Home

Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent...

This is a discussion on Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25
Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent...

Let's admit, MVP 2005 was ahead if it's time, especially looking back at games two console generations later. Three things EA did would make MLB the Show play much better and give more realistic stats for hitters.

1. Create an energy rating separate from durability.

This is pretty self explanatory. Some guys are in great shape and injury prone. Some are out of shape but not necessarily injury prone. In 93 and 94, Mark McGwire was probably in great shape, but had brittle feet.

2. Separate swing aggression from plate discipline.

I came up watching 80s baseball, an era where they didnt seing at bad pitches as much as they swung at the first strike they saw. They were both very aggressive and very judicious. Others, like Jason Heyward, have a good eye but arent very aggressive. Then you have Javy Baez...

3. Ratings against certain pitches.

Dansby Swanson is among the better fastball hitters, but can't hit a slider to save his life at times. Some players so better against at breaking pitches than fastballs, especially when they get older. I'd love to be able to reflect that in the ratings.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Three things SDS should copy from EA they havent...

Not so much from EA that I remember, but since you’re talking about attributes, it would be cool if pitchers had a Pick off attribute. Players like max Fried do a really good job of controlling the running game while Jon Lester can’t throw to a base. Right now pick offs are basically pointless.

Last edited by jimmy13; 03-01-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
Let's admit, MVP 2005 was ahead if it's time, especially looking back at games two console generations later. Three things EA did would make MLB the Show play much better and give more realistic stats for hitters.

This is pretty self explanatory. Some guys are in great shape and injury prone. Some are out of shape but not necessarily injury prone. In 93 and 94, Mark McGwire was probably in great shape, but had brittle feet.

I came up watching 80s baseball, an era where they didnt seing at bad pitches as much as they swung at the first strike they saw. They were both very aggressive and very judicious. Others, like Jason Heyward, have a good eye but arent very aggressive. Then you have Javy Baez...

Dansby Swanson is among the better fastball hitters, but can't hit a slider to save his life at times. Some players so better against at breaking pitches than fastballs, especially when they get older. I'd love to be able to reflect that in the ratings.

What do you guys think?
100% on ratings against different pitches.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

Ratings vs certain pitches would be pretty neat, even if it were just broken up into fastball/breaking/off-speed.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Operation Sports mobile app

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 03-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #5
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Durability has to be 2 separate attributes.. 1 for injury and 1 for endurance. an injury prone player shouldn't also be 'tired' all the time.

so have one for Injury and have one for Stamina. just because someone like Stanton doesn't stay healthy for a week doesn't mean he get's tired after 2 days.

I would also like to be able to see the BP stamina before a game starts not just during a game. so then you can decide who the closer is for that game. and the CPU would use that logic as well and not always use a closer in the 9th innings no matter how tired he is. the A1 should use a priority in what pitchers to use in the BP by the stamina.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Pro

Herschie's Arena

I thought it was cool in FIFA how you could adjust the color of the grass and the wear and tear.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

3 things to take from EA:
* half of EA's customers
* rebrand as Maddon MLB 21
* 2 words - ''rocket punts''

nah, scratch that last one:
* market a version to personal computers

A Work in Progress
Old 03-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun

What do you guys think?
Love this list and most importantly, lets get a current and potential rating for every individual rating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »