Home

MLB The Show 21 - The Little Things

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 - The Little Things within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #33
Rookie

nemss316's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB The Show 21 - The Little Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbll5
This is my first time playing The Show and I just purchased it for Xbox One. I haven't played a modern baseball game since MLB 2k11 for the 360, so some of these may be well established for you regulars, but I found them to be great touches.

I'll post my impressions in the separate thread, but after one game played last night, here are the few little things that made me smile or just plain giddy:

- Reactions from the pitchers on close pitches. I had Adam Wainwright on the hill and he missed a great pitch on the corner at a key moment, and the (hybrid) cut scene showed him smirking a bit, staring back at the plate as he caught the ball and held it. Looked just like the real thing.

- There was a slow dribbler down the line and just foul, and Nolan Arenado, rather than fielding it in a standard animation or letting it roll past and continue foul, actually swatted the ball further foul. It literally made me laugh out loud and say "that was awesome!" to no one else in the room

- Great animations in hitting and fielding. Whether it's a sliding grab by an infielder, a foul ball where the batter falls to a knee, etc., there are all sorts of great transition animations that truly make you feel you're in the game and there's emotion and style to it.

- Goldschmidt made a play at the dugout to reach over and catch a foul ball. There was a player in the dugout standing at the top rail who bailed out and jumped down as he reached over.

- I never got to experience SOTS so this may seem bittersweet to you all, but the walk up music and transition music added some great immersion. Compared to other video game music, I think they hit a good balance that makes it realistic.

- Performing warm up pitches with my reliever while the stadium music played and you can hear the ambience around you. Great touch.

- Again, I'm a newbie to the modern generation of baseball games, but seeing the (mostly) correct equipment on players, their batting stances, etc was awesome. We're spoiled compared to the old days (yes, I'm old). I remember playing RBI baseball on the NES and the biggest difference between players was whether they were RH or LH.
If you are a Cards fan, after the game just stay on the score screen and listen to the PA state that Metro Link stations are open at Busch Stadium and 8th and Pine. Made my jaw drop when I heard it after it was added in 2016.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemss316
If you are a Cards fan, after the game just stay on the score screen and listen to the PA state that Metro Link stations are open at Busch Stadium and 8th and Pine. Made my jaw drop when I heard it after it was added in 2016.
Holy ****, are you serious?!

That's incredible.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #35
Rookie

nemss316's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Holy ****, are you serious?!

That's incredible.
Yup! I haven't checked this year's, but it's been there every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #36
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

They FINALLY got the WHAP sound right for balls hit off the Green Monster at Fenway!! When the ball hits off it, you cannot mistake the sound! I remember it being in The Show a year or two ago, but it was cut out in a patch and never returned.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #37
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
This is my first time playing The Show and I just purchased it for Xbox One. I haven't played a modern baseball game since MLB 2k11 for the 360, so some of these may be well established for you regulars, but I found them to be great touches.

I'll post my impressions in the separate thread, but after one game played last night, here are the few little things that made me smile or just plain giddy:

- Reactions from the pitchers on close pitches. I had Adam Wainwright on the hill and he missed a great pitch on the corner at a key moment, and the (hybrid) cut scene showed him smirking a bit, staring back at the plate as he caught the ball and held it. Looked just like the real thing.

- There was a slow dribbler down the line and just foul, and Nolan Arenado, rather than fielding it in a standard animation or letting it roll past and continue foul, actually swatted the ball further foul. It literally made me laugh out loud and say "that was awesome!" to no one else in the room

- Great animations in hitting and fielding. Whether it's a sliding grab by an infielder, a foul ball where the batter falls to a knee, etc., there are all sorts of great transition animations that truly make you feel you're in the game and there's emotion and style to it.

- Goldschmidt made a play at the dugout to reach over and catch a foul ball. There was a player in the dugout standing at the top rail who bailed out and jumped down as he reached over.

- I never got to experience SOTS so this may seem bittersweet to you all, but the walk up music and transition music added some great immersion. Compared to other video game music, I think they hit a good balance that makes it realistic.

- Performing warm up pitches with my reliever while the stadium music played and you can hear the ambience around you. Great touch.

- Again, I'm a newbie to the modern generation of baseball games, but seeing the (mostly) correct equipment on players, their batting stances, etc was awesome. We're spoiled compared to the old days (yes, I'm old). I remember playing RBI baseball on the NES and the biggest difference between players was whether they were RH or LH.
Man this is my exact same situation and impressions of the game. I actually was a die hard baseball fan growing up but literally stopped following it a long time ago I played MLB the show once on a Playstation 4 but didnt really get into it. I now have an series x and decided to download the game through game pass...I literally cant put it down and now am trying to get rosters , slders,stats etc together. The immersion is great and its the most realistic game I have played of any genre. MLB and XBOX did a great thing by getting this on gamepass and getting it in the hands of people who might not have thought about it prior. I have my brothers and friends now playing it and its branched out by word of mouth. This might be the new game model for other games as well .just get the game out in as many hands as possible and keep them there with great immersion...Excellent game!! great launch strategy..
Old 04-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #38
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemss316
The seagulls in San Fran is a nice touch.
There are birds in pretty much every stadium this year, but I like the addition.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #39
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

I think many of us veterans of The Show need to remember what we actually have. Everyone gets so caught up in what we don't and forget all of the truly amazing things that this game delivers on each and every year.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

XBox here. First MLB game in probably a decade or more. Super fascinated with simple small things that have probably been in the game for years.

1. Love the inclusion of classic parks. Sad there's no Tiger Stadium but happy the Metrodome made the cut (speaking as the Metrodome's only fan).

2. Watching helmets fall off while sliding into third base is the coolest. I come from a video game baseball era where hats and helmets were glued to noggins indefinitely.

3. On that note, cool to see the catcher take off his helmet on plays.

4. Apparently really fixated on head gear because I thought Ken Griffey Jr. rocking a backwards hat in the Home Run Derby was the neatest detail ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »