pretty well.

But yeah, I do feel less inclined to play multiple games in a row. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the stale franchise mode. Who knows.

Realistically though, I feel like (for me at least), it's kind of a similar feeling to a game series like Assassins Creed. I used to have a lot of fun playing them, but when you release the same "type" of game (Yes, there are some pretty incredible improvements every time) on a year to year basis, unless you have some massive upgrade, it's going to get stale. I still play them, but it's no longer a sprint to the finish.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I have to concur with CB's assessment here. I'm not quite at 200 games (probably closer to 130-150 games - including 100 or so in my current franchise).

Now, I play quite a bit differently than CB. I'm a clean-screen, directional/classic guy on AS+. But, like CB, I play all my games and it's on-the-field where the game shines. I'm using Bacon's fictional roster and having a blast with that...and I may, one day, actually go back to my Reds carryover.

Yeah, the mode has its warts; but none of them really detract from my fun/immersion because I'm personally more focused on my roleplaying as a GM vs trying to 'replicate real life'.

This is the ONLY sports game where ratings actually really matter; where we get an experience that gives the flavor of the real thing. This is the one aspect of the game I truly applaud SDS for...the battle between the pitcher and the batter.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

I've played this years game far less than any other years that I can recall, which probably says most of it tbh. I frequently find myself starting the game up, cycling through menu screens for 15 minutes trying to motivate myself to play the game, then just quit.

It's not that the game is bad, it's just not moved enough to feel fresh and the few things they have changed have taken the game backwards as much as they have forwards unfortunately. The direction the developers are taking gives me little hope that things will improve any time soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »