Home

The commentary in this game horrific

This is a discussion on The commentary in this game horrific within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The commentary in this game horrific

162 games a season w/commentary on = horrible

commentary on only 1 game a week (Saturday games are my day of choice) , less than 30 games a season = tolerable

I can hear everything I need to w/commentary on just one game a week

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #26
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I turn all the commentary and music off and listen to Spotify most times while playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

commentary on only 1 game a week (Saturday games are my day of choice) , less than 30 games a season = tolerable

Ageed with both of you fellas.

I really do like the franchise specific stuff, about recent games, streaks, etc., but it's the repetitive color lines that can make a man question his sanity. I really do miss the option to mute everything except PBP.

Any commentary gets stale, but I always liked how NBA 2K rotates commentators. It at least gives a semblance of freshness and helps break up the monotony. I do have to be careful what I suggest in regards to commentary because once upon a time I also said it would be neat to have a sideline reporter and we all know how that turned out.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #27
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Racing
I am starting to wonder if Matty V has some sort of investment $$$$ in MLBTS and made a deal with Sony.

We've been asking for a new commentary for years going way back as far as I can remember even after Matty V was calling the game after three years or so. But no dice, It's not going to happen according to Rammone.

They should just call the game: "Matt Vasgersian's MLB Baseball" and put it to rest!...lol
Strangely, in the Angels-Astros game last night, Ohtani was throwing some sliders that the center field camera show a great shot of, and Matt called one against Altuve "video game stuff." He had a perfect opportunity to say: "That's something you'd see in MLB The Show!" Too bad he didn't use it haha.

Anyway, I am glad that there was a time they definitely started addressing strange commentary woes, such as criticizing the user (which I don't like hearing that it may be making a comeback) and them always starting sentences using the word "And..." but there is still a long way from that next level. I say it all the time, but they should make lines shorter overall, have more threads that dialogue can branch off of (to make other statements), and no commentary should be specific for any one individual unless it can be made for anybody else in that exact same situation.

It's also probably a false hope to expect franchise-like commentary to improve down the line, like if a player gets traded or called up and it's mentioned for the first couple weeks that their status has changed, etc. Those would be dreamlike to hear!

I haven't played this year's game to know where the commentary has digressed, but I will always have commentary on for any game that I play since I appreciate as much of the broadcast experience that I can get.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #28
Rookie

Chad211's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield

Yup you hit the nail right on the head on this one.
Just the truth right here!!! Baseball is a long season and for SDS to not realize that is just flat out dumb. There should be enough commentary in the game to keep the players from getting sick of it no matter if your playing one game or in franchise mode like I do. We are now playing MLB The Show 21 and all of us will have to be on next gen consoles in the next year or so.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #29
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

When it comes to commentary sometimes less is more.

We need more stats driven commentary and less rambling/repetitive story driven commentary.

At least that’s what I would prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKSean216
It might sound like a nit picky thing but it's not really... we have to listen to them every single game. Turning it off makes it sound even more weird.

You hear the same sound bytes every game. Like literally every game it's the same. Often you'll hear the same line twice in a game. There's just no variety at all. It's one of the worst for a sports game that I can remember. The robot delivery is unbearable.. "next up... JD Martinez" There's also no unique conversations. NBA2K does a great job with this.

Oh and DeRosa sounds like the biggest dbag every time he talks.
Yep. For like the last 7 or 8 years I mostly play with the sound off and it really sucks. It’s a big part of the game and it should be enjoyable. Even Madden figured it out. I wish they would just hire the team from MLB 2K and buy the rights to the commentary from the last couple of years of that game and figure out a way to put it all together.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
When it comes to commentary sometimes less is more.

We need more stats driven commentary and less rambling/repetitive story driven commentary.

At least that’s what I would prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I think commentary needs to be less but very non specific and not mention anything really before you start a franchise, don't care if David Price won the Cy Young in 2012, and repeat that every year in franchise. More just repeating the stats, records, and stuff that can happen every year within a franchise is good, but it needs to be correct.. Nba2k14 did it very well for franchise, they would mention if you played the next year, as defending champions, about playoff match ups from last year, or who won the series vs a team. Then as stats roll in on the new year they would transition last years stats out for the new year. Just simple things like that, which can be repetitive but at least they are specific to your franchise, that's all I ask.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #32
Rookie

Chad211's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy13
Yep. For like the last 7 or 8 years I mostly play with the sound off and it really sucks. It’s a big part of the game and it should be enjoyable. Even Madden figured it out. I wish they would just hire the team from MLB 2K and buy the rights to the commentary from the last couple of years of that game and figure out a way to put it all together.
It’s strange though because since the game has released this year I have not been able to get onto SDS community forums at all. Don’t know why that is and if anybody here dose and could tell me why that is would be great. All said players should never feel like they have to turn off the commentary because it’s stale or repetitive whatever players want to call it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »