Home

Where is the gameplay

This is a discussion on Where is the gameplay within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 AM   #9
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Where is the gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Lots of potential new customers around this year on Xbox platforms. Probably didn’t know about the tech test and would like to see how this handles. Probably could’ve sold more than a few preorders with having some extended gameplay videos put out showcasing this game. Especially those of us who wonder how next gen was going to differ from last.
For better or worse, on the field The Show is one of the most consistent experiences in sports gaming. They don't have to sell their gameplay every year because The Show is a known quantity - people know what kind of game MLB The Show is. That's "bad" because there aren't huge gameplay changes year-to-year. That's "good" because someone can look up videos of recent games and get a very good idea of what to expect when they play.

I have faith that Xbox players know how to search YouTube.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:41 AM   #10
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
For better or worse, on the field The Show is one of the most consistent experiences in sports gaming. They don't have to sell their gameplay every year because The Show is a known quantity - people know what kind of game MLB The Show is. That's "bad" because there aren't huge gameplay changes year-to-year. That's "good" because someone can look up videos of recent games and get a very good idea of what to expect when they play.

I have faith that Xbox players know how to search YouTube.
I’ve been around long enough to remember when the devs used to play for us in streams or release game play with major (and sometimes minor) sites. Then, they’d read our feedback and interact with their loyal fanbase to fine-tune things. We’d sometimes get updates from one week to the next on things they fixed because we spotted from a stream or video of prerelease footage.

Or they would often see our comments and say, we also noticed that issue and have resolved it for the next build. Now we spend money to find these things out and what we transcribe from our experiences usually falls on deaf ears if it’s not about competitive balance issues with online DD.

I have 2 brand new consoles sitting beneath my tv at home. And I’ve literally not seen one full minute of how this game will conclusively look, play, feel, or differentiate from anything in the past. But they have no problem charging full price+$10 and releasing the game 3 weeks into the regular season, all while dropping features that have been around for a decade plus without nary a word.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I’ve been around long enough to remember when the devs used to play for us in streams or release game play with major (and sometimes minor) sites. Then, they’d read our feedback and interact with their loyal fanbase to fine-tune things. We’d sometimes get updates from one week to the next on things they fixed because we spotted from a stream or video of prerelease footage.

Or they would often see our comments and say, we also noticed that issue and have resolved it for the next build. Now we spend money to find these things out and what we transcribe from our experiences usually falls on deaf ears if it’s not about competitive balance issues with online DD.

I have 2 brand new consoles sitting beneath my tv at home. And I’ve literally not seen one full minute of how this game will conclusively look, play, feel, or differentiate from anything in the past. But they have no problem charging full price+$10 and releasing the game 3 weeks into the regular season, all while dropping features that have been around for a decade plus without nary a word.
This is absolutely spot on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
You can tell you were not in the beta if you think it is the same game. But surely you didn't mean it that way.
I was in the tech test.

He is not that far off. For my play style (auto field, manual throw, directional hitting, classic pitching).

Not much different.....at all.

All depends on your style of play.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyme3
If you were in the tech test, you got a good idea for how it will handle.

And if you weren't... I mean there's not a whole lot that a video is going to tell you, since a lot of the things I liked was how the game "felt" to play.

A gameplay video might be nice sounding, but honestly, I think a video would be pretty misleading this year.

I have a LOT of complaints about this dev cycle, given the lack of love shown to Franchise, loss of Y2Y saves, and continued focus on DD (sigh), but the lack of a gameplay video is pretty low on my list of wants/needs.
Agreed. The game will play like The Show always has.

Very good and true to the game of baseball.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Lots of potential new customers around this year on Xbox platforms. Probably didn’t know about the tech test and would like to see how this handles. Probably could’ve sold more than a few preorders with having some extended gameplay videos put out showcasing this game. Especially those of us who wonder how next gen was going to differ from last.

Instead we get puppets. And more questions than answers. Lots of speculation and little substance as to what to expect. And then they want to charge extra for a minimally different version and call it next gen without actually showing you hardly anything from the graphical improvements or what the bells and whistles are for justifying that extra money.

Just expected to pay full price and figure out what’s in the game when you get it. Won’t even be clear about how their next gen title looks from hype trailers. Because there was no tech test for the next gen version of the game. Just have to have blind faith if you’re preordering. Great business model.
Gameplay videos don't tell a person crap about how the game will actually look or feel in person and they never have. If a person needs to see recorded video of gameplay to determine a pre-order, than they shouldn't pre-order. It basically means you're as much on the fence as anything; just be patient and wait.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Gameplay videos don't tell a person crap about how the game will actually look or feel in person and they never have. If a person needs to see recorded video of gameplay to determine a pre-order, than they shouldn't pre-order. It basically means you're as much on the fence as anything; just be patient and wait.
Jesus Christ. I have already pre ordered the game. I played the tech test of a ps4 version. God forbid, if i would like to see some gameplay. I didnt know it was such an anomaly for a game to release gameplay of a game prior to release. And the be frank, i believe the post was ascertaining as to “where” the gameplay was. Not a poll of wether or not “you” wanted or needed to see gameplay.

Shame on me if miss the showcases where the devs were in the studio playing the game for hours and just pointing out all the little things.

Last edited by lemarflacco; 04-14-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #16
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarflacco
Jesus Christ. I have already pre ordered the game. I played the tech test of a ps4 version. God forbid, if i would like to see some gameplay. I didnt know it was such an anomaly for a game to release gameplay of a game prior to release. And the be frank, i believe the post was ascertaining as to “where” the gameplay was. Not a poll of wether or not “you” wanted or needed to see gameplay.

Shame on me if miss the showcases where the devs were in the studio playing the game for hours and just pointing out all the little things.
I hope my earlier comment about the tech test and that baseball will play like baseball didn't upset you. The latter part of that was really suppose to be tongue in cheek. We have to remember that when this game was being developed, we were knee deep into the Covid pandemic and I'm sure this game was being developed at their homes and not together in the same workspace. I know they have always done the dev tournaments but I'm going to go ahead and say Covid played a role in that not happening as well. This last year has just been weird all around. Does it suck that we haven't gotten as much as years past? Of course. But this also hasn't been your typical year. Just my two cents on the matter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »