Home

MLB The Show 21 Hitting - Here's What We Would Improve

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Hitting - Here's What We Would Improve within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
MLB The Show 21 Hitting - Here's What We Would Improve

In MLB The Show 20, developers at SDS pushed forward with "perfect" inputs for hitting as...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
Rookie

candidcubs705's Arena

OVR: 0
This is a great article! I love a lot of the points made above. I wanted to add one more: Batter view. I have noticed a slight competitive advantage to pitch tracking in the closer strike zone cameras vs the Fish eye, larger views. I know this can come down to player preference, but in a sport in which vision is important, it seems strange that this is the case. I would like the camera angles in competitive play to be consistent. I may be off base here, but it is something I have observed myself.*
Old 03-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: MLB The Show 21 Hitting - Here's What We Would Improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by candidcubs705
This is a great article! I love a lot of the points made above. I wanted to add one more: Batter view. I have noticed a slight competitive advantage to pitch tracking in the closer strike zone cameras vs the Fish eye, larger views. I know this can come down to player preference, but in a sport in which vision is important, it seems strange that this is the case. I would like the camera angles in competitive play to be consistent. I may be off base here, but it is something I have observed myself.*
That's a good one. I was just thinking of direct hitting mechanics, but certainly some cameras are a bit better than others by default, which is something interesting to consider for competitive purposes.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Been waiting for an MLB game with cursor hitting (PSY style) for over 10 years. Guess its not going to happen. All theese leagues monopolizing their licenses is not good, I still remember owning MVP Baseball 04, allstar baseball 04 and high heat...those were the days.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

You sort of touch on it, but for me, zone hitting will never be right until they sort out the main problem. Contact, far too much contact. You can completely miss the ball with your PC, have late or early timing, yet still either foul off or put the ball in play weakly. Missing the PCI should be missing the ball, early/late should make the PCI smaller. Baseball doesn't work unless hitting the ball is difficult.

I get that they want to make it easier on new players, but that's what lower difficulties are for(larger PCI, more forgiving timing window). If you can't get the right amount of contact then you can't aim for realistic BABIP, as it would mean just endless runs. So instead we are stuck with artificially low BABIP (usually in the form of super fielders who can outrun a 100mph line drive) to make up for the fact there aren't nearly enough swing and misses.

Until they get that right, I don't think hitting will ever be particularly good with zone. Instead it will continue to have far too much randomness baked in and will continue to feel like your input isn't really mattering much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Just started!

Your point about foul balls is spot on. I've been a show player for many, many years and my, biggest gripe w hitting is my lack of strikeouts vs cpu. My flaw is I swing too much. But I hate that I don't strike out much. You hit it on the head saying if pci placement isn't at least on the ball, it should be a swing and miss. If you are "very late" on a swing, it should result in much small area to allow foul balls. Poster above described exactly how it should play out.

And I'd like to see the ratings matter for this. If I'm playing as Keston Huira who led NL in strikeout last year, he probably should have one of the smaller pci's in the game

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Rookie

I wish the analog controller played a bigger role in the batter wind up. There was an old arcade game named World Series baseball that had the little analog handle to control the windup with a realease for contact but a full push for contact. I thought that was a fun concept. I think analog realease would serve well. Hitting last year was pretty good as a whole. I can't think of how much more you need to add to a good recipe. I just wish the game had more context control after the action has started. The show has always been a watered down click and press game. Once the ball is hit, the game is pretty pedestrian. Once the ball is hit, the cpu really takes over once you identify the ball location. Catch made, back to pitching. I would like to see more control over the players once the ball is in motion. I hate the computers involvment in my movements. I would love to throw the ball around after the play is over. I would like to be able to interact with different areas of the field. I would to have some sort of fun other than pitching and hitting. The game has become stale.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Rookie

I really rather mlb2k batting controls

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »