Home

MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it?

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #97
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it?

I personally love the check swing function as it works now. I am biased because I never was a guy to check swing often, so it doesn't have a huge impact on me.

For online play it's a huge positive change. It's too easy to foul pitches off anyways if you're fooled. At least they took away the ease of successful checks.

For you guys who didn't play online last year...check swings were absolutely ridiculous. I'd say guys had like 95%+ success rate checking their swing. Couple that with ease of fouling off pitches you would have guys sell out for fastballs and pull back swing if ball was out of zone. Then they would be early and either foul it off or get a great hit because early feedback was way too rewarding last year.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #98
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee
What else can I say but wow, this is impacting both myself and the AI but check swings are called for a strikes DRAMATICALLY more often this year to the point it’s a problem. Strikeouts on both sides are way up and walks are way down as compared to usual. Please tell me one of you slider gurus can control from this really bad programming bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I will take it a step further. If you go into replay and watch check swings, you will see the vast majority aren't even strikes.

I started getting annoyed. I knew there was no way I broke the plane. I watched replays and sure enough....I didn't.

I'm not talking about times when they look to the 1st base ump, im talking about normal check swings where a strike is called.

The little review on the bottom left shows the bat going way further than pausing the game and watching frame by frame.

It's broken. Watch the replay not the swing info box.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:42 PM   #99
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
I will take it a step further. If you go into replay and watch check swings, you will see the vast majority aren't even strikes.

I started getting annoyed. I knew there was no way I broke the plane. I watched replays and sure enough....I didn't.

I'm not talking about times when they look to the 1st base ump, im talking about normal check swings where a strike is called.

The little review on the bottom left shows the bat going way further than pausing the game and watching frame by frame.

It's broken. Watch the replay not the swing info box.
This 100%. I've obviously adapted an approach to just swing or not, but I personally hate it. Another company doing online balancing things with no thought of offline play it appears. At this point, let me just turn user check swings off. They never are balls and they cost me hits. Not a fan but I'm also a casual RTTS player who plays on All-Star. I'm sure other have had a better time with the change than me, but I personally think it's a terrible change.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #100
MVP

OVR: 0
MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it?

I think I’m coming to better understand my complaint: it’s that what I want to do isn’t really a check swing but more of a half-check, where the batter brings his elbows forward and hands downward but keeps the bat mostly stationary.

That form of check swing just simply isn’t there, or if it is I haven’t found the window for it yet. But I want it and never get it, it’s always a much more dramatic REALLY BAD check swings instead, which is why I said it just seems really harsh at times. Like almost rude.

Edit: Honestly though it’s probably just my timing, as I’m still not 100% clicking with hitting in general anyway.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 05-14-2021 at 09:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »