Home

MLB The Show 21 Franchise Mode - 5 Most Important Additions and What's Still Missing

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Franchise Mode - 5 Most Important Additions and What's Still Missing within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2021, 09:05 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: MLB The Show 21 Franchise Mode - 5 Most Important Additions and What's Still Miss

What about adding something simple? League history more than 3 years. Even Madden and SuperMega baseball has that.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #18
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: MLB The Show 21 Franchise Mode - 5 Most Important Additions and What's Still Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think anyone expects the game to be OOTP with gameplay on the field. All of us OOTP people know what isn't ever going to happen. That said, asking for expanded rosters, rotating interleague schedules, and international free agency isn't asking for the game to be OOTP. That's asking for some basic things that should be in a baseball game in 2021.

OOTP is a whole different animal because it is a baseball sandbox with near limitless customization. We will never get that in The Show. We should, however, have the three things I mentioned already along with other basic things like eating a players salary in a trade/cash considerations in trades. We should have an enhanced scouting system. That's been one of the most commonly requested changes for years now.

I don't see how asking for any of that is asking for the impossible. We won't ever get every single year of MLB history with named rosters that are playable and a franchise mode that can start at any of those years. We know that will remain special to OOTP. We won't get the 100s of options that let us customize everything we can imagine. We know that. We should have the other features that I've mentioned and have been asked for for years now.

If anyone says that asking for rotating interleague schedules, international free agents, expanded rosters, a better scouting system, and the ability to trade cash or eat a salary in a trade is asking for way too much, then I'll be at a loss for words. Those are features that should be in a game like The Show. Those are not hardcore features that only belong in OOTP.

Heck, even asking for the ability to play someone out of position and them to learn said position over time is something that shouldn't be reserved for only OOTP. That's another common baseball thing that has a place in the more casual game like The Show.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but it seems peoole are at times too forgiving and just use the "this isn't OOTP" as a copout. Let's not forget that NBA 2k is just as casual of a game as The Show and its franchise equivalent is easily closer to being like OOTP than it is The Show or Madden, two games that are a bit notorious these days for having dumbed down franchise modes and it isn't something that scares away the casuals. It's the best selling sports game in America despite not even being the most popular sport.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Come on canes... I was replying to the guy who literally said he hoped it would be closer to OOTP. LOL. Almost why I hate even chiming in with posts like that because it’s unpopular and so someone has to always try to contradict it though it’s the truth, no one just wants to hear it.

I should’ve quoted it. If you look anywhere on these forums, you’ll see post after post saying to just be like OOTP. I simply gave the view from a game developer perspective of why that’s not possible for them.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Come on canes... I was replying to the guy who literally said he hoped it would be closer to OOTP. LOL. Almost why I hate even chiming in with posts like that because it’s unpopular and so someone has to always try to contradict it though it’s the truth, no one just wants to hear it.

I should’ve quoted it. If you look anywhere on these forums, you’ll see post after post saying to just be like OOTP. I simply gave the view from a game developer perspective of why that’s not possible for them.
And the guy you were replying to wasn't asking for anything crazy like I was saying in my post.

He mentioned historical draft classes, but said that wasn't a big wish. Probably the most outlandish wish, but he also said he knew that.

International free agents. Something that is commonplace in baseball and should be in the game. We don't need foreign leagues, just have a market that has the top foreign players. Some come over to the MLB, others stay and reappear in the future.

Rotating interleague schedules. You yourself have said that this should have been in already and it is embarrassing that a company like SCEA hasn't fixed this yet.

Playable Single-A. Essentially expanded rosters. Common community request. Not a crazy request.

Then 3-team trades and he admitted this one would be a bit more difficult to get in, but even NBA 2k has this.

I don't see anything on this list that is too hardcore of a request for The Show. Practically all of those are very common community requests.

You can pretty much go anywhere outside of OS, go to Reddit, a very DD leaning crowd, Twitter, other forums, and these are all the same requests you will see annually, so it isn't OS just being OS and asking for very niche things to be added.

If people were coming on here and asking for every single year to be playable in franchise mode, or for sliders to change how players are valued _ how pitchers progress and regress versus hitters, and how inflation will be in the future, and all of those kinds of features, then I'd understand where people are coming from that always say "This isn't OOTP'. Those aren't the features people point out when they reference OOTP, though. It's always the same things this guy already mentioned which should already be in the game and are not things that are only for the niche crowd.

― Plato
Old 04-03-2021, 10:47 PM   #20
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0

I wish they would have spent the time they spent on fixing check swings to put some of the basic stuff in the game.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5
Excellent video Brian, nicely breaking down the new fixes and features.* Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2021, 01:16 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21

I think the only way the Show could be as deep as ootp is if the Show had a separate PC edition, untied to the console version. there's a reason we can't play ootp on consoles. I know I can't play it on PlayStation and I'm assuming xbox as well also too

A Work in Progress
Old 04-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #23
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I think the only way the Show could be as deep as ootp is if the Show had a separate PC edition, untied to the console version. there's a reason we can't play ootp on consoles. I know I can't play it on PlayStation and I'm assuming xbox as well also too
Last gen maybe but there is no reason ootp cant run on next gen consoles. PCs with much worse hardware can run it.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #24
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

1. Playable Single A

2. Playable Single A

3. Playable Single A

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »