Home

Compare And Contrast: Things MLB 2K13 still does better

This is a discussion on Compare And Contrast: Things MLB 2K13 still does better within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2021, 03:53 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Compare And Contrast: Things MLB 2K13 still does better

Most will claim that the game sucks, some will say they don't care about these things, but as someone who still played 2K13 up to the release of The Show on Xbox, these are things I'd like to see that's missing in The Show.

- Variable fielding meter: MLB2K greatly altered the throw meter based on whether you were doing running throws or decided to plant your feet.

- User fielding slider: 2K allowed you to increase the difficulty of the fielding meter if you found it too easy

- User controlled bunts: Bunts were not automatic in 2K. The game offered full analog control of bunt placement

- Presentation: Most already know the presentation and commentary was better. It's pretty much what most people remember about 2K

- Batter contact/power ratings: Batter ratings were part of the presentation, and would be displayed without need to have stoppage/pausing in the game. Also, they updated by pitch as it used Inside Edge statistics for count scenarios. Your batter may be a 60 contact on an 0-0, but better contact on a 2-1 .etc.

- Sliders: 2K was generous in how you wanted to alter the game with its game play and franchise sliders. Anyone who plays NBA2K today knows how deep they allowed you to tinker.

- Replay saves: Yes, the current consoles allow you to share on the fly, but 2K allowed you to save direct replays from the replay itself (NBA2K still does). You could compile and save files, as well as name them, and play them directly from in game.

- Effort control with pinpoint pitching: I love how the mechanic works in The Show. They did a great job. However, you can't control the amount of effort you put on pitches. Also, 2K displayed a graphic after the pitch showing you how much your pitch break was on the fly.

- Pitcher confidence: I know The Show has pitcher confidence in the game, but honestly...at least with pinpoint pitching, I have no idea what it affects. At least in 2K, if your confidence was low, the pitching curser would wig out making it harder to pinpoint your pitches.

- Batting View: This is my personal feeling, but I think 2K's batter view was perfect, and no batting view on The Show comes close. I was able to reproduce it with custom, but you can't use custom views online (which 2K did allow).

- Individual settings/sliders per mode: The Show allows you to create presets, and this isn't a big deal really, just annoying. In 2K, if you adjust settings in a mode, they will remain those settings no matter what you change outside of it. I like to play different settings in RTTS, and when I load back in after playing with settings for online, it'll be set to the online settings. In 2K, the settings are separated based on the mode itself, so there's never the remembering to change them. Not a huge deal, just annoying.

- Shift changes: Shift changes were also part of the presentation. A graphic would pop up informing you of shift changes and what they were without need to stop/pause the game.

Last edited by cvantu; 05-01-2021 at 04:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Things MLB2K13 still does better

Shouldn't this be in the 2K section? Or Other Baseball games?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa

I don’t think so. It’s a compare and contrast. I would title it something a little less direct, but I think the message is overall helpful and very well thought out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
What good would the post be in a 2K section when people who played the series already know about these features? Personally, I believe The Show's overall game play would benefit heavily with some of those additions (many that wouldn't take much to implement). The development team has borrowed a lot from 2K, and there's more they could take from, as listed. They were things I noticed, and it might come of benefit for ideas of future inclusions.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Rookie

Circle the Wagons's Arena

I always thought 2k nailed the ballpark ambience better. The presentation was top-notch too.

But as far as the sliders and gameplay mechanics, the game played too bad for them to matter in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
I don’t think so. It’s a compare and contrast. I would title it something a little less direct, but I think the message is overall helpful and very well thought out.

Thanks. The forum doesn't allow me to edit the title, it was just the first thing that popped in my head. I'm probably still living the world where there was still competition in the sport's market, and titles like that were far more common and acceptable.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle the Wagons
I always thought 2k nailed the ballpark ambience better. The presentation was top-notch too.

But as far as the sliders and gameplay mechanics, the game played too bad for them to matter in my opinion.
The batting and hitting mechanics since 2K10 were actually quite good. The fielding was always the sore spot that grabbed the most negative attention (as well as the graphics). However, additions like pitcher confidence resulting in tougher placement of the pitching curser is an addition that is irrelevant to how people feel the overall game played. It would work quite well in The Show (can anyone tell me what it affects with pinpoint pitching in 21?).

I will say, with people complaining about bat sounds in 21, I can't go back to 2K13 with the bat sounds in that game lol.

Last edited by cvantu; 05-01-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #8
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantu
Thanks. The forum doesn't allow me to edit the title, it was just the first thing that popped in my head. I'm probably still living the world where there was still competition in the sport's market, and titles like that were far more common and acceptable.

I think it’s perfectly fine FWIW. I just, well, you know the world we live in right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »