Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
Rookie
 
Crimsoncomet's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2021
New Sounds Of The Show

Losing SOTS was certainly extremely disappointing. But enough has been said on that topic, so I am not going to harp on it anymore here.

Instead I wanted to mention that I think SDS did a great job of implementing music (their own soundtrack) into the game. I specifically like the songs that come on at the end of an inning (as the game would be heading to commercial)
They did a great job of audio for the end of inning song as it comes on quite loudly.

What I am wondering is, how hard do you guys think it would be for SDS to continue to add songs into the game as the months go on. I am not sick of them yet, but my concern is over time we might get annoyed hearing the same ones over and over. It would be a really cool addition if they were able to continue to patch in new songs throughout the year.
Crimsoncomet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2021, 03:24 AM   #2
Rookie
 
ExarKub00720's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2021
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncomet
Losing SOTS was certainly extremely disappointing. But enough has been said on that topic, so I am not going to harp on it anymore here.

Instead I wanted to mention that I think SDS did a great job of implementing music (their own soundtrack) into the game. I specifically like the songs that come on at the end of an inning (as the game would be heading to commercial)
They did a great job of audio for the end of inning song as it comes on quite loudly.

What I am wondering is, how hard do you guys think it would be for SDS to continue to add songs into the game as the months go on. I am not sick of them yet, but my concern is over time we might get annoyed hearing the same ones over and over. It would be a really cool addition if they were able to continue to patch in new songs throughout the year.
I love the idea but I donít see it happening. Itís all about licensing. The only way I see it working is if they did all their licenses for like 2 months and then spent that 2 months working to get new licenses so they could use new music.

I have had to deal with a radio station and music licenses before and I never really heard of just a 2 month deal really. Granted they got far deeper pockets to try and make that work. Usually they are for a year though and if they had to keep paying for yearly licenses to just keep adding more I see it adding up.

So I am all for it, but just licenseing costs I fear would be far too much for them to see it as viable. Especially if we want them working on more content. Splitting focus on that even if not as hard still means some work didnít go into improving or adding new stuff and I would rather see stuff fixed or added before worrying about the t.
ExarKub00720 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
MVP
 
TheWarmWind's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: A place with some stuff
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Honestly now that sounds of the show is gone (at least on some consoles) I think SDS shouldn't bring it back to the way it was. Putting in digital music into the game is a great concept for my generation who downloaded most of their music, but for younger generation the concept of owning digital media is archaic and alien.

SOTS needs to be rebuilt for Spotify integration. Personally I want both, I own thousands of digitally downloaded songs, including some stuff that isn't licensed on Spotify, but if there can only be one, I choose Spotify integration. It makes way too much sense.

Staying a little more on topic though, I've always been floored at how good the generic music they put in the game is. I still use it even with over 200 songs put in SOTS in 20, and they seem to improve it every year. Hopefully the licensed soundtrack is better in 21 though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
TheWarmWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Rookie
 
Crimsoncomet's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2021
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

I was also worried that licensing would be the issue in this happening. You made some great points!



Thewarmwind- This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking too. I don't know the logistics behind it or how it would work, but it absolutely makes the most sense to go away from old style of SOTS and go forward using Spotify.
Crimsoncomet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
MVP
 
TheWarmWind's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: A place with some stuff
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncomet
I was also worried that licensing would be the issue in this happening. You made some great points!



Thewarmwind- This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking too. I don't know the logistics behind it or how it would work, but it absolutely makes the most sense to go away from old style of SOTS and go forward using Spotify.
It'd be no different than the old SOTS in terms of implementation. The only technical difference is that it would require an internet connection to work.

In terms of song licensing, it's no different than old SOTS too. It's up to the end user to have the proper licensing, which is actually easier to confirm with Spotify integration.

The only potential issue is striking a deal with Spotify themselves. I see no reason why Spotify would resist or even ask for anything though. It's another avenue through which they can drive up subscriptions. They'd be stupid to say no.

Really the only roadblock I see is the coding, which I have no earthly idea how difficult that may be.

Forza Horizon 3 had groove music integration (Microsoft's ill-fated Spotify competitor) and it was fantastic. Full in-engine support, including reverb effects, etc.

I would assume you would need a paid subscription to Spotify in order to use it, but other than that it seems the only roadblock is the coding.
TheWarmWind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Rookie
 
ExarKub00720's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2021
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
It'd be no different than the old SOTS in terms of implementation. The only technical difference is that it would require an internet connection to work.

In terms of song licensing, it's no different than old SOTS too. It's up to the end user to have the proper licensing, which is actually easier to confirm with Spotify integration.

The only potential issue is striking a deal with Spotify themselves. I see no reason why Spotify would resist or even ask for anything though. It's another avenue through which they can drive up subscriptions. They'd be stupid to say no.

Really the only roadblock I see is the coding, which I have no earthly idea how difficult that may be.

Forza Horizon 3 had groove music integration (Microsoft's ill-fated Spotify competitor) and it was fantastic. Full in-engine support, including reverb effects, etc.

I would assume you would need a paid subscription to Spotify in order to use it, but other than that it seems the only roadblock is the coding.
This I see as the best option. I mean at least on ps5 you can already play music while playing. I havenít tried my series x with the game to remember if you can there too but there is already some Spotify there. Now just finding a way to let you use it at certain moments.

The only caveat I see is as you mentioned it is streaming, which could mean as it tries to access the song to bring up at s certain moment there could be delays. Now in theory that can be bypassed cause even Spotify has an offline mode where you can download a song to use with no internet. I would assume something similar could be down where the Spotify app could store the song for you offline to access on the fly to prevent and lag. Just conjecture there, but interesting all the same.

The one area that might be hard is sounds for stadium. So you can have walk up songs and you can have music just playing etc, but thatís all licensed songs Spotify has. I would love to see a chance for strike out sfx and other stadium sounds I could customize too that I donít really know how would work.

Still, I would be game for anything to get back at least the walk up and home run songs I love to hear. Even if I have to loose a few things.
ExarKub00720 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
MVP
 
jeffy777's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jan 2009
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Spotify integration would be fantastic. As it stands now, I usually turn down the commentary and throw on one of my Spotify playlists with the official Playstation UI integration, but having it as part of SOTS would be so much better.
jeffy777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
Rookie
 
HBKSean216's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2019
Re: New Sounds Of The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Honestly now that sounds of the show is gone (at least on some consoles) I think SDS shouldn't bring it back to the way it was. Putting in digital music into the game is a great concept for my generation who downloaded most of their music, but for younger generation the concept of owning digital media is archaic and alien.

SOTS needs to be rebuilt for Spotify integration. Personally I want both, I own thousands of digitally downloaded songs, including some stuff that isn't licensed on Spotify, but if there can only be one, I choose Spotify integration. It makes way too much sense.

Staying a little more on topic though, I've always been floored at how good the generic music they put in the game is. I still use it even with over 200 songs put in SOTS in 20, and they seem to improve it every year. Hopefully the licensed soundtrack is better in 21 though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app

I don't care what the younger generation knows and likes.... The average age of a video game player is in the 30s.....
HBKSean216 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Top -