Home

Playstation 5 HDR mode..!!

This is a discussion on Playstation 5 HDR mode..!! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

OVR: 4

What HDR mode is best for MLB20 on the PS5 I have it on balanced mode but is there a better one to run ?? Thanks.
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Playstation 5 HDR mode..!!

HDR (high dynamic range) is either ON or OFF

The modes faster / balanced / sharper are resolution.

The PS5 can handle sharper (4k) with no issues. That said, the end result of the video image highly depends on the specs / calibration of your display.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

haaha, damn, u should be using 'sharper' mode on ps5 and hdr ON
Old 04-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Rookie

catcherforbaseball's Arena

OVR: 1

I played around with this a decent bit yesterday since I just received my PS5.

For starters, if you are interested in HDR for MLB The Show, it's really helpful to watch this video when setting up your PS5. It's a bit long but this guy makes a lot of sense when referring to lighting setup. In HDR mode (normal settings), MLB The Show does look dark in nature. This video will help you answer why and make it look brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwcSCgW47rY

I play on "faster" because I want as minimal input lag as possible. Now this depends on your display/TV a lot as well. I am on a 37 inch TCL which performed very well with the PS4. With HDR mode on and selected to "Balanced" I do see some increased input lag. Without making this post six paragraphs long, I will suggest this, watch the video above and then play around with the settings on The Show then head into Custom Practice to see if it meets your needs.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
What HDR mode is best for MLB20 on the PS5 I have it on balanced mode but is there a better one to run ?? Thanks.
You should definitely be playin with Sharper and HDR ON with the Ps5 playing MLB 20.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoo2911
You should definitely be playin with Sharper and HDR ON with the Ps5 playing MLB 20.

The first part of your sentence is correct, but you should only use HDR if your display is capable. You must have a wide color gamut display and you need around 1000 nits of brightness for a good HDR experience. Wide color is mandatory, but I wouldn't even consider using HDR with less than 600 nits.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklecutter
The first part of your sentence is correct, but you should only use HDR if your display is capable. You must have a wide color gamut display and you need around 1000 nits of brightness for a good HDR experience. Wide color is mandatory, but I wouldn't even consider using HDR with less than 600 nits.
This. Please know your TV's specs. HDR is 99% dependent on your TV's specs to work right, or look like HDR should.

You are spot on with the 1000 nits. Mine hits a peak of 1000 almost exactly, give or take a few nits. And like you said, if your TV doesn't have a wide color gamut, HDR will not work like it's intended. No way around that.

You can find out if your TV has a wide color gamut and how many nits it has on rtings.com for most TV's. If your TV was under $1,000 it's probably not good enough for real HDR, although there are a few exceptions. Just know that just because your TV says it's HDR, it may not have the specs to deliver noticeable real HDR. Pretty much every TV sold now says it's HDR. And they can get away with it because there is no industry standard for it.

With that said, no matter what TV you have, just go with looks the best to you. That's all that really matters anyway.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklecutter

Yea, you are correct tho. Need at LEAST 600 nits…
My Sony X900F gets around 900 Nits in HDR and MLB looks amazing!! I have a 43 inch Samsung Q60R in my bedroom and it tops out at 420. I keep HDR off on that TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »