Home

The greatest video game ever

This is a discussion on The greatest video game ever within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Rookie

cryuff's Arena

OVR: 1
The greatest video game ever

I have been playing video games for 25 years. This is by far the best game ever made.
I use Josh’s sliders
I just finished the Mets regular season. I played every inning of 162 games. We had to win the last game of the year to win the division. We had 92 wins.
So of course the last game against the Marlins went 16 innings before I won.
What a season and game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The greatest video game ever

baseball is my personal favorite type video game to play but I'll go with Pac-Man for Best Video Game All-Time, with Super Mario Bros. averyclosesecond. honorable mention to GTA's III & IV

what is great about the Show for me is I can still play any Show from 09 to 19 and still enjoy as much as the last incarnation of 20. looking forward to the next 10 years of what the Show brings to the table

A Work in Progress
Old 12-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
baseball is my personal favorite type video game to play but I'll go with Pac-Man for Best Video Game All-Time, with Super Mario Bros. averyclosesecond. honorable mention to GTA's III & IV

what is great about the Show for me is I can still play any Show from 09 to 19 and still enjoy as much as the last incarnation of 20. looking forward to the next 10 years of what the Show brings to the table

MLB The Show made a baseball fan out of me. Prior to playing MLB The Show, I wasn't all that big on the game of baseball. Unlike hockey (to me another one of the great sports out there due to its speed), I always found baseball to be a slow and yes at that times rather boring game. I could really only tune in during the playoffs and even then only really watch the closing innings of a game. But that was before I really began to understand and appreciate what the pitchers and what the batters do to each other.

Of the five major video game sports out there (football, baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer), it has always been easy for me to skip a year for most titles with the exception of MLB The Show. I have bought the game every year since MLB The Show 12 mainly because the guys and gals down at San Diego Studio always seem to add and improve their game every year. EA's NHL hockey series would come in second as I have bought that game more than Madden football, the NBA 2K and FIFA or Pro Evolution soccer games. But that wasn't because EA was doing something right with their hockey games. No it was only because I keep hoping that video hockey could become better and well as being a Canuckistani who's head splits in two when I speak (South Park reference of course) I was born with two skates on my feet and a hockey stick in my hand. Now if I was more of a basketball fan (I do respect the sport, but sorry its just not my game) I could argue that the NBA 2K game is just as good if not better than MLB The Show. But yeah San Diego Studios just seems to care more about their games than all these other game makers.

With that said, I think Grand Theft Auto V as well as one of its predecessors, the San Andreas version of the game (now 15+ years old) will always have a special place in my gaming heart for its open world concept. I loved roaming both worlds looking to find new BASE jumping exit points to open up. And why was I into finding new BASE jumping exits points in GTA? Well that's because in a past life (I am no longer current ... hangs head in shame), I did it in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsZwpqk6MUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhpQLIs3qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvLxDfuzxd8

But don't try this at home (unless you are doing it in a game like GTA) without first doing hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of skydives first because BASE jumping is an order of magnitude more dangerous than skydiving and/or playing video games. Now getting hit in the head with a fastball? Knock on wood, it never happened to me in the real world, but that sounds pretty dangerous as well.

Last edited by My993C2; 12-05-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

^ ^ ^
yeah, I'm not about to practicing skydiving by jumping out of perfectly good aeroplane. I'll do my jumping from gta lol.

as great as the Show already is, you can still see it has so much potential, it could theoretically go from a 99 (an A+) score on my rating scale to a 1000. it would have probably already been there if diamond dynasty hadn't evolved into the beast it's become. someone could write a book, or at least a thread, "DD, The Monster That Ate Franchise: Or... How I Learned To Stop Hating DD And Love the 'Chise".

A Work in Progress
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
^ ^ ^
yeah, I'm not about to practicing skydiving by jumping out of perfectly good aeroplane. I'll do my jumping from gta lol.

as great as the Show already is, you can still see it has so much potential, it could theoretically go from a 99 (an A+) score on my rating scale to a 1000. it would have probably already been there if diamond dynasty hadn't evolved into the beast it's become. someone could write a book, or at least a thread, "DD, The Monster That Ate Franchise: Or... How I Learned To Stop Hating DD And Love the 'Chise".

I remember about a year ago I went on all their social media accounts to see which portions of the game they were advertising. On all of their accounts combined, franchise wasn't mentioned at all and I back dated Twitter for months. It wasn't even mentioned as a game mode on their Instagram account, that I remember.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

It’s the best sports game on the market for many reasons, but The Show is (in my opinion) far, far and away the best sports sim. I feel like the game I play reflects real baseball. Sure, sliders help, but no amount of tinkering with sliders or gameplay in, say 2K or Madden, makes the game feel like an authentic sim.

*FWIW, I think 2K and Madden were more realistic sim’s 5-10 years ago than now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

The Show is the best sports game for sure. I would argue as good as any sports game, all-time. Definitely the best representation of the sport. But in SDS' case, also the easiest to mimic. (not saying that as a dig)

And Madden just gave the throne away, lets be honest. Fat, drunk, and all manners of wh*r!ng, just like Robert Baratheon.

If MLBtS comes to PC, and we can really dig under the hood, and turn this into a 900hp machine, NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER I will call this the greatest game of my lifetime. But I can't do it before then. I had WAYYYY to much fun with Madden over the years.

.. it doesn't even need to come to PC. An external roster editor would change this game infinitely for the better.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 12-07-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Pro

I was thinking about making a thread like this recently.

I've only started playing The Show in the last year or so. I grew up with baseball as my favorite sport. I drifted it from it some over the years due to changes in the game, but more so that as an adult it is harder for me to follow the game. As a kid and teen I would watch every game and follow the box scores. I knew most teams lineups, every closer and setup man in both leagues. I was obsessed.

College football has ultimately taken over as my favorite sport to watch, but baseball has maintained a special place in my heart.

Finding The Show has been amazing. I have yet to find a sports game that replicates the on field experience of the sport the way that The Show does. It feels like a real game of baseball. My starters have off days as do my relievers. Some games I find myself leaving 14 men on base one game but then the next game making that clutch single up the middle with runners in scoring position to take the lead in the 8th.

The Show is an amazing game. Even despite its flaws, I truly believe it is the best on field sports game out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »