Home

Gaming Monitor Question

This is a discussion on Gaming Monitor Question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Gaming Monitor Question

Is a Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz with 1ms refresh rate a massive upgrade gameplay-wise from a regular HDTV?

I know nothing about monitors, but from what little I could pick up the Hz is basically frames/second capability and the refresh rate will help with input lag?

Thanks to anyone who can help out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Gaming Monitor Question

240Hz is overkill since The Show doesn't even run a constant 60fps. In the future we might see 120fps if they can somehow optimize, or enable something like DLSS, or when the PS5 Pro comes along.

240Hz is more geared towards high-end PCs that can crank out high framerates, but even then it's overkill.

Last edited by jeffy777; 06-22-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuimus Troes
Is a Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz with 1ms refresh rate a massive upgrade gameplay-wise from a regular HDTV?

I know nothing about monitors, but from what little I could pick up the Hz is basically frames/second capability and the refresh rate will help with input lag?

Thanks to anyone who can help out!

Dude, it doesn't matter....playing The Show on any decent monitor will be a million times better than any high end TV. I would recommend anyone if they had a choice between a TV and a monitor for The Show you should always choose a monitor. Even if you're an average All-Star player playing on a TV, on a monitor you could prolly increase to HOF or Legend and even increase pitch speeds too.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

You're looking for response time, not refresh rate. As mentioned earlier in the thread the show is capped at 60 fps (fyi fps = hrz).

The 1 ms refers to pixel response, which is more what you're interested in, but even then it's a bit misleading. Pixel response is only one in a whole slew of factors that make up response time, and most of those posted numbers (like 1 ms) refer to grey-to-grey pixel response times, which is the easiest thing for monitors to do. It's entirely possible for a monitor with a 2 or 4 ms gtg to be faster with colours than a 1 ms monitor. There is a lot of misinformation going around.

I could get really in depth here, there is a lot to unpack here, but I'll make it short and sweet.

The G7 is a good monitor, and you're going to get a great response time out of it. Most MODERN (2018+) TVs are pretty competitive when it comes to response times and other things gamers care about. I'd recommend anything with the Samsung brand, though a word of warning: Samsung may be industry leading hardware, but you usually have to spend a lot of time hunting through convoluted menus in order to make it look and play it's best.

Samsung has terrible firmware (the pre-installed software) and a bad habit of having some of the worst out of box settings possible. True for both their TVs and monitors. Trust me I have both. Hardware = A+. Firmware = D after firmware updates, F before.

If you need this for both the PlayStation and a PC (even a thearetical future one), get the monitor. If it's just for the PlayStation, get a tv.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-24-2021, 12:08 AM   #5
Rookie

Thanks for the info, guys. It should arrive tomorrow. I'll hook up my ps5 to it and use it for a cpu in the future as well.

Warm Wind, I might hit you up about settings if it's really as user-unfriendly as you imply...!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf142
Dude, it doesn't matter....playing The Show on any decent monitor will be a million times better than any high end TV. I would recommend anyone if they had a choice between a TV and a monitor for The Show you should always choose a monitor. Even if you're an average All-Star player playing on a TV, on a monitor you could prolly increase to HOF or Legend and even increase pitch speeds too.
Yea I always wondered why I was so terrible at hitting. I had to hit on Rookie. Then I got a gaming monitor and my hitting instantly went up to veteran/All Star. This year I even flirted with Hall of Fame briefly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »