Home

Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent...

This is a discussion on Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent...

Great ideas. I would also love to see them add a few other items that were featured in MVP 05 that are long over due.

1. Playable Single A teams. MVP had them in the game. Would be nice to see them finally added into the show, especially now that the the minors have been reduced anyway.

2. Rain outs - MVP had delays and rain outs in their Dynasty/owner mode. With expanded memory in games now you could even add roster additions for double header days. Plus, with the new 7 inning double header rule coming back for this season double headers should be a part of the game with rescheduled games.

3. Also with weather, if we're playing a game at a stadium with a retractable roof and it starts raining, have the roof shut. MVP 05 had this in the game way back then.

4. Minor league stat tracking. MVP 05 did this. They didn't start tracking the minor leaguers until the 05 season (the year the game came out.) They could do the same for any minor leaguer they don't have in the game. Helps us with year to year evaluation.

For a fun trip down memory lane I found this old interview done right here at OS for MVP 05 before it was released.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...005-interview/
Old 03-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun

3. Ratings against certain pitches.

Dansby Swanson is among the better fastball hitters, but can't hit a slider to save his life at times. Some players so better against at breaking pitches than fastballs, especially when they get older. I'd love to be able to reflect that in the ratings.
They kinda have this with the quirk system. I’m not saying that it can’t be improved though. For one, they could have the quirks have some more impact. Right now, if you have the fastball perk, dead red I think it is, it just makes the pci a little bigger, but they could also have it adjust the timing window too. They could also add negative quirks too for players that struggle with certain things.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Ben Brinkman was the man, wonder what he is up to these days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Ben Brinkman was the man, wonder what he is up to these days.
He had a passion for baseball games. I enjoyed reading an interview from the days before pay to play card games became the main focus of sports titles.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 0

mlbts 20 was a far better game than anything EA has produced. I suspect the game will be diluted now with multiple platforms draining developer resources as evidenced by no carry over saves.

mlbts 20 could well be the best game ever made.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
Banned

1. Better gameplay

2. Better commentary

3. Better graphics
Old 03-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
Let's admit, MVP 2005 was ahead if it's time, especially looking back at games two console generations later. Three things EA did would make MLB the Show play much better and give more realistic stats for hitters.

1. Create an energy rating separate from durability.

This is pretty self explanatory. Some guys are in great shape and injury prone. Some are out of shape but not necessarily injury prone. In 93 and 94, Mark McGwire was probably in great shape, but had brittle feet.

2. Separate swing aggression from plate discipline.

I came up watching 80s baseball, an era where they didnt seing at bad pitches as much as they swung at the first strike they saw. They were both very aggressive and very judicious. Others, like Jason Heyward, have a good eye but arent very aggressive. Then you have Javy Baez...

3. Ratings against certain pitches.

Dansby Swanson is among the better fastball hitters, but can't hit a slider to save his life at times. Some players so better against at breaking pitches than fastballs, especially when they get older. I'd love to be able to reflect that in the ratings.

What do you guys think?

Having a separate rating for injury: what would it be used for? If it’s just to determine chance of injury on each play or between games etc then I can understand not having its own rating as it keeps things simple for us and (more importantly) the devs. If they started down this track the. There would be pages and pages of different ratings that are used for only single calculations. Plus more variables taking up more memory.

Combining durability and injury is a natural compromise as they are for the most part related to each other. Yes there may be players for whom there *could* be a case against, but generally the better shape in which people are, the less chance of game-related injury they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »