Home

Old 06-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #65
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: OBPS

I have not tried to claim how one guy gets his total bases vs how another guy gets his total bases is weighted i have only ever claimed the type of formula used is called a weighted formula. How someone gets th7e bases doesn't matter in the scheme of how you use ane calculate this formula, only that the type of formula used is an example if a weighted formula.

Obviously once you so the math ane findthe total bases all significance of a hit being a single vs a double vs a triple vs a home run is lost. Knowing the type of hit only mattered when using to solve the formula as otherwise you can not solve it.

if tou were told someone has 40 hits and no knowledge of the type of hits yo could not solve what their total bases is. After you find total bases though none of it matters and it all comes out the the same answer regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKub00720
I have not tried to claim how one guy gets his total bases vs how another guy gets his total bases is weighted i have only ever claimed the type of formula used is called a weighted formula. How someone gets th7e bases doesn't matter in the scheme of how you use ane calculate this formula, only that the type of formula used is an example if a weighted formula.

Obviously once you so the math ane findthe total bases all significance of a hit being a single vs a double vs a triple vs a home run is lost. Knowing the type of hit only mattered when using to solve the formula as otherwise you can not solve it.

if tou were told someone has 40 hits and no knowledge of the type of hits yo could not solve what their total bases is. After you find total bases though none of it matters and it all comes out the the same answer regardless.
Which is precisely why, despite claims to the contrary, slugging percentage is NOT a weighted average.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #67
MVP

OMG MODS PLEASE DELETE I TAKE IT ALL BACK I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT OPS IS LETS ALL JUST PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED
Old 06-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #68
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktd1976
Which is precisely why, despite claims to the contrary, slugging percentage is NOT a weighted average.
OMG, calling the FORMULA weighted average you do realize has ZERO to do with how you use the average right? It's just the damn name of the fricking formula.

If you had a class with a friend and the grades were weighted and you both got 90 grades it didn't matter if one did better here or one did better there, cause in the end they both got the 90s. Just cause the formula to solve their grade is called a weighted average formula doesn't mean diddly once you solve for the grade.

The same is true for slugging. The formula for solving slugging percentage is an example of the weighted average formula. That's just what it is called though, if two guys both get .400 slugging it doesn't mean anything at all that one did it with mostly doubles and the other guy got mostly home runs as long as the math at the end of the day says they got .400 then that's all that matters, they are both producing .4 bases per at-bat.

I have never once tried to claim because the name of the mathematical formula that is used to solve for slugging is called a weighted average formula, that in turn, it means the answers you get to have more "weight" They don't, so stop being pedantic just trying to be difficult.

NO ONE IS SAYING ONE SLUGGING AVERAGE IS WORTH MORE THAN ANOTHER!
Old 06-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #69
Rookie

Feros Ferio 7's Arena

This is an amazing thread.

Also whoever says it's weighted is wrong. They try to cite sources but they are applying a term to weighing the bases which give you a non weighted counting number which is TB.

If yoh wanted a weighted slugging stat you would need to apply a weighted percentage to how valuable each type of hit is. Traditional slugging percentage does not do this.

Slugging percentage just takes TB/AB=%. The math alone says the percentage is not weighted.

You want a close approximation to weighted slugging (it doesn't exist) look at weighted OBA. https://library.fangraphs.com/offense/woba/

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #70
Rookie

1. Why don't you guys just ask an AP Stats teacher to chime in on this?

2. The thread reminds me of ones on guitar forums that argue about whether "Sweet Home Alabama" is in the key of G or D...

3. Semantics, in the end.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #71
Rookie

ExarKub00720's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKub00720
Slugging isn’t a percentage though, it’s a weighted average. It does measure the chance someone might hit for XBH but the math to get the slugging is not how you get percentages but instead weighted averages.
This was how it all started. I was referencing the name of the formula and saying the slugging, despite the name, isn’t a percentage. That began this misunderstanding that spiraled this all out.

It’s closer to a ratio of anything, how many times does x happen when you do y. Because the name the type of formula used to solve for slugging is a weighted average formula it was believed that it meant that slugging itself was weighted, it’s not.

Slugging can show a lot of things when you look at it compared to other numbers, but in the end the number you get is simply going to just mean that’s how many bases on average a player gets per at-bat.

So to sum it all up, how you get bases doesn’t matter at all, how you add them up used though an example of what is called a weighted average but again that just is the name of that math formula and doesn’t hold any real significance outside of that’s just what it’s called.

Last edited by ExarKub00720; 06-19-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #72
Rookie

You guys ever watch this video? It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »