Home

Have walks in Franchise Mode in 21 remained on par with 20?

This is a discussion on Have walks in Franchise Mode in 21 remained on par with 20? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Have walks in Franchise Mode in 21 remained on par with 20?

I've played The Show since the start of the PS3 era. I played other MLB games for a long time before that. And despite making a concerted effort to work the count and get good pitches to hit for over twenty years, I was never, ever able to regularly draw walks in a baseball game, getting maybe two or three a WEEK on average......until The Show 20.

In the past, year after year, no matter what I did with sliders, once I got into a 3-ball count while batting, the CPU pitchers suddenly would either toss a meatball right down the pike, or else would become Greg Maddux, hitting the corners in the zone with pitch after pitch. And in that second case, all I could do was try to foul those off until I either hit a weak grounder, stuck out, or finally got a good pitch to hit. But they almost never would throw that fourth ball.

But in 20, that all suddenly changed, and now I draw 3-5 walks a game. Sometimes even ten or more. Sometimes none. But that's what makes it fun and a challenge. And I have a lineup full of guys with a 10-15% walk rate, and an OBP 50-100 points above their batting average. Its wonderful.

So, has that carried over to the new game? I'm really hoping that it has.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Have walks in Franchise Mode in 21 remained on par with 20?

I'm playing 21 on HOF and am not having issues drawing walks. If I had a little more patience I'd draw even more walks but I like to swing.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklecutter
I'm playing 21 on HOF and am not having issues drawing walks. If I had a little more patience I'd draw even more walks but I like to swing.
Absolutely. The CPU WILL walk you. I can't tell you how many times I've swung at ball four off the plate.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
Rookie

I can't draw walk to save my life. I am playing franchise in 14 games I have 6 total walks. It got the point after 4 or 5 games with no walks I started standing there and not swinging until I get a strike. If the count goes 2-0 then I don't swing until I get 2 strikes. Even doing that I still can't walk. Yesterday I had game where against Braves where Charlie Morton in the 7th inning had thrown 81 pitches--7 balls and 74 strikes. Not even one 3 ball count. According to the feedback box, the pitches that I swung at would have been strikes except for couple. So it's not like i was swinging at balls out of the zone. I was still winning the game 4-0 because I had 3 long balls on 7 hits. Hitting the ball even with 2 strike is not issue. I have messed with sliders-lowering cpu control and strike consistency down to 1 or 2. Nada. Am I doing something wrong? what slider setup do you guys use to get more walks? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ees110
I can't draw walk to save my life. I am playing franchise in 14 games I have 6 total walks. It got the point after 4 or 5 games with no walks I started standing there and not swinging until I get a strike. If the count goes 2-0 then I don't swing until I get 2 strikes. Even doing that I still can't walk. Yesterday I had game where against Braves where Charlie Morton in the 7th inning had thrown 81 pitches--7 balls and 74 strikes. Not even one 3 ball count. According to the feedback box, the pitches that I swung at would have been strikes except for couple. So it's not like i was swinging at balls out of the zone. I was still winning the game 4-0 because I had 3 long balls on 7 hits. Hitting the ball even with 2 strike is not issue. I have messed with sliders-lowering cpu control and strike consistency down to 1 or 2. Nada. Am I doing something wrong? what slider setup do you guys use to get more walks? Any help would be appreciated.
I play on Veteran+ for both hitting and pitching.

I have all CPU pitching sliders at one notch below the default mid point (4).

I have the pitch speeds at one notch above the mid point (6) as that helps me time it the best.

And I use the personalized umpire strike zones, as that seems to lead to more early balls being called. It also sometimes leads to borderline ones being called for ball 4 to get the walk. The flip side is that it also leads to some unfair strike calls, but I'll take that to get the walks.

I also use the old school hitting interface for batting, and only swing using the X button. This leads to a lot more check swings, which allows me to lay off pitches outside of the zone a lot more, which of course leads to more balls being called.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »