Home

What's the highest overall rookie you've ever drafted?

This is a discussion on What's the highest overall rookie you've ever drafted? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
What's the highest overall rookie you've ever drafted?

I fancied a new project so I started a franchise with the Nationals. I've just simmed year one to get ahead to this off-season but stopped for the draft. I drafted a 74 OVR third baseman but he didn't have much of an arm and looked far more suited to second. I loved him over and he shot up to 80 OVR! I've never seen a drafted player with an overall quite that high out of the gate. Great fielder already, a solid contact hitter against righties and lefties but could develop his vision and plate discipline.

Firstly, what's your highest overall rookie and what kind of player were they?

Secondly, teams almost never play guys straight out of the draft right? It seems silly not to play this guy because he's already far and away my best infielder but I like to keep things as realistic as possible. When can I call him up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What's the highest overall rookie you've ever drafted?

I drafted a 75 OVR rookie in my first draft with the Orioles, a 2B. I wound-up playing him from the beginning. Lackluster defense and terrible durability, but a solid bat. His warts showed, but he was productive offensively - which for me, was enough. But I've seen guys with similar OVRs who are pretty useless due less critical ratings biasing the OVR higher.

I'm of the opinion that there is nothing "wrong" or "unrealistic" in playing a draftee out of the gate. But, you have to look deeper than overall to justify playing him - to me, it is about what the player can do for you and if he can a fill a role without compromising his development. You also have to be cognizant of starting his arbitration clock earlier (i.e. Super 2 eligibility).

Lots of factors to weigh here....
Old 11-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #3
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

If I draft a guy and he's better than what else I have at that position, then I bring him up right away. Its my mlb world so he becomes a storyline.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 11-23-2022, 05:43 PM   #4
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

2B for some reason gives a huuuuge boost to overall for most players. It's weird.

Best I drafted so far is a 72 ovr LF. Spent most of his first year in Double A, but I moved him to Triple A at the end of the year. I was planning on starting him Triple A for his second season, but a Spring Training injury got him a chance on the opening day roster (though through 6 games he's 1 for 16, so it may not last much longer).

The Nationals drafted a catcher that was like 75 ovr or something. Made the All-Star team his first season, and doing even better early in his second season. He's up to 79 over. The A's had 2 players go straight to the majors, a 72 ovr 2B (up to 78 in y2), and low 70s ovr 1B who hit 29 HR and won AL Rookie of the Year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2022, 10:04 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

75, a couple times.
and anybody I draft 70 or above is definitely ready for triple A AFAIC,
I'm not sticking them in double A, and there's a good shot they'll make the 40 man roster
and get a cup of coffee in the big show their first year in my organisation

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Rookie

da5hitta's Arena

I drafted a 74 overall outfielder with real low 70’s contact and low 50’s power, along with respectable enough fielding and baserunning. Problem is he had a starting potential of 67 so I shamelessly upped it to the mid/high 70’s so he has a little room to grow.

I could’ve probably played him right away but I didn’t have an opening in RF his first year. He’s now on my 40 man roster in his 2nd season since I picked him, but hasn’t gotten up to the bigs yet. He’ll be first man up if there’s an injury.

The season before I snagged a 73 overall CF with an interesting skill set. Poor contact (high 30’s), solid power (low 70’s), poor vision and disciple (low 30’s), high 80’s fielding, low 60’s arm, and mid 90’s speed/stealing.

Brought him up after a year in the minors (he was hurt most of it anyway) and he’s held his own as 4th OF (he also has 2B eligibility which is nice). Low average but hits the occasional dinger and steals as much as possible. I bat him 8th and try to be patient with him and draw walks to take advantage of his speed. He’s also quite short so his strike zone is smaller. Whether that matters or not idk but it seems to be working.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #7
Rookie

I've done a handful of sims and I was rebuilding the Tigers and in my first draft I drafted Herb Williams. 1B who was only 18, 97 potential, and I think he started at a 76. His contact was over 70 for each and power over 65 for each. He was an all-star in year 2 and before long his contact was 88/92 and power 85/96. His career stats were amazing, I had him until he was 38 when he retired.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »