Home

My franchise role players outperforming stars

This is a discussion on My franchise role players outperforming stars within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #1
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

So in my franchise with the tribe playing on veteran, my stars like Ramirez, Franmiel and Rosario can't do anything but hit deep outs. No homers for any of them in 12 games yet all my average players a slugging it like gang busters. Josh Naylor, Jordan luplow and even Jake Bauer's are on fire. 5 homers for Naylor and luplow each. Bauers has 3.

The issue is that consistently with my stars I work the count and when I got a pitch perfectly it dies on the warning track over and over. I even considered upping their power attributes but when I checked them they are already through the roof. So, how are guys with 40-60 power outslugging guys with 97 power consistently?

thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0

For starters 12 games isn’t “consistently;” a guy with 8 HR in April can finish with 12 and a guy with 2 HR in April can finish with 44. Secondly a lot guys have trouble with this and it’s usually because you’re pressing with your stars and relaxing with the other guys. Relax with everyone.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: My franchise role players outperforming stars

all of my role players are outperforming my superstars. wait, I'm the O's, we don't currently have any superstars lol

A Work in Progress
Old 05-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
For starters 12 games isn’t “consistently;” a guy with 8 HR in April can finish with 12 and a guy with 2 HR in April can finish with 44. Secondly a lot guys have trouble with this and it’s usually because you’re pressing with your stars and relaxing with the other guys. Relax with everyone.
This could be part of it. I do feel pressure cause I try to get outcomes similar to real life and Reyes and Ramirez have been hitting a decent amount of home runs. I want that to be reflected in the game.

Still, there are times where I just crush a pitch and when it leaves the bat it seems like a moonshot only to die near the warning track. And its always with my studs. My role players are crushing no doubters all the time.

Oh well. I'll update this when I get about a dozen more games in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

This is one of the reasons why I feel fictional franchises are such a good idea. It allows the player to not get hung up on real life vs the game.

I was recently talking about how if I were ever to start a new franchise, it would be fictional with one of my friends who is also a Blue Jays fan. He was shocked. He thought it was crazy that I wouldn't want to play as the modern team.

I told him it's very tempting, but in my current carry over from 2014, Mike Trout is regressing like crazy while Bryce Harper maintains a 99 rating. He immediately got what my issue was.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
This is one of the reasons why I feel fictional franchises are such a good idea. It allows the player to not get hung up on real life vs the game.

I was recently talking about how if I were ever to start a new franchise, it would be fictional with one of my friends who is also a Blue Jays fan. He was shocked. He thought it was crazy that I wouldn't want to play as the modern team.

I told him it's very tempting, but in my current carry over from 2014, Mike Trout is regressing like crazy while Bryce Harper maintains a 99 rating. He immediately got what my issue was.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Without a doubt. This is why I sim 7-8 years into the future then play. There is no comparison to be made to real life. I am one not to care about all real players or matching transactions or anything of the sort. Give me my own created universe to dive into.

People are confused why I do this and tell me to go play OOTP but it is so much more rewarding than being concerned that my good real life hitters are struggling. I started a new franchise, simmed and built up to 2031, so I get the real schedule, in a half real half fake league. Now I am playing it. It's just amazing to do. If people tried it, they would love it.

I will not play the current real life season with any team in any sports game. Give me my own universe every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Pitchers really try to nibble when it comes to star players in this game (20 at least...I don't have 21).

I'd agree with the above posters re: sample sizes, pressing, etc.

My edited Vlad Jr. has the best offensive ratings on my franchise. When I'm hitting with him, and there's nobody on, pitchers are throwing all kinds of junk, trying to get me to inevitably swing at a pitch that is going to end up with less than ideal contact, or for them to just walk him. It's pretty unusual to see him get something middle-middle, and I definitely struggle to mash with him.

If I can get someone on base in front of him though, pitchers seem to be far more agressive attacking the zone, and have more of a tendancy to hang one, resulting in his power numbers coming through.

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not yet, but batting stance sometimes has a lot to do with it as well. For instance, I've used Naylor in the past (And Shed Long in Seattle), and now have Willie Calhoun in my lineup. None are rated super great, but I just find that they have all have stances that help me to see the ball/make perfect contact with. Others, like Bo Bichette for instance, are guys that I'll typically struggle with. Guy his contact ratings in the 80's, but I'm hitting .220 with him in mid-August.

Back to the sample size thing...the temperature also affects power numbers. I get that you've got a couple of guys mashing early, but with someone like Ramirez, if he's coming up just a bit short right now, he'll probably be mashing through the heat of the summer.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
MVP

icicle22's Arena

I'm almost 30 games into the season and Naylor and Luplow are leading my team with 8 homers each. I actually crushed 3 in one game with Naylor. All on contact swings, most were first pitch low strikes or maybe even hittable low balls.

I am an impatient hitter for sure. I have 4 homers for Franmiel and 2 for Jose. All of their homers have been "barely" over the wall homers with outfielders leaping to try to catch it.

My homers by the "lower" tiered players have been primarily no doubters.....crushed way up in the bleachers or bouncing off the face of the upper deck.

It's just weird.

I'm thinking kinsmen7 is right in stating that pitchers are throwing better / less hittable pitches to my stars.

Also, some of my players are on base when some of my lesser players are at bat and they often follow one of my stars. We shall see. I'd just like to make good contact and really crush em with the guys who are....you know....supposed to crush em!

Last edited by icicle22; 05-10-2021 at 11:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »