Home

Old 06-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: OPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
You are correct on the 2nd one in that itís usefulness is derived from the scale when compared to other players.

Like you mentioned, it is combining two opposing forms of calculations so when added together it cannot represent a single entity.

As others have said, it basically represents a ďcatch allĒ statistic that shows the best all around hitters so in theory, the higher the number when compared to others in the league, the better the number. Some years the leaders are in the 900s, some years in the 1,000s (1.000s to be exact).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
This is the answer that I was looking for. I figured that this must be the case but wanted confirmation from people who know more about the sport than me and I couldn't find clear confirmation elsewhere online.

Thanks to others who tried to answer my question and apologies if I did not make myself clear enough!
Old 06-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

Re: OPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
This is the answer that I was looking for. I figured that this must be the case but wanted confirmation from people who know more about the sport than me and I couldn't find clear confirmation elsewhere online.

Thanks to others who tried to answer my question and apologies if I did not make myself clear enough!
Yeah as stated just a guideline is all. It isnít going to outright tell you what the odds of a player doing well but it gives you a rough idea of how well they might do. Often the best players are .800 or better.

This also means in some ways that the higher the number the odds of the hitter getting on base often but also getting on base with xbh too. That lets you know it isnít just gonna be lots of singles and walks but also some doubles triples and maybe even homerís.

So it boils down a high OPS often means a player can get on base often, and usually do it with XBH as well.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: OBPS

Actually, slugging percentage IS a percent. It is the percent of bases a player gets per at bat.

OBPS basically is a way to measure how good/valuable a hitter is. It is a better indication of value than batting average, and even on base percentage, and here is why.

lets use 3 fictional players as an example.

Player 1
200 Plate Appearances.
57 hits
2 HR
8 doubles
10 walks.

Player 2
200 PA
47 hits
8 HR
8 doubles
20 walks

Player 3
200 PA
45 hits
12 HR
10 doubles
20 walks

Which player is more valuable? Lets look at the numbers.

Player 1
AVG=.300
OBP=.335
SLG=.426

Player 2
AVG=.261
OBP=.335
SLG=.527

Player 3
AVG=.250
OBP=.325
SLG=.627

At first glance using the standard numbers, you would probably lean towards player 1, who has the highest average, and is tied for the highest OBP. But, he doesn't hit for power. When he gets on base, he almost always only gets ONE base.

Looking a bit deeper.
Player 1
OBPS=.761

Player 2
OBPS=.862

Player 3
OBPS=.952

Using OBPS, it clearly shows that Player 3 is actually more valuable, because, even though he has a lower average, and a slightly lower on base percentage, when he does get on base, gets multiple bases quite often.

What OBPS measures, is not only the frequency a player gets on base, but also the frequency a player gets MULTIPLE bases per at bat. It combines the two into one number, that gives a better representation of a hitter's overall value.

Last edited by ktd1976; 06-15-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
Pro

To answer your question, it is an arbitrary number. Its not giving you odds of a specific occurrence happening as much as it is like a rating.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
Actually, slugging percentage IS a percent. It is the percent of bases a player gets per at bat.

OBPS basically is a way to measure how good/valuable a hitter is. It is a better indication of value than batting average, and even on base percentage, and here is why.

lets use 3 fictional players as an example.

Player 1
200 Plate Appearances.
57 hits
2 HR
8 doubles
10 walks.

Player 2
200 PA
47 hits
8 HR
8 doubles
20 walks

Player 3
200 PA
45 hits
12 HR
10 doubles
20 walks

Which player is more valuable? Lets look at the numbers.

Player 1
AVG=.300
OBP=.335
SLG=.426

Player 2
AVG=.261
OBP=.335
SLG=.527

Player 3
AVG=.250
OBP=.325
SLG=.627

At first glance using the standard numbers, you would probably lean towards player 1, who has the highest average, and is tied for the highest OBP. But, he doesn't hit for power. When he gets on base, he almost always only gets ONE base.

Looking a bit deeper.
Player 1
OBPS=.761

Player 2
OBPS=.862

Player 3
OBPS=.952

Using OBPS, it clearly shows that Player 3 is actually more valuable, because, even though he has a lower average, and a slightly lower on base percentage, when he does get on base, gets multiple bases quite often.

What OBPS measures, is not only the frequency a player gets on base, but also the frequency a player gets MULTIPLE bases per at bat. It combines the two into one number, that gives a better representation of a hitter's overall value.
Slugging isnít a percentage though, itís a weighted average. It does measure the chance someone might hit for XBH but the math to get the slugging is not how you get percentages but instead weighted averages.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:55 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKub00720
Slugging isnít a percentage though, itís a weighted average. It does measure the chance someone might hit for XBH but the math to get the slugging is not how you get percentages but instead weighted averages.
No, it is not. It literally measures the number of bases, in a percentage, that a player gets per at bat. It removes walks, hit by pitches, etc. It only goes by the at bats in which a player gets a hit, or makes an out.

The formula for slugging percentage is literally total bases from hits divided by at bats. (1B+2B*2 + 3B*3 + HR*4)/AB

It is a literal percentage of bases per at bat.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:26 AM   #15
Rookie

It might also be helpful to think of OPS as a way to differentiate the "complete hitter" from hitters who skew to one or the other extreme.

Tony Gwynn might be one extreme.

Adam Dunn might be the other.

Originally, OBP was a good measure for the traditional leadoff hitter (assuming speed, of course), SP for the traditional cleanup hitter.

OPS is a stat to see who can do both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2021, 03:48 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
No, it is not. It literally measures the number of bases, in a percentage, that a player gets per at bat. It removes walks, hit by pitches, etc. It only goes by the at bats in which a player gets a hit, or makes an out.

The formula for slugging percentage is literally total bases from hits divided by at bats. (1B+2B*2 + 3B*3 + HR*4)/AB

It is a literal percentage of bases per at bat.
I'm not exactly sure what a weighted average but it occurred to me that slugging can, at the very least, be considered X percentage. .500 would mean you'd take 50% of a base each at bat, for example.

Slugging can be above 1.000 though, correct? You can't really take 120% of a base per at bat, but you can take 1.2 bases.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »