Home

That’s it for me

This is a discussion on That’s it for me within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: That’s it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
If you happen to have an Xbox or PS2, Major League Baseball 2K5 is quite underrated and is most enjoyable. And hopefully you have an old CRT because it looks absolutely marvelous on one..

I hear you tho, I've been a Show guy for ten years and often wish there were other options. Even though I really like 22.
I would absolutely be in heaven if I could have 2K5 with up to date rosters. I tried to update it once but the limitation to created players ruined it. But with the World Series Edition I have, I have enough fun playing historic moments. Best commentary, best animations, best atmosphere. For all around feel nothing beats MLB2K, even 12 and 13 are still fantastic.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
Video games aren't what they used to be, maybe it's just getting older that makes them less interesting.
No, I think it's just what you said: games aren't what they used to be. The way I know this is I almost exclusively play older sports titles with updated rosters and I still have tons of fun. But I've stopped entirely playing NHL, FIFA, and NBA2K's recent releases.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #19
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

I understand where you are...talking game specific, I'm there with the NBA 2k series. This game at one point was my favorite game. But, that was during a time when I was still actively playing ball myself. Now that I've gotten older(46) and the game has changed from how it was played when I was in my prime, I feel detached from it; not that there is anything wrong with how the game is played now, I was just so used to and preferred when it was a traditional Big Man's game. So now, when I play 2k, I just don't get any enjoyment out of it.

As for video games in general, I still have a love for them. I don't have the time to enjoy them like I used to with a wife and son and other obligations. I look at my game catalogue and say to myself, there is no way you can play all of those games. I will say that there are a couple of games on the horizon that I'm extremely excited about...ESBC Boxing and EA Sports College Football. With them bringing college football back, I know the juices will get flowing again.

Maybe it's just a season for you and after a while, you'll return...or maybe you're moving on to a different season in your life that includes leaving gaming behind. Whichever it is, it's okay...embrace it!
Old 05-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #20
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

OP it could be a number of reasons from outgrowing the game to burn out. If you still love sports though, maybe look at tabletop gaming.

I’ve moved away from some games and get my “fix” via tabletop basketball, Boxing, etc. plenty of great sports tabletop sims that give great, and realistic, results.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #21
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyoueven85
I’ve been a member of OS since 2011 when I had a different user name.
Hmm...I'll put $20 on previous banned user.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 0

A lot can be said on this topic.

This is the first title I haven't purchased since '08. Problem for me is certainly not outgrowing the game, as I still enjoy the previous version. Rather the year-in/year-out neglect of legacy issues in favor of new "features", none of which really impact actual gameplay. No need to list them all; you know what they are.

The general game features and engine have changed very little since 2016 or so, whereas major improvements had been made before. We've lost features, options, and entire game modes since.

Look at the immersion and endless options you have in something like OOTP. While they continue to find more ways to customize the experience and give you all the control you want, MLB the Show still doesn't even have functional managerial strategies for real MLB managers. I would've never predicted this in 2012. The final conclusion is, I think, they are driving the old gamers over to OOTP. The graphics and interactivity in this game are nice, but tweaking gameplay from year to year, often in a controversial and sometimes counter-productive manner (requiring endless patches to fix what shouldn't have been tinkered with in the first place) has left me realizing that whatever I'm looking for out of this game simply isn't going to happen.

I've watched this same process play itself out in various other sports vid games over the years. Never seen any studio ever reverse course on it, though.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #23
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
A lot can be said on this topic.

This is the first title I haven't purchased since '08. Problem for me is certainly not outgrowing the game, as I still enjoy the previous version. Rather the year-in/year-out neglect of legacy issues in favor of new "features", none of which really impact actual gameplay. No need to list them all; you know what they are.

The general game features and engine have changed very little since 2016 or so, whereas major improvements had been made before. We've lost features, options, and entire game modes since.

Look at the immersion and endless options you have in something like OOTP. While they continue to find more ways to customize the experience and give you all the control you want, MLB the Show still doesn't even have functional managerial strategies for real MLB managers. I would've never predicted this in 2012. The final conclusion is, I think, they are driving the old gamers over to OOTP. The graphics and interactivity in this game are nice, but tweaking gameplay from year to year, often in a controversial and sometimes counter-productive manner (requiring endless patches to fix what shouldn't have been tinkered with in the first place) has left me realizing that whatever I'm looking for out of this game simply isn't going to happen.

I've watched this same process play itself out in various other sports vid games over the years. Never seen any studio ever reverse course on it, though.
Is OOTP on console?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 05-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #24
Rookie

Iron's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Is OOTP on console?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk