Home

Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about.

This is a discussion on Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Franchise Players: A Question I have always been curious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
One other thing I do before I start franchise when it comes to "testing" (but really I'm just waiting on updated rosters from the community haha):
  • Play games as a stacked team (ex: AL All Stars) vs. a weak team (ex: AA team). I need to make sure that I can basically crush them every time out.
  • Flip that script and play as a weak team against a stacked team. I need to make sure that I can basically get crushed every time out.
  • Play as some team, against that same team. Try heavy offensive teams, strong pitching teams, etc. Just seeing the balance/competitiveness that I get on that front.
I can get plenty of games in this way when waiting on rosters, but these are good ways to kind of test sliders out.
This is how I tune my sliders for every sports game just about. I play a ton of play now games because I find it fun and it let's me use a variety of teams and get the sliders ironed out in a way I don't think I could achieve just playing as my favorite team repeatedly.

It allows me to see all the different teams, players, stadiums, etc. while also being productive with the slider work. Plus it is also fun to be the Dodgers and just beat up on a team like the Orioles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #26
Rookie

TotesMaGotes's Arena

OVR: 1

I play to have fun with baseball. Sometimes that is a realistic game that is a little stressful but rewarding. Sometimes that is a game where Nick Castellanos goes yard 5 times and has a 6-6 game with 11 RBI. The end results don't matter as much as "Did I have fun while I played the game?"
Old 03-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #27
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesMaGotes
I play to have fun with baseball. Sometimes that is a realistic game that is a little stressful but rewarding. Sometimes that is a game where Nick Castellanos goes yard 5 times and has a 6-6 game with 11 RBI. The end results don't matter as much as "Did I have fun while I played the game?"
Once you strike the balance, you can take those prized possessions with you. I won't question that unless it starts happening every game or something.

But ever since sliders became a thing, I began having fun in authenticity. Back in the day, you wouldn't want to know how I liked to play sports games, but basically even if I beat my opponent 100-0, I wouldn't care (and yes, I'm talking about baseball video games haha).

I've scored so many runs on games in MLB 99, that I lost. That's right, my run total turned negative! I think it was after scoring 128 runs or something like that. It has to do with computational storage (and powers of 2).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #28
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamEscapePlan
Hopefully he meant that in jest. That's what I was assuming but I did a double-take when I saw that you said you played every pitch for every team and obviously for most of us that task would be near impossible, even in Madden in a 16-game season; but I think that stuff like this is just awesome. I wish I had the patience to play out a whole 162 game season but I always trail off somewhere and I hate it. The cool thing about The Show is that it allows the user to not have to start their season from scratch each year. Although that feature never does much for me because I am an absolute stickler for accurate and up-to-date rosters and ratings (I think I have sports game OCD).

Honestly, I would love to see your end of season statistics from this. It would be absolutely fascinating to see that much user-determined data across an entire league. I do something similar but I only play each game for my own team while I individually sim each game to mostly mimic real-life for all the other teams, it slows me down every year and is probably the culprit to why I've never made it to playing all of my regular season games.
Well in starting my (pretend 2021 season on 2020 schedule that never happened) I am where most teams have played 7 or 8 games right now. I started this in Feburary. I think once I get a month in it is better to post stats then.

I can tell you now lots of really good players are off to terrible starts DJ for yankees is 2 for 29!!! Juan Sotto and tatis are off to awful starts as well.

I love how that I have controlled every stat.. also if a big transaction happens in real life I will update it in my franchise (yeah you can call me even more crazy now too lol)

and Yes I used to play all the games with madden at one time too. that was much easier however I could play 3 or 4 madden games a day which meant I would finish one week of the season in 4 days back in the day. I stopped playing madden and gave up on it back in 2012 though. I used to just control the team offences and let the CPU do all the defense plays and swap controllers but I tried to play as though I wanted to win. back in PS2 days I had so much fun playing this way this is how it all started for me to play this way

see how I said I gave up with madden in 2012?? because that was the year 32 team control was taken out... then they kinda tried to bring it back since then it takes like a 1 hour to set up 32 team profiles and set up rosters the CPU messes up.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesMaGotes
amen, this can't be stressed enough. I think this is what part of what drives the success of Diamond Dynasty. you don't get bogged down by trying to recreate IRL MLB. DD isn't my cup of tea but it's still baseball at it's core, just not MLB sim baseball. nothing wrong with that, just not for me. as for the enjoying a game, I've played my share of seasons struggling to win 70 games but even losing 90+ games can still provide plenty of entertainment. and theatrics. but I'm also the kind of guy who enjoys a good nightmare while I'm asleep. it's like getting to watch a good movie, for free lol

A Work in Progress
Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 0

I use manage mode exclusively and getting the stats right in this game has to be the heaviest lift in any sports game.

They do an excellent job under the circumstances. They were near perfect until someone instituted the strange ball curving foul dynamic which threw an monkey wrench in the stats but they have attempted to increase offense in other areas since.

Seems to me user input with a controller would wreck havoc on the stats but I can't verify that since I'm manage mode. I set the controller down on a table and only pick it up when I need to make a move.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
No thanks.. I don't need help I am happy with 2 kids with a family and to spend my free time at night to myself playing 2 or 3 games a night of a season. it's not like I sit on it 24-7

Last edited by HolyStroke3; 03-26-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »